Brockway fleets

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Brockway fleets

Postby tomcat361 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 am

Tomcat 361
Back in the day there were many fleets and smaller operators that ran Brockways!!
One that comes back to me was Ruffalos out of Newark Ny . They also had warehouses.I"m sure they hauled a lot of Welchs products ! They ran dark Blue tractors that looked like 257s but were gas jobs!! 572s ?? I know they ran good at the time !! The penn can now known as I 81 was not opened! And Rt 11 also know as the trail was the gateway to New York from Scranton Pa .They used to stop at Naros Truck Stop on Rt. 611 !! This was long before I 380 was built! They had stacks and most people thought
they were diesels. My friend Tony Mecca said he heard one with that rumbling backfire sounds that brockways had and then realize it was Gas job!! On the doors it said Ruffalo Trucking Operated by Mary Santino !! I can remember how great those trucks ran!!! Another story was that in Walts Truck Stop on r46 in Delaware NJ some one wrote
on the mens room wall that when entering Pa the speed limit for cars and trucks was 50mph and you guys with Macks please keep to the right and do the best you can!!
A Blast from the Past!!! TomCat 361
tomcat361

Re: Brockway fleets

Postby brockway74 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:42 am

I keep telling y'all that you guys are lucky. Y'all can talk about several fleets. There were at least two here in my part of North Carolina. There was Carolina Freight out of Cherryville, NC. I understand they ran some sort of cabovers in the late 60's, early 70's. I guess 457's but not sure. Then my dump truck came from Kerns Trucking out of Kings Mountain, NC. Well, they were the first owner. I got it about 3 or 4 owners later. That was the 361 tandem. It's white with red trim, just like the Kerns trucks are still to this day.
Josh Guffey (Brockway74)
brockway74

Postby Double Dog » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Tom,
I am going to try my luck at posting a picture!
This is a picture of one of the later Ruffalo/Santino Trucking Brockways.
I purchased this truck from Herr's Motor Express out of Canandaigua, New York in the mid 90's.Herr's had bought out Ruffalo/Santino Trucking.
A good friend of mine was a mechanic/driver for Santino's and has many good stories to tell about this truck going to New York hauling can goods. When Herr's purchased the company he went to work for Herr's as their head mechanic and used the truck as a tow truck , "Happy Hooker".
As you mentioned most all of their trucks were blue with this one as the exception, the line sheet has them ordering it in red.
I sold the truck to friend Doug Fetterly who actually did some trucking with it for a while, he has since sold the truck.
This truck came with a 220 Cummins and later was changed to a 270 with a 10 speed.

Ray
Attachments
65 Brockway.jpg
Ray Hildreth

N361TLY
F257T
B61T
W925
Double Dog

Postby Pete » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Anyone remember Beaney Transport Brockport NY.They were the first ones I remember .They hauled for Canada Packers into US.They laid over at the New Toronto Hotel on Lakeshore Rd.Early 60's Red diesels 257's 260's
Pete
too many trucks too little time
Pete

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Antbody remember Red Star express out of Auburn NY or Proscino and Rossi (P&R Macaroni) also out of Auburn? My dad used to sell them Brockways in the late forties early fifties.
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:24 pm

How about Penn Yan Express? Big time Brockway user right up 'til the plant closed. Stan
Attachments
penn_yan_brockway.jpg
Huskiedrive361

Postby dockmen027 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Emery Johnston wrote:Antbody remember Red Star express out of Auburn NY or Proscino and Rossi (P&R Macaroni) also out of Auburn? My dad used to sell them Brockways in the late forties early fifties.

Boss-Linco Brockway from Hank's.

JJ scan0096_boss_linco.jpg

Here is a Dave Faust photo of the only Red Star Express Brockway's that I've ever seen.
Attachments
DSF Scan10975.jpg
John K
dockmen027

Postby quadbox » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:59 pm

Defazio Express Moosic,Penna. ran a good sized fleet of mostly 359 Brockway's. They were 6-71 powered,10 speed spicer,single axle and power steering,not too many fleets had P.S. in early seventies.He also had some 359 with Huskiedrive and 8V-71 Detroits,a few 358'S with250 Cummins these were tandems for the heavier backhauls for mostly P+G.Once in awhile you catch an old Defazio Truck sitting in the weeds or behind a garage. Hmielski South Plainfield,New Jersey ran some 359 Brockways also.Joe D.
quadbox

Postby Brocky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 pm

How about Ithaca Delivery out of Ithaca NY. I worked for them as a mechanic and part time driver in Syracuse in 67 & 68. They were an all Brockway fleet for as long as I can remember. When they bought a new tractor they retired the next oldest ones down the line to long peddle runs, then city work, and finally behind the garage to be cannibalized.
They only had terminals in Ithaca, Cortland and Syracuse. Serviced Elmira and Auburn with long peddle runs from Ithaca. Heavy loads of timing chains from Morse Chain (later Borg Warner) in Ithaca on single axle 359 gas jobs. The Cortland terminal hauled lots of loads of typerwriters from Smith Carona in Groton. Cummins engines from Roadway in Syracuse to Brockway in Cortland. Their fleet trailers were 35 ft Freuhaufs with the tandems set ahead but we also pulled railroad and interline trailers (Transamerican, Time-DC, Roadway and other 40 footers with west coast tandems) which were fun with single axle tractors.

