E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby 776brock » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Great project! You put that beautiful chrome stack on before you began dis-assembly?
776brock

Postby Brockway Express » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for the update....some of us Brockway Junkies Needed a mid winter fix!
Brockway Express

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Your project is coming along good now! Those aluminum shim under the front fender mounts are factory items. They compensate for differences in front end options like double frame (only one shim then) or reinforcement plates for snow plow (no shims). Keeps the fenders at the right "total" width on the truck. Tom - as for your new lower front crossover, current DOT regulations require the fuel crossover line from tank to tank be run through the square tubing instead of being attached to the outside to prevent the line being damaged and a fuel spill. I doubt they'd ever bother a hobby truck, but I thought I'd mention it. Great photos and information thanks for the update. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby oldspwr » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:41 pm

776Brock... The chrome stack came from the junkyard for $20... Originally we thought we were going to drive the truck for a while but it was too far gone (bad fuel lines, air lines, bad floor, etc...)

Stan... Thanks for the info on the shims. I thought they were factory. I am going to make two new ones from 1/2 plate.

I spent a few hours in the house this morning helping Tommy set up some of his new toys, and then I headed out in the garage. We when last left off, I had the rails stacked on the floor...

So I decided to start working on the passenger rail first. Someone hacked a hole in it for whatever reason...

So I cut a piece of 1/4" plate and used it to fill the hole. Here it is tacked in place...

After I welded the hole up, I ground down the splice welds with a 36 grit flapper wheel...

The model/serial number is located on the bottom of the pass. rail, so I wire brushed it quick. It's interesting how they also included the wheel base in the number as well...

Then we moved on to the driver side rail. This rail required a lot more work since it had to be modified to add power steering. After grinding the splice weld, I laid the donor 760 rail next to the 361 rail for comparison...

The 361 rail needs to have a section removed to accept the much larger Sheppard box (in lieu of the original Ross manual box.) To add strength back into the frame, a piece of C channel fits over the frame followed by an angle. The pic below shows those pieces laid over the 361 frame...

Then I marked the 361 where it needed to be cut...

After much cutting and grinding, I wound up with this. You can see there are a few holes that will need to be filled. One other thing to note... the 760 rail is a 10" tall rail while the 361 rail is 9" tall. You can see how the frame in the top of the pic starts to taper up towards 10".

After some more filing, I test fit the C channel piece. Here is a pic from underneath...

In the pic above you can see how there are two spacers that are welded to the C channel. They will need to be milled down 1/8" since the 361 rail is 1/4" and the 760 is 3/8" thick.

To finish off the day, I filled the 3 holes mentioned before...

And then ground them smooth...

So that's it for today... Tomorrow we'll drill the holes for the Sheppard box and load up the remaining parts for the sandblaster. I hope everyone enjoys the posts and much as I enjoy writing them!

Tom
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:56 pm

Lookin good Tom. You should make some good progress this week while you're on vacation. You will have a rolling chassis soon. Think you'll make August?
Huskiedrive361

Postby quadbox » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 am

Lots of progress Tom and Tom. One down 155 2 to go 361 and 761. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby 776brock » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:34 pm

After retiring from 36 years in the car and truck repair business I can tell you really know your stuff in the pictures of your restoration.If I can be nosey is that your primary business or more of a hobby.I did notice you have a Batmobile there?
I wish you much luck in the completion of the project,It looks great and is done right. have a great new year!

Nick
776brock

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Nick... no, this is just a hobby of mine. I'm an engineer by trade. I was fortunate enough to score some of the bigger pieces of equipment from a local shop. It's all 40's and 50's vintage and I couldn't be happier with it. The Batmobile was a project for a friend of mine that I helped with.

Ok, so here is a quick update of what we worked on last week.

When we last left off, I had just finished modifying the driver side frame rail for the power steering box. After filling the bolt holes, I had to re-drill new 11/16” holes to mount the Sheppard box. So we decided to put the rail back in the milling machine to drill it…

This was last Sunday night, and I really wanted to get the rails loaded on the trailer so my Dad could deliver them to the sandblaster Monday morning. The last few holes really fought us, and we struggled with the 11/16” bit. I don’t have the ‘knack’ to sharpen them on a grinding wheel, and when all was said and done, I had to use cheap stepper bits. Here is what we wound up with…

Then we took the rails outside and loaded them on the trailer…

We also had the remaining parts from the frame ready to go (motor mounts, front suspension mounting parts, etc…)

My Dad dropped them off early Monday morning, but the guy was not able to get the them… We patiently waited by the phone all week with no luck. So we decided to work on some other things in the meantime…

The first thing I did was mill the 3/8” thick spacers down on the back of the C channel to 1/4" (Remember the 361 frame is 1/4" thick while the 760 frame is 3/8”

I also had to mill a little more space for the bumper bracket…

While I was working on the bracket, my Dad was busy cleaning up the spring pins and clutch rod. Looks like the clutch rod is ok but the spring pins will need to be replaced. Ray H. was able to provide a Flagg part number for new pins…

I then decided to work on the motor mounts. The 3/4" bolts were seized in the metal spacers/bushings, so with the help of the press and some heat I was able to separate them.

Here it what was left of the nylon ‘cushion’. I was able to locate a new set through Craig M.

I also pressed out the bushings for the clutch rod since they were worn. McMaster Carr has these new for under $3.00 a piece…

Last but not least, my Dad threaded a piece of 1/2" rod to replace the badly rusted clutch adjustment rod. McMaster Carr also had new clevises that are more than reasonable…

Well that’s it for now…
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:17 pm

Soon after my last post, I was pulling in my driveway on my way home from work and my Dad had just backed in with the trailer and a load of sandblasted parts. I don’t know how the guy did it, but he sandblasted everything in 25 degree weather!

So here is the load of misc. parts for the frame…

And here are the rails… My Dad had these wrapped in a brown tarp to prevent them from rusting since the roads were still a little wet…

So I started going through the parts and had to touch up a few of the edges, etc. Then we started hanging them…

To help primer the rails, I used 2 pieces of ½ threaded rod, both in the front and the back, and them set them on jack stands using angle iron on its edge. At least this way we would be able to cover as much of the rails as possible…

I then realized I should press the spring pin bushings out of the rear front spring hangers before we started painting. We put the pass. side in the press and with one crank on the jack… BANG!!!! , the old bushing shot out like a missile…

We weren’t so lucky with the driver side. This bushing did not want to budge in the press. So I decided to chuck it up in the mill and using a 1” end mill to help ‘thin’ it out…

Here is what finally came out of there…

So the next night we started with the primer. This time I even let my Dad handle the gun for a little while…

Shortly thereafter my buddy Mike came over and took over for us. Two days later, we laid all the parts out to get a quick inventory…

That’s it for now, more to follow…
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:08 am

Glen... Everybody I talked to said that I should angle cut the frame, including one of the structural engineers in my office. I did call PG Adams (who provided the rails) and they would not provide and recommendations (probably due to liability).

So here is another update...

Last weekend was Madeline’s Christening, and this past week I was on the road for work most of the week, so we didn’t get back into the garage until this past Friday night.

The first thing we did was lower the frame onto to some dolly’s which included a pair that I use to move the snowmobile around the garage. We wanted to spin the frame around and move it back to where it started so the dolly’s were a big help.

We wheeled the front axle outside and then moved the frame into place. We then lifted it up onto a set of jackstands…

First we started installing the cross members…

Most of the original bolts were tired (buggered ends, some threads missing, etc…) so I decided to buy new ones from McMaster and Fastenal. I still had some smaller ones left over from the 155W and my son Tommy decided to organize them based on color (silver, black and gold)…

I also replaced the bushings in the bracket for the clutch pedal rod…

By Saturday afternoon we were moving right along… Now it’s starting to look like something!

Here is a quick pic of the rear of the frame after we installed the hangers for the shocks…

Since I was on the road most of last week, I called Donavan Spring in NH on Monday to order new pins and bushings for the front springs. These guys have been more than helpful and also supplied the obsolete spring pins for my 155W. By Thursday UPS delivered the parts. So here we are pressing the new pins into the rear front spring hangers…

After bolting the spring hangers to the frame, we decided to take some diagonal measurements. Sure enough we weren’t square so we hooked up a ratchet strap and started pulling. With just a little effort we were able to square it up and then we started torque all the crossmember bolts.

Then on Sunday morning we started with the front end of the frame. We started here…

And within the hour were here…

Last but not least, I made a quick cardboard template of the steering box just to make sure everything lined up, etc. You can see that I will have to flip the bolt directly under the box...

So that’s it for now! I still need to order some new bolts for the front end to finish up the frame, and then we’ll move onto the rear suspension.

Tom
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am

Starting to look like a truck again! What grade bolts are you using? Nice work Tommy!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks Emery! All the bolts are Grade 8 to match the original ones...

Tom
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Looks like Tommy is learning quick! Truck is coming along nice Tom. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate it! Here is a quick update from this past weekend...

