E361T Progress - 671 to 671T

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - 671 to 671T

Postby oldspwr » Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm

At that point I decided to make 2 new bushings on the lathe, 1 3/8” OD, 3/4" ID, 2 1/4” long. But this time I turned the inside just a little bigger to prevent this from happening again...

With the (2) motors next to each other I started swapping over all the items that made sense. The upper and lower water necks were a size smaller so I wound up swapping them over as well.

The I ran into another small road block. I needed to swap the tach drive over for the mechanical tach. Once I removed the rear driver side 5 hole cover from the original engine, I realized the tach drive was cracked...

The drive itself is threaded at 3/8”x24. I was able to compress the crack and get a nut over it, but when I tried to remove it, it broke clean off. In the meantime I had ordered a new one and already installed it but didn’t realize it was a different design. My mistake, I should have looked closer at it before I installed it. After a quick post on the DD group on FB, the general consensus was to use a flat plate with a hole drilled in it and then tight a 3/8”x24 nut to draw it out OR use a slide hammer. But when I tried the flat plate, I broke the new one off in the new motor. At that point I dug out my slide hammer and made an adapter to pull it out. Our hardware store didn’t have any 3/8”x24 threaded rod couplers (only 3/8”x16) so I welded (3) 3/8”x24 grade 8 nuts together. Fortunately there was enough thread left on the new one to pull it out. But I was sweating it out for sure...

This was late Friday night and I was all ready to set the new motor in on Saturday. But I really didn’t want to put the motor in without the tach drive since I knew it would be a challenge since it would be close to the firewall. At that point I decided to try an pull the old broken one out of the original motor. So I filled the hole in the block with an old welding coat and welded a 3/8”x24 bolt to it, The using the slide hammer I was able to pull it out. My thoughts were that I would be able to repair it somehow...

Then I remembered that Joe D might have one and sure enough he did!!! I was able to remove it from the motor with the slide hammer and install it in the new motor by 7:30 the next morning. What a relief.........

More to follow...
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue May 28, 2019 12:06 pm

I had to reuse my 5 hole cover for the tach drive so I wound up sandblasting it along with the water necks, etc. Leid also sells there Detroit Green in spray cans so I bought 2 of them from them just for things like this...

After the paint was dry I was able to install the cover along with the throttle linkage...

Another thing I forgot to mention was that when I pulled the original engine out I discovered the driver side motor mount had a crack in it. I did try to locate one and reached out to Dane first but unfortunately he didn’t have one.

After a quick text a friend of mine said he would be able to weld it for me. I dropped it off the next day and he took care of it. When I got the tach adapter from Joe I took a look at the motor mounts in his truck and it looks like the driver side was replaced with a different design that was welded plate steel. So I’m guessing this was a common problem. One other thing I did notice was that his motor sat 2” higher than mine. There were 2” blocks welded to the top of the bellhousing mounts and 2” spacers under the front motor mounts. Not really sure what the reason for that was.

Then I wound up moving the flywheel and clutch over to the new engine. By that time my wife Jennifer came out to visit (and wore her DD green shirt to boot!)

By that time I called Jason and asked him to come over and help me set the motor in the frame...

I had it close but needed some help lining it up. And finally it was in the frame!!!

Well that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby dockmen027 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Tom, Great thread as usual, glad to see you posting them on the Message Board.
John K
dockmen027

Postby stubnosebrock » Thu May 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Looking good Tom
stubnosebrock

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:18 pm

Nice job Tom. Always a pleasure to follow your excellent work. I look forward to your next post.
Huskiedrive2

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

Now that the motor was in there was still a handful of things I had to work through. The first thing I did was install the alternator on the driver side mount. I was able to buy a new pulley on eBay reasonable but it was a double pulley. Once the truck was back home I realized I could use the factory pulley so I decided to use that instead of the double. After 2 trips to Napa I was also able to get the right size belt. But then I realized that adjustment arm was going to hit the bottom of the air compressor bracket. I laid out all the adjustment brackets I had, including the original and one from a Cummins, and none of them would work.

But then I figured out I could move the bracket out forward if I made a bushing. So instead of the bracket being behind the alternator, it is now in front. I thought this would be a better idea than designing a new adjustment bracket...

Then I moved onto the exhaust. Fortunately the new turbo location was in the same location as the existing since the exhaust manifolds were the same. But the original flange I got from the T18A40 was only 4”, and when I installed the original turbo I used a 4 to 5” adapter. While I was at Leid, I was able to buy the correct 5” flange...

To make it work, I ground down the first weld that was about 5” back and cut it off. I couldn’t go back any further since I would wind up in the bend. To begin, I welded the new flange to a piece a 5” exhaust tubing I had and made a new bung for the thermocouple on the lathe...

And then I welded in place. Here are the two pieces for comparison...