Roots Express in Binghampton also ran a few Brockways mixed in with their Whites.
Brocky
Brocky

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks for the Red Star picture Dockmen!! I've saved it and hope it's good enough quality to print for my wall.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby 359Huskidrive » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Service,Cardinale,Shawmut Express out of Boston, and Chespeake out of Balt.
When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!
359Huskidrive

Postby dockmen027 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

AR Gundry of Rochester, 361's powered by 6-71 Detroits with 13 speed Roadrangers.
Worked there from 1977 to 1980 in Albany, post Brockways, after Leaseway (Refiners Transport) bought them out.
Attachments
JJ scan0026 260XW.jpg
brockwaytruck6 361.jpg
John K
dockmen027

Postby Brocky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Dockman
Thanks for reminding me about Gundry. Remember them from when I worked at Bonded Freightways (later Matlack) in Syracuse. On that same note I now remember a Terpening (sp??) also in Syracuse that had some Brockways. Lots of chrome and staight pipes on Detroits? Want to say one of them was at the 2003 ATHS natl show in Syracuse??
Brocky
Brocky

Postby dockmen027 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 am

Brocky wrote:Dockman
Thanks for reminding me about Gundry. Remember them from when I worked at Bonded Freightways (later Matlack) in Syracuse. On that same note I now remember a Terpening (sp??) also in Syracuse that had some Brockways. Lots of chrome and staight pipes on Detroits? Want to say one of them was at the 2003 ATHS natl show in Syracuse??
Brocky

Brocky,
I remember seeing Terpening on the Thruway early on, 1977-83, but no Brockways, I believe they were R-models at the time. (Edit: I was just corrected, they were KW's) Today they run fancy KW's and tri-axle tanks, I'll take a photo and PM you with it, they run out of the Port of Albany for some gas stations in this area.

You mention Bonded/Syracuse, I was just talking to someone who worked there "way back when". I can ask this person if he has any Terpening Brockway photos.
Last edited by dockmen027 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
John K
dockmen027

Postby John Woge » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 am

Double Dog wrote:Tom,
I purchased this truck from Herr's Motor Express out of Canandaigua, New York in the mid 90's.Herr's had bought out Ruffalo/Santino Trucking.
A good friend of mine was a mechanic/driver for Santino's and has many good stories to tell about this truck going to New York hauling can goods. When Herr's purchased the company he went to work for Herr's as their head mechanic and used the truck as a tow truck , "Happy Hooker".
As you mentioned most all of their trucks were blue with this one as the exception, the line sheet has them ordering it in red.
I sold the truck to friend Doug Fetterly who actually did some trucking with it for a while, he has since sold the truck.
This truck came with a 220 Cummins and later was changed to a 270 with a 10 speed.

Ray

Was this one of the old Ruffalo/ Santino tractors ? I found it, in a yard around Hazleton,Pa. a few years ago. Most of the Herrs tractors.....I noticed.....were usually red and white Freightliners. I wondered about the blue one when I took the photo. Did Herrs buy any Brocks new ? John
Attachments
more brocks6172Spring 2006.jpg
John Woge

Postby dockmen027 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:27 am

Double Dog wrote:Tom,

Ray

Here is one of Doug's photos of the "Happy Hooker"

John K
dockmen027

Postby Double Dog » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 am

John,
According to my friend who worked for Herr's they did buy some new 361 Brockway's.
Before the Canandaigua terminal closed they had a red and white Brockway tractor out back. As you mentioned they had many cabover White Freightliners that were red and white. Some of there last cabover Freightliners were blue.
I am going to post another view of the truck I had from the side to show the logo. This photo was taken when I had it in Buffalo in 1994 at the ATHS convention.
Thank you for the response and interesting photo!!!

Dockmen 027,
Thought you would like this other photo of the "Happy Hooker" loaded and ready to roll when Doug Fetterly had it!
Thank you to for your interest!!
Ray
Attachments
Happy Hooker.jpg
65 Brockway 001.jpg
Ray Hildreth

N361TLY
F257T
B61T
W925
Double Dog

Postby John Woge » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 pm

Back in the 80's...I used to load alot of tin cans out of a can plant in Lyons, NY. There was a local Herrs driver, that hauled empty cans to some of the local caneries. He had a red and white Brock....pretty well whipped...wonder if it was the same one ?
John Woge

Postby john505 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 am

my fathers steel company in nyc, at one time had a fleet of brockway trucks-358 and some brockway highcabs. most were single axles, some tandams. This place had some 75 tractor trailors at one time, working in 10 steel warehouse up and down east coast. The place was hugh. But after more then 70 years in like most cases times changed and they shut down 10 yrs ago. Too bad really good company to work for.
john505

Postby dockmen027 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:02 pm

john505 wrote:my fathers steel company in nyc, at one time had a fleet of brockway trucks-358 and some brockway highcabs. most were single axles, some tandams. This place had some 75 tractor trailors at one time, working in 10 steel warehouse up and down east coast. The place was hugh. But after more then 70 years in like most cases times changed and they shut down 10 yrs ago. Too bad really good company to work for.

Could this be it?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1328&hilit=thypin+steel
John K
dockmen027

Next

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion