1942 260A RECOVERY TRUCK

Post your classified ad and sell your old Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

1942 260A RECOVERY TRUCK

Postby jagjohn2 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:03 am

This handsome brute started life in 1942 when it was purchased by the British Army. It was one of 25 Tippers / Dump trucks purchased by the British Army and was used on the Isle of Gibraltar to aid in the building of defensive tunnels etc.. It did not travel far on the Island hence the incredible low mileage of just 5,462. It was the only one that came back to England and in fact I believe is the only one left. Shortly after the end of WW2 when it returned to England it was purchased by a haulier firm Readhead in 1946 at a government sale at Bently Wood .This company converted the truck into a mobile crane and it was used in the erection of sodium lighting etc.It remained with the same firm until 1992 when it was purchased by a Mr Stuart Broach, a motoring correspondent and a member of the Historic Commercial vehicle society of Cricklade Somerset.Mr Broach then fitted a later Mann Eggerton 5 ton crane which is still fully functional.Stuart also had a new starter motor and dynamo fitted and had the air compressor overhauled and new air lines fitted. He used to take the truck on local runs and to shows etc. Sadly Stuart became very ill and offered me to be the custodian of this great machine I purchased the truck from him in Feb 2015.This rare 260A is UK registered and i have the V5C with clean title. The registration number is NVS 958. It has an 8.3 litre straight 6 petrol engine and 12 speed transmission obtained by two gearboxes, a white gearbox coupled to a fuller bos used as a splitter wirh low range.It still retains the original power take off used for the original twin ram tipping system. The truck has a dual ignition system and twin spark heads foe extra reliability. The truck starts and runs smoothly as it should with such low mileage and will cruise nicely at 50 mph. It has a gross vehicle weight of 15495 tonnes and a wheelbase of 154 inches and an overall length of 19 ft. The truck retains the original interior, dash and gauges etc. The Truck has been featured in the "Automobile. The truck comes with 4 newish spare tyres and a heavy duty Harvey Frost towing bar and also a case full of paperwork history including photos of it as a tipper truck in the war and also with a large crane mounted on the rear end. All in all a lovely classic truck with tons of history that I would like to see go to a fellow enthusiast. Shipping can be arranged at cost.
I am asking offers in the region of £19995 ps I have 2 new fuel tank covers (not fitted ) that go with it. I would consider removing the crane and rear bodywork for ease of shipping
The Truck is near Rochester Kent England Contact John through here or phone +44 7989 417323 The price includes shipping to a USA port
I would consider a classic motorcycle in part exchange
Attachments
BROCKWAY 005.JPG
BROCKWAY 004.JPG
BROCKWAY 002.JPG
BROCKWAY 001.JPG
jagjohn2

Return to Brockways for Sale