Then I was able to cut the new piece to length and weld it on the existing piece. I originally had this piece ceramic coated but for now I painted the new section with so Martin Senour high heat flat black paint that Napa sells. I’m curious to see how it holds up this summer. Then I installed the exhaust on the turbo...

More to follow...
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Once the exhaust was buttoned up, I reinstalled the radiator with the help of Tommy. I have left eye hooks in it when I originally installed it and these came in handy again...

After we finished the radiator, I ran over to the grocery store and picked up 6 gallons of distilled water and topped it off with some fresh antifreeze. By that time Joe D stopped by for a visit. He just finished greasing his truck and he showed up just in time. We were just getting ready to start it up. So I had Maddie take a picture of us!!!

Then Maddie pulled the truck out of the garage with the 4 wheeler...

Once the truck was outside we hit the key and I don’t think it made 1/2 a revolution and it started! It ran for about 15 seconds and then shut off. It seemed like it ran out of fuel so Joe and I checked both filters and they were both fuel. We were thinking that maybe somehow the fuel pump lost its prime using the adapter I made when changed the pump on the 360, we put a few pounds of air in the tank. Within a few minutes we started getting fuel out of the supply line. Once I reconnect the line, the truck started right back up! This time Tommy jumped in the cab and started it...

https://youtu.be/wyswSpucfrk

Once I was comfortable there were no leaks, etc, we took a quick trip over to my Mom’s. So far so good!!!

Well that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Congratulations Tom! The new motor looks great.
Huskiedrive2

Postby stubnosebrock » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:57 pm

Sweet! I'll be curious to know how it pulls with the new found power. What injectors did you decide on?
stubnosebrock

Postby Pokey493 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:55 pm

Tom, you never disappoint! As always your projects are top shelf.
Pokey
Pokey493

Postby oldspwr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks for everyone’s comments!

Brandon, Leid used 9H85 injectors in this motor along with a Garrett 442032-9020 turbo which I believe is a TV75 or TV7512.

After I installed the grill shell, I did call my pit crew over and we were able to bolt the front of the truck, hood, fenders and then the bumper.

I had to wait a day or so for the rain to clear, but I was able to take the truck for a good ride and it’s night and day. It pulls hard and will build a little over 20 psi over 2100 rpm. I put maybe 50 miles on it the last week or so just running along locally (not too far from home...) and everything seems ok. Yesterday morning I drove the truck to Johnson College (which is our local trade college.) For the past 2 years I have been sitting on a committee for their Diesel Jam show which is held in memory of Andrew Mazza. The show is coming up this Sunday so WNEP did a feature promo for the show. The truck seemed to work really well on the highway (on my way to the college...). It’s like drive my 155W with the 5.9 in it...

If all goes well I’ll be taking it to Macungie which I’m really looking forward to!

Since we’re all here, I’ll share some pics of another project I worked on with this truck. I wanted to be able to pull one of my car trailers so I decided to build a class V hitch. I bought a Weigh Safe mount with a tongue weight scale from my pickup. This is rated for 14,500 lbs. Since my truck is a 2500HD it came with a 3” class V receiver so I figured I would make one for the Brockway. My goal was to have it tucked under the stainless steel rear license plate panel.

I started this back in the summer of 2017. I bought some 10” wide 1/4” plate, some 6” wide 1/4” plate and a piece of 4” 1/4” square tubing. I also bought a 3” bare steel square receiver from Amazon..

Then I cut the 6” plate to allow the receiver part to go through it. I also drilled holes for the safety chains...

And this is what I had so far...

I did buy a press brake a while back but my press wouldn’t even attempt to bend the 10" wide 1/4” plate so I went to a local fab shop in Moscow (Tinsley’s) and they bent if for me...

These were for side plates to mount under the frame...

More to follow...
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm

I angled the front side of the plate, drilled the mounting holes and then cut out a square hole to slide the 4” box tubing through...

Once I had everything cut, I mocked it up in place and tack welded everything...

Then I made plates to box in the ends of the 4” tube and made a plate to hold a 7 pin Bargman plug...

Instead of me mig welding it, I decided to have a friend (Junior W) arc weld it for me. He has welded a number of things for me and is always willing to help...

Then I gave it a coat of ‘Millard’ red...

Here it is bolted up to the truck. I was pretty happy how it came out...

To make sure it worked out, I decided to pick up a fairly heavy trailer and load...

Well so far so good! Sure hope to see everything in Macungie!!!
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 pm

That's nice work Tom. I like the idea of having a heavy receiver type hitch on the back end and plan to do something similar to my 360. Makes the truck more "versatile."
Huskiedrive2

Postby 359Huskidrive » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Nice! See ya Saturday at Macungie.....
When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!
359Huskidrive

Previous

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion