100th Brockway Anniversary

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

100th Brockway Anniversary

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:16 pm

Suggest we all brainstorm publicizing our 100th Anniversary doin's next August and gather suggestions for the best way to get the word out to collectors large and small, Early enough that folks can plan ahead to attend.
I'm suggesting BTPS Home page be updated soon (ASAP) to provide info to non members who Google "Brockway" looking for information. That would seem the primary source for interested owners/ collectors/ enthusiasts.

Emery
Last edited by Emery Johnston on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Re: 100th Brockway Anniversary

Postby Brockway POWER » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Agree.

Also, I was looking at the Wheels of Time recap of the ATHS National show from 2003 and I was amazed at the amount of Brockways that made that show that I have never seen since. Get them on the road folks! At least once a year!
Brockway POWER

Postby Brocky » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Emery

Thank you for starting this new topic.. Do you (or a moderator) know how to move my last post on the other topic to this one??

A booth at the ATHS show might get expensive (but worth it??), as that outfit is sorta money hungry and also what is the possibility of a booth at ATCA Macungie?? I am willing to help man a booth both places as I am planning on doing both shows in one trip north.

Hemmings Classic Car magazine has 2 columns each month: "news reports" and "club news" with a 3x5 picture and a long caption. They are now dedicating the last 8 pages to trucks so they might publish it free as news? No idea what a 1/4 or 1/3 page advertisement would cost??? If no one on the BTPA board recieves this mag let me know and I will Pony Express you one of my copies.

Other magazines are Shirley Spoonholtz's "Old Time Trucks", since Stan writes tech articles for her maybe we could get a deal. Also Pat Ertel's "Vintage Truck", he leans more toward pick ups but it is also sold at Tractor Supply.

Tom
Are you or your Dad aware of any other northeastern publications which would get the word out to Brockway owners???

Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Friends of mine own Hemming's and I've just now emailed both brothers asking for a contact that can help us begin to publicize the event and possibly get an article. I don't want to get over my head and do anything outside the interest of our BOD so I'll be in touch prior to any actions.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Brocky » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Emery

Very good on the Hemmings contact.
What BTPA has to do is try to get as much info out as "NEWS", which is free rather than advertisements which will cost us money. Our non-profit status should help us in that direction

Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 am

Here's a thought for our members who take their trucks to other shows around the country. Any of us could mount a banner advertising Brockway 100th Anniversary Show on our truck, Include the date and Website for more info. There are a lot of Brockway owners out there who have never attended and if we can get some current info on the home page early (soon) maybe we can increase participation. Is there an ATHS show again this year on the Sunday following?? The more I get into this the more I realize there's not much info out there for us to help promote our event
The ATHS show is another draw for owners and aficionados to come spend the weekend with us. Wouldn't we all like to see 200 Brockways there this year??
Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Emery Johnston » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:31 am

I also think we should immediately post a notice in ANNOUNCEMENTS AND HOW-TOs giving specific dates and activities including the parade, registration and Grand Opening details including any Spring Fling plans. This could be done easily right now,today without hesitation while the home page may be a bit more technical, involved and time consuming. Any board member could pony-up and do this in a matter of minutes if he has some information . Even if it's not complete it can be added to and modified as information becomes available.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Brocky » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:32 am

I just checked and both ATHS and ATCA have thrie 2012 show calendars up and running so whoever is in charge of this should get us listed ASAP as the 100th Anniv Celebration.

I do not know if BTPA or the Cortland County tourism people is in charge of show promotion, or if they work togather. Hopefully somebody in Cortland will direct the county people to this topic as they might have more ideas and/or connections to help get the word out.

Another idea?? As soon as the flyers are designed, make them printer friendly here so that each member can print up a 1/2 dozen and hang them on local bulliten boards: convience stores,work lunch rooms, truck dealers, parts stores, churches, barber shops, WHERE EVER!!
Remember how we knew the Ringling Bros Circus and Joey Chittwood were coming to the county fair?? There was a poster on every telephone pole!!!

Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Brocky, Printable Posters? GREAT IDEA!!! Let's hope we can get this rolling soon. That will give us National Distribution, even International (Forgot about our friends down under)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Official flyers aren't usually done until April prior to the show. Emery - I would suggest that contact Shirley Randolph directly with these ideas so that we all move in a uniform direction. Your help is GREATLY appreciated!!! We need more volunteers.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby sbrant358 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:10 pm

I think the idea of printable flyers that everyone can print their own and hang up somewhere is great. i know i plan on making it to a few shows this summer, and coming to Cortland in August. Especially if you either have a Brockway at a show or find one and kindly ask the owner if you could hang the flyer near their truck, that would work.
Shelby
sbrant358

Postby Emery Johnston » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Doesn't have to be an "Official" poster just an approved and factual poster that we all can print and distribute. That's one hell of an Idea!!!! If nothing else, we can come up with something amongst ourselves and post it here as an attachment or file. Tom, how would we do that?? I know the board members are swamped and this is more load for them, so anything we can do amongst ourselves, without stepping on toes will help.
Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby sbrant358 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Emery,
You should be able to just attach the file when you make a post the same way you would attach a picture to a post. My suggestion would be to use a common file type such as a PDF.
Shelby
sbrant358

Postby Brocky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 pm

Stan
Can you shoot Shirley an email to join in on this topic so we do not overload her with the same idea from multiple sources.
Is there any possibility of getting the official flyer designed and out earlier??
Thanks
Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:02 am

Brocky, I already shot Shirley an email inviting her to follow along on the conversation. She has a work email address so she may not get it until Monday AM. Just tried to explain what's going on and that we need facts so we can promote accurately.
The organization really does need more volunteers and this is something those of us who are geographically challenged can do and do well as long as we coordinate with the "Home Team".
(The South Will Rise Again!)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Brocky » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:54 am

Emery

You are the Man!!!! Connections everywhere!!
Thanks for getting Shirley in the loop.
Brocky
Brocky

Postby Brocky » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 am

In reference to Tom's and Brockway Power's comments on the Pic of the Week topic, which started all of this, about Brockways that appear a single show then dissapear and never come to Cortland.

Can we develop a form letter of invitation, on a BTPA letterhead, Review the ATHS Showtime book (which only has City names) and mail them an invite to this years celebration.

If I had the basic letter (in a printer friendly form) to work with, I am willing to do the research of finding the addersses and mailing them out.

Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Brocky, I'll be happy to do the word smithing and we can make a letterhead for Friends of the BTPA if nothing else. Email me direct and we'll discuss what we need. First we need accurate dates which I don't have.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Sorry but I don't have the date for next years show yet. Shirley will have to respond.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Sled Dog » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

The dinner, auction and Fireworks are on Friday August 10, 2012, and The Brockway Show is Saturday August 11, 2012.
Sled Dog

Next

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion