E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:25 pm

Now that the 155W is 95% complete, I figured it would be a good time to start our next project. I had a lot of positive feedback at Cortland this year regarding my ‚155W Progress Posts‚ so I figured I would continue on with the next truck.

Prior to 2000, my Dad and I occasionally talked about restoring a Brockway. As time went on, he retired and I built a garage so I figured it was good time to start. My Dad originally purchased a 1946 260XW and then I followed in 2000 with the 1955 155W. Four years later, we learned about a 361 that was in storage a few miles from the house. It turns out that it was stored in the same warehouse that we used to store our two cars in over the winter months. My Dad always talked about getting a 361 so we went to take a look at it. It was a 1970 E361T with a 671 Detroit and a RT910 Roadranger in it. It was stuffed in the back of the garage sitting in front of an Autocar. Here is a pic from when we first looked at it back in February of 2004.

It turns out the previous owner had bought it from someone who performed an amateur restoration, basically just some paint. So in March of 2004 a deal was made and we finally pulled the truck outside in order to get it ready to drive home..

With some help from a forklift and a couple of fresh batteries, we were able to get it started...

It had good oil pressure and held air so we decided to drive it home...

Just before bringing it home we started to learn a little more history about the truck. It was originally purchased by Sears Oil in Albany in 1970. Sears actually ordered 10 trucks from Brockway in 1970. They were all E361T‚ and were consecutively numbered 73435 through 73444. We confirmed this by requesting the original chassis record from the Mack Museum in Allentown. There was also an excellent article on Sears Oil and its trucks in Brockway Today a few years back.

Our truck turned out to be S21, which was still evident on the air cleaner although it was painted over. At Cortland this year S23 was for sale. Here is a pic to show what the truck would have originally looked like back in the day...

After we got the truck home, we quickly realized it was extremely rusty. The floors, fenders, back of the cab, rear frame, WOW‚ not good. But anyway, rust free cores are few and far in between so we figured we would drive on and deal with what we had. Even sitting still in the garage, the truck was raining rust and oil all over the floor. So we moved it outside and gave it a good bath...

After the bath we immediately started in on the floor and floor supports. Here is what we started with...

And here is what we ended up with after (without the sheet metal installed...)

After the floors I started looking at the air and fuel lines. The fuel lines were literally crumbing in my hands and I started to think that it was nothing short of a miracle that we were able to drive it home. We had plans on taking it to our local show in Harford (2004) but unfortunately realized it just wasn’t going to happen. Shortly after that, we decided that instead of working on two trucks at once, we would finish one and then move on to the other. The 155W was picked to be first since it was much further along. So the 361 got put on the back burner and was moved to the back of the garage

In the meantime, we started collecting parts. We were able to find a Farr air cleaner, decent steel front fenders, a pair of glass fenders, a new radiator, a chrome bumper and a bunch of misc. parts. We even had new frame rails made to replace the rusted and cracked ones.

More to follow...
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
oldspwr

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby Brockway700 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:42 pm

very nice, cant wait to see how this one goes, if it turns out as nice as the 155 then we all know how nice it will look! On a side note, progress on my E361 is not even as far ahead as you are! but i installed an old exhaust pipe i found that amazingly lines up right with the stack, and i installed a new Emergency shut off cable, which doesnt make much of a difference because the baffles inside the motor arent closing. :roll: Good luck and post LOTS of pics!
- Ted Bombola
Brockway700

Postby diamondmike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Tom - I was going to ask if it was a Sears tractor until I read further. I have a Double Clutch with the article by Andy Hill. The pics so far are great! I think it's neat to see the guys standing around when you pulled it outside.This will be a great thing to follow along. Thanks, Mike
diamondmike

Postby oldspwr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 am

Thanks for the comments... Glenn, good question... Here's the plans (so far... but subject to change...)

- the truck is going to be built like it is going to be used. I will keep the wet line on it since our intention is to buy a low-boy in the future and pull the 155W and possibly the '46 260XW (in the distant future :) )
- the frame is going to be red and more than likely the cab and fenders will be dark metallic blue
- the original rear frame rails will be cut out and replaced with new. The truck will remain a single axle tractor but we are going to install a late model air ride suspension in lieu of the springs. We talked about doing that occasionally over the past few years and made the decision on the way up to Cortland while on 81 in the 155W :lol:
- we are going to add power steering to the truck. We already have a chrome reservoir and will have the box soon. We still need to get the pump to bolt on the Detroit and we would like to get the smaller diameter factory steering wheel.
- the front spokes will be changed out to Budds (sorry Quadbox...)
- the interior will be tan and we already have new Bostrom air ride seats (Xmas present last year :) )

Ok... Fast forward to two weeks ago :roll: Over the past 4 years, the truck became a 'catch all' for misc. parts and literally was cornered in the garage...

It also helped stored various fenders...

So two weeks ago I decided it was time to remove the cab... I made sure I labeled all the misc. cables, hoses, etc. and 3 bolts later it was up in the air...

I wheeled it outside an blew 4 years worth of dust, etc. off of it...

More to follow...
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks Glenn... no jake brake yet but I did fill an empty hole in the dash with "Jacobs" switch ...

After removing the cab with the fork lift I set it on the dolly we made for the 155W. I like Stan's dolly idea so I may fabricate one out of steel in the near future with some better casters (mine seem to to have mind of their own...)

Then I started to remove the aluminum trim that holds the roof on. Lots of corrosion between the dissimilar metals. Only 1/2 the screws came out on their own. The rest had to be drilled out... We already have new aluminum trim from McMaster Carr and I was able to pick up a set of new drill rails from Stan awhile back.

Now that the molding was off we removed the windshield (very carefully!!!), and then lifted the roof off. It was a good thing we did since the pass side top section where the roof screws too was badly rusted.

We spent a few hours last night removing items from the firewall. My son was supervising :)

After cleaning off the firewall, we were finally able to remove the dash. We just sent it inside the cab for now...

That's it for now. Hopefully this weekend we can start some sheet
metal repair.
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby diamondmike » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Tom - you probably already know- - in the Double Clutch article there is a pic of your tractor. Says it was bought by Cook Bros. Mike
diamondmike

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 am

I didn't remember the article Mike was referring to so I emailed him yesterday. He responded that it was in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue of Double Clutch. So I went home and dug up the issue... Andy Hill wrote an article on the history of Sears Oil and included this picture with the article. Thanks Mike!!!

Tom
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby quadbox » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:53 pm

Tom Another interesting project of yours to take us through the long winter. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby BrockwayMT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:13 pm

Nice truck. Not feeling the Budd wheels on the front. Mine won't be restored for a while. It's the only one driveable so know tearing that one apart until a make one of the other ones roadworthy...or buy another one...lol.
BrockwayMT

Postby Emery Johnston » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Tom, Another nice project! Looking forward to updates, but ixnay on the Budds!:-)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby anthony masone sr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:04 am

HI Tom Thanks for the lead for the window parts it was easy and I ordered them.
Looking at the pictures of your 155 the roof molding I noticed that the radius was closer you did not have holes in the band when I look at the picture of the 361 the radius is longer and you could see that the holes fall right in the curve of the windshield that's where I had the problem I know you're a long way from putting your molding on I am in the process of converting one of my tubing benders to try to over come the problem. I haven't tried to put the new molding on yet! I have so many other things to do. I am working on converting new wheels which was supposed to be easy. but log nut problems occurred
Thanks Tony
Tony's Brockway Pick Up
anthony masone sr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:20 pm

WOW, a lot of feedback about the Budd’s up front! With all this I am tempted to put them all the way around!!!‚ Sorry guys, we have a thing for polished wheels...

We made a lot of progress this weekend‚ some of it was disassembly and some was fabrication. We started by replacing the lower sections just in front of the doors and just below the vents. Both sides were rusted and repaired with newspaper, rags and bondo :)...

Here is what I started with...

I picked up this tool at the local hardware store, and it used to copy contours, etc. It came in pretty handy here checking the original contour...

I picked up this tool off Ebay a while back. It’s a shrinker/stretcher (American Made, Eastwood also has them) and I was able to use it to match the new piece to the original contour.

After spending just a minute with the tool I was able to match the original contour...

After trial fitting the piece numerous times and notching out for the hinge, I welded it in place and ground the welds down...

Here’s a side view of the driver side where I had to wrap around the corner and plug weld it to the door jam‚...

We were also able to remove the back of the cab skin and access the damage to the bottom reinforcement pieces...

And finally, my Dad completely stripped the dash down. Here is what he started with...