Early last week I made a list of all the bolts I needed to finish up the frame and placed an order with Fastenal. I'm pretty sure they are going to send me a Christmas card this year!

So Friday night after work, my Dad and Tommy started sorting the new bolts out and installing them...

While they were working on the rear of the frame, I realized that I needed to repair one of the angled support brackets. The passenger side has two and the driver side has one directly behind the steering box. For whatever reason, one of the brackets on the pass. side was cut with a torch...

I has two extra brackets from the 760 frame, but they were slightly different. The work required to make them work would be just as much to repair the original one, so early Saturday morning I started to work on it.

When all was said and done, I wound up with this...

I also realized that a weld on the rear cab support was cracked. I didn't see this until it was sandblasted.

So I clamped it in the vice and ground the old weld out...

Then I re-welded it and installed it on the frame.

When then moved back onto the front of the frame, and I realized I needed some more help... So Madeline came out to help us while my Wife ran some errands...

My Wife forgot to tell me that Madeline had two bottom teeth coming in, so as you can imagine we spent more time trying to settle her down than actually working! But that's ok..., we were happy to have her company in the garage. At least Tommy kept busy working...

Mr. Brown stopped over the garage with some coffee's, and while he was there I figured he could help my Dad and I pull the front bumper from the mezzanine. I wanted to trial fit it before I tightened up the bumper brackets and I also wanted to dimension it like I did with the 760 bumper. I actually found this bumper along with a bunch of other Brockway’s parts in the local Paper Shop a few years back. The chrome was in good condition so we decided to use this bumper instead of the original bumper. The original bumper was tweaked pretty bad and someone torched a hole in the middle of it to access the pivot bolt for the radiator. But when I went to bolt it on the holes didn’t line up. Then I remembered Stan’s post about the difference between 300 and 700 series bumpers. So I went out and looked at the 761, and sure enough the bumper is identical.

Here is a pic of bumpers. The chrome one on top is the one I bought, the middle one is the one that came on the truck (after a lot of work…), and the bottom one is a 760 bumper…

Stan also mentioned that the bumpers are interchangeable as long as you use the correct brackets… So I dug out the brackets from the 760 frame to compare. So you can see the difference…. So it looks like I will be sandblasting these soon…

That's it for now!
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldspwr

Postby anthony masone sr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:57 am

Tom thanks for the pictures.
What I enjoyed most is that it reminds me so much of myself.
I always had my kids around me.
when I look at Tommy he reminds me of Tony Jr.
and my daughter Jennifer who is 33 years old. She was right there in the garage with me.
It is such a pleasure to watch your performance.
Last week when I drilled the bolts out for the strips in the bed.
I would send Tony Jr under the truck to put the nuts on.
Now when I get under the truck I hope that I bring everything with me it's easy to get down but getting backup is a struggle.
:D Anyway thanks again Tony. :D
Keep up the good work I'll be seeing you soon
anthony masone sr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Your kids are very lucky to have a dad and grampa who are always there and want to be with them. My youngest daughter, now 18 and in college at Mansfield Univ. is still my "Brockway Buddy" She spotted the 758 out behind the garage during Christmas break and wanted to know if she could drive it. Good job on the truck Tom, I need to stop down and see it sometime. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Tom - we all wanted you to know that your project update is PAST DUE!!!! Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby oldspwr » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 am

Stan, you're right, an update is past due!

So here we go...

The last two weekends we have been working on the mounting brackets for the 5th wheel. A while back we made the outside frame brackets out of 3" x 1/4" angle, and now we were working on the inside frame brackets.

I lined the 5th wheel up 6" ahead of the centerline of the axle and one of the mounting holes wound up in a front hole of the last crossmember. So I had to notch the angle I was using. Here is a pic of the driver side after I notched it...

Here is a pic of it in place...

Then we moved onto the pass side bracket. This one also had to be notched but I also had to make room for the torque arm...

After everything lined up, I took it off and did the final welding...

Then we moved onto the outside brackets and drilled the holes to mount the 5th...

After that, I bolted everything together to take a final look. It's hard to describe, but you can see 2" angles that are 5" long that I welded to the inside brackets. I also drilled 1/4" holes in them to mount line clamps for future air lines, wiring, etc...

We wanted to put a solid plate under the 5th similar to the one on my 155W. So I picked up a piece of 1/4" steel that was slightly bigger than what I needed. Someone else must had ordered it and never picked up up, so I got a good deal on it...

I don't have a plasma cutter yet, so I used a 3" cutoff wheel to make the cuts. Sure its tedious and time consuming, but it sure makes a nice clean cut that only needs minimal filing when done...

After the plate was cut and filed, we set if back on the frame...

Then I marked the inside holes and my Dad drilled those...

After I put everything back together I realized my inside holes didn't line up like I thought... Not really a big deal, but I had to mill the holes in the 5th wheel risers just a little longer...

Then we slid the 5th wheel out from under the truck and started to look up some info on it. There is a lot of info on Hollands website, and we found rebuild instructions, etc. It turns out the 5th was made in May of 1987, and we believe the truck was taken out of service in 1989 or so. All the bushings, etc. appear to be tight, but I probably will replace the ones in the risers. I did find a few sets on Ebay fairly reasonable.

After taking all the guts out of the fifth, we brought the cherry picker over and lifted it in place.

So that's we’re we left off Saturday night... I'm probably going to move back on to the front bumper brackets next (for the 761 bumper). One of the brackets is twisted a little and it's tough to straighten out since its' made from 1/2" plate. So hopefully this week we can get that straightened out.

That's it for now!
Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:40 am

This past weekend we finally finished up a few remaining items on the frame. These were things that we started but never finished.

The first thing I wanted to tackle was the front bumper brackets. In one of the older posts I mentioned that we were going with the 761 front bumper which meant we needed to used the 700 series brackets. I knew one of the brackets was twisted, and a twisted bracket could ruin the look of a new bumper, especially if it’s chrome. I wanted the brackets to sit flush and true, so I bolted them together for comparison…

Here you can see the twist in the driver side bracket. It was a lot worse, but my Dad managed to straighten some of it out with the press.

I tried to take the ‘twist’ out in the press, but quickly realized I was going nowhere fast (ie ½” steel plate…). Then I tried to hold it in the vice (super deluxe Craftsman…) and that didn’t work either. I knew I needed something substantial for leverage, so I figured why not use another Brockway? So early Saturday morning, I went outside and took a look at the crossmembers of the 761. Sure enough, one of the rear cross members has two holes that lined up with the bracket… (I did think about bolting it the 361 frame, but I didn’t want to take a chance and knock it off of the jack stands…)

After it was bolted down, I ‘C’ clamped an old 2” square homemade snowmobile tie down I made years ago…

With a few tugs, I was able straighten it out. So I lined up both sides again to make sure I twisted it back far enough…

Now that that was done, I lined up the 361 and 760 brackets so you could see the difference between the two…

Although the mounting plates of these brackets look similar, they are actually slightly different. (3) of the (4) holes lined up, but by using these holes, it would have pushed the bumper forward an inch or so. If I lined up the 4th hole, the bumper was right where it should be. So I chucked the brackets up in the mill and milled the (3) remaining holes. This wasn’t an easy task since the brackets was so high in the vice. I had to clamp some additional supports to the bracket for supports while the end mill did it’s work.

After all was said and done I bolted the brackets to the frame to make sure everything lined up…

Two weeks ago when we went to trial fit the bumper, I realized the ‘C’ channel support for the new power steering box was going to hit the bumper. When we stopped at Richie Z.’s garage last weekend, I noticed on one of his parts frames that the ‘C’ channel was notched to clear the bumper as you can see here…

So I decided to notch ours to make everything work…

Then we bolted the bumper on the truck…

Now that we were happy with the bumper brackets, we moved onto the spacers for the fender mounts. As I mentioned before, the original spaces were aluminum and were badly corroded. Both sides of the frame had (2) 1/4" spacers in order to keep the fenders straight. So I bought a piece of 1/2" steel plate and fabricated a spacer for the pass. side.

I then realized the spacer would hit a 1/2" bolt that bolts to one of the angled supports on the inside of the frame. I could have removed the washer to make it work, but I decided to keep it and just mill a small portion away for clearance.

After milling it, I cleaned up it and installed in on the truck…

Then we moved on to the driver side. The driver side is entirely different since it has the ‘C’ channel for the power steering box bolted to the outside of the rail and then another 1/4" angle bracket for support. So in reality, I only needed a 1/4" spacer for the lower bolt in the fender bracket since the top (2) holes were already out 1/2" from the frame. Here is what we started with…

We finished up the driver side fender bracket and moved onto the motor mounts. If you remember, our original mounts were literally destroyed, and Craig M. was able to supply a set of new ones. When we brought them home, I realized the OD of the new mount was 1 1/2" in diameter while the original one was only 1 1/4" in diameter. So I decided to ream the holes out to 1 1/2".

With a little bit of work and some patience, we were able to open the holes up and the new mounts fit perfect…

Well that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:38 am

Looks great Tom!! You should ask Santa for a plasma cutter, you'll love it!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion