Cooling system questions

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Cooling system questions

Postby Coolhand37 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Doing a coolant change on the truck and have a few questions.

First, there looks to be a valve where one of the heater hoses connects to that is leaking around the threads. Is there any way to repair this valve? Can I buy a new one somewhere, or is it best to just eliminate it? Below is a picture of the valve;

Second question, What is the part number of the coolant filter I'll need? I can't make out any numbers off the old filter.

Third and final, approximately how many gallons will I need to refill the system?

Thank you!!!
Coolhand37

Re: Cooling system questions

Postby Schultz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:38 pm

These valves are good: http://www.mcmaster.com/#45065k46/=okv03c

Baldwin # for filter is BW5071
Schultz

Postby oldspwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:14 am

McMaster Carr is a great place to buy from...

If the valve supplies water to the heater, I would definitely replace it and wouldn't eliminate it. You will want to shut it off in the summer to keep hot water from circulating in the heater core (or you will cook :) )

Tom
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm

Always nice to have the valve in place and operational should a leak occur in the heater system. You can shut the valve and protect the system. As for gallons of coolant required, it depends on the model. It appears your engine is a small inline Cummins and if the truck is a 300 series then it should take somewhere around 8 gallons of 50/50 mix to totally flush and refill.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Coolhand37 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks for the reply guys. I got Fleet Charge antifreeze to put back in. I hope that's the right stuff.
Coolhand37

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:53 am

That will be fine, I use it too.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Coolhand37 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:30 am

Do you guys have any tricks for getting the sight-glass on the top radiator tank to seal? The piece is actually glass and screws in with coarse threads then there is a rubber washer. Would some clear sealant work?
Coolhand37

Postby huskidrive 359 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 am

Kevin, clean the register that the O-ring sits in free of rust scale dirt etc. I found a replacement O-ring at the local hardware store. I put a light coat grease on the O-ring and turned it in by hand. Don't grab it with pliers or a channel lock and twist, I broke one this way. Paul
huskidrive 359

Postby Coolhand37 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:39 am

I seem to have all of the leaks fixed with the exception of the overflow valve.
Although, I have another question, what makes the louvers open and close on the radiator? Are they manually operated with a switch? I see an air line running to the side of the radiator, does this have anything to do with the louvers?
Thanks
Coolhand37

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, the shutters (proper term) are operated by air. Follow the air line from the actuation ram on the side of the radiator and down on the bottom you will see a device called a shutterstat. It monitors water temperature in the bottom of the radiator going back into the engine and turns the air on or off to the ram. Now follow the other air line over towards the steering shaft above the left front frame rail. Here is a small reservoir/lubricator plumbed to the air system. There is a small brass tee handle on a valve to turn the air supply on at the lubricator. With the air turned on, the shutters will open and close as determined by water temp. With the air supply off, the shutter will be locked open. Hope this helps. Stan
Last edited by Huskiedrive361 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Coolhand37 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm

This helps a ton! Thank you Stan!
Coolhand37

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help