That’s it for now!
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:22 am

Here are some progress pics from this past week and weekend...

During the week I started on repairing the cracked cowl. My best guess is that the strut rod worked loose and the hammering from the weight of the radiator, created this...

I spent some time with the hammer and dolly, carefully knocking everything back in place. After all the cracks were lined back up, I would tack them with the mig to hold them in place. After everything was tacked, I opened the cracks up with the dremel so the weld would have to something to fill and not just lay on top...

I then moved on to the rear of the cab again, and started to remove the 12 gauge piece that the rear skin wraps on underneath.

Here’s the typical problem... Bare metal against bare metal with no protection (primer, paint, etc‚) So the end result is a lot of rust.

The back of the cab was also hit at one time and bowed the upper structure in (as you can see from the waves...)

So I cut a piece of 1” box to help reinforce it and straighten it out. Using another similar piece on the outside, I 'C' clamped everything together and welded the inside piece in place.

While I was working on the cab, my Dad started stripping the paint on the doors. Fortunately the last painter didn’t use any primer, and the paint stripper went straight through the factory red paint and primer right to bare metal.

Fortunately these doors are in much better shape than the ones I used on my 155W (68 361). There is still some rust under the leading edge of the skin near the hinges, so I will have to cut this out and replace it. I am still going to have the doors sandblasted regardless just to get in all the tight spots.

In lieu of replacing the whole back cab panel, I am going to take a crack at repairing the original one. I don’t believe it’s in that bad of shape so I decided to cut off the bottom ...

I have enough 18 gauge to replace it, and I'll add more pics showing how I did it when the time comes...

Last but not least, I started to get the 5/16x24 bolts ready for the door hinges. I am going to clean them up in the sand blast cabinet with some glass beads...

That’s it for now...
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:46 am

Ok, so this past weekend I decided the spent some time on the rear cab panel. On my 155W, I had a sheet metal shop fab a new one. You have to special order a 5x8 sheet since the overall dimensions are 49 x 54... To keep it as original as possible, I cut the rear recess for the window out of the original and welded it into the new one. In lieu of having a new panel made, I felt I could salvage this panel since it wasn’t too far gone. My goal was to make it with the tools I have, including a 4’ brake and a 3’ jump shear.

Here is what I started with... the original panel with approx. 8” cut off the bottom.

To begin I sheered two pieces of 18 gauge and then I used some self etching primer and then painted in the area where the hem would be...

I then bent each piece as far as the brake would go, maybe 120 degrees...

Then by taking a piece of 1/8 x 1 flat stock, I used the brake to finish the hem...

After some trimming, I made the two final bends and laid the pieces out.

I then made a jig with my fork lift extensions (6” box) and some 1” box steel to hold everything in place...

Then after some welding with the mig, making sure that I bounced back and forth to avoid any warping, I stitched all the pieces together. I also filled the holes in for the trailer wiring and surface mounted lights...

Then after some grinding this is what I wound up with..

As for the X in the panel, I do need to continue it into the new sections I weld in. That’s another set of pictures at another time :)

Then on Sunday, we took a ride up to Stan’s in Horseheads and picked up a front end from a 760. We bought this for the power steering box, brackets, etc. Stan was also kind enough to show up his collections of parts!

That’s it for now...

Tom
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:07 am

Lookin' Good Tom!! Even got a set of Ghetto wheels with that front end! :-)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:13 pm

Sorry Emery, they're not for sale!!! :lol:
oldspwr

Postby brockway74 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:13 pm

Hello, Tom and everybody else. Truck looks great but I've got to change the subject for a minute. Is that snow on the ground and in the air? Man it's a little chilly today but supposed to be 75 here in NC on Thursday. I guess all that salt and snow is what caused you to have to do all that work to the cab on this 361.
Josh Guffey (Brockway74)
brockway74

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 pm

Josh, don't know about you but I get tired of running around in a T-shirt all the time and I sure miss shoveling snow! Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Hi Josh...

Yes, you're right... That's snow on the ground. I woke up Tuesday morning with 8" plus on the ground. By the time I got home from work at 4:30, there was over 14". Hard to believe for October 28! Not to mention we were out of power to 36 hours...

Tom
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:06 pm

YIKES!!! And I need to drive up to Cortland next weekend to pick up an engine!!!! CRAP!!
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Next

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion