My return from retirement

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

My return from retirement

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Most of you know I sold my Brockways and retired from ownership staying on solely as a Brockway tech adviser and enthusiast. After 43 years of being involved in the world of Brockway (I started in 1976 at the factory branch in Elmira) I have come to realize I have Brockway in my heart and diesel fuel in my veins. I miss owning and driving a Brockway, so -----
Here I go again. Yesterday, our own Aaron Tipton delivered my latest Brockway, a 1972 K360. The truck was located in Virginia at Glen Tolbert's shop below Roanoke (thanks Glen), and Aaron was headed up to NY with an empty trailer to do some Brockway business of his own. He offered a very fair price to deliver my truck here to my shop in Horseheads NY. Special thanks to Dane Baldwin for the heads up that Aaron was headed this way from his home in North Carolina. A huge thank you to Aaron and his son for door to door trucking, taking perfect care of the old horse.
The K360TL has an 8V-71 Detroit Diesel with an RT-915 Roadranger transmission and Rockwell rear axles on Paige and Paige spring suspension. I have plans to change out the RT-915 with an RTO12513 transmission during the restoration. I am currently rebuilding a replacement cab for the 360 as it's current cab is pretty rough. Stay tuned in the coming months as I begin the "long road to Cortland" getting K360TL-77308 back into road legal condition. As an interesting side note, fellow Brockway exhibitor, Dean Potter's K360 is serial 77309, my truck's sister. The two were ordered and purchased as a pair by DJO Trucking of New Jersey on April 21, 1972.
Attachments
home3.jpeg
newcab1.jpeg
home2.jpeg
Huskiedrive2

Re: My return from retirement

Postby 359Huskidrive » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:50 am

Great News! Now, when we gather to take a group photo at the Annual show we can finally say once again...."Meet in front of Stans truck at 11 AM". Good luck with your project!
Attachments
IMG_3232.JPG
When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You...... It's HUSKIDRIVE!
359Huskidrive

Postby Brocky » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 am

Congratulations!!! Will look forward to seeing it..
Brocky

Postby Second » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

It's deja vu all over again. Arf!
Second

Postby oldspwr » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:16 am

Nice to see you out of retirement Stan!!! Keep sharing pics of your build!!!
oldspwr

Postby stubnosebrock » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:41 am

About time Stan
stubnosebrock

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 pm

First up was to repair the floor of the replacement cab and convert it from a doghouse cab (it came off a 359) to a flat floor cab suitable for a 360. Tom Kile had the cab in his inventory and we were able to strike a deal. Although the exterior of the cab is nearly perfect, the thresholds/rocker panels under both doors were bad and the driver's side completely gone. Using the reproduction pieces Dane Baldwin is selling, I cut out and replaced both thresholds. After removing the doghouse frame and all of the floor it was easy access to the threshold pieces. I cross braced the cab with some angle iron to hold the door opening dimension and cut the old pieces out. Here's a couple pics of some of the floor work and the cab with both new thresholds installed. I highly recommend using these pieces from Dane. They are fairly priced, come with the reinforcement pieces where the cab mount bolt passes through threshold, and fit in place perfectly. There is no sense in messing with old rusty metal when such a nice reproduction piece is available.
Attachments
cabfloor6.jpeg
cabfloor8.jpeg
cabfloor2.jpeg
cabfloor4.jpeg
cabfloor5.jpeg
Last edited by Huskiedrive2 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Huskiedrive2

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 pm

After installing the thresholds, I moved on to repairing the rust damage to the base of the cowl just ahead of the A pillar. This is a common problem area for rust damage on the 300 series cab. A pocket which collected dirt/moisture is created by the joining of the A pillar, the cowl sheet metal, and the floor boards. On my replacement cab there was also rust damage around the air ventilator in the side of the cowling. Here the rust is caused by moisture being trapped between the two layers of metal, the outer skin and the frame of the ventilator door. Using a cut off wheel I removed the skin to a point above the ventilator where I was into rust free metal. Then I made a replacement panel and fitted it to the cowl. After some very careful measuring, I cut new openings and welded in two NOS ventilator doors. I currently am waiting for some floor panels to be made. I'll post more as the work on the floor and firewall continue.
Attachments
360cab-3.jpeg
cowl7.jpeg
cowl6.jpeg
cowl5.jpeg
cowl4.jpeg
Huskiedrive2

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm

While waiting for the floor panels I thought I would repair the minor rust damage at the bottom of the back of the cab. Here again, rust is caused by moisture getting trapped between two layers of unprotected metal, the cab back panel and the reinforcement plate that runs across the bottom of the inside of the cab behind the seats.
I used a cut-off wheel and removed the bad metal, made a small patch piece with a rolled lip to fit as the original did and spot welded it in place. Compared with working with the light gauge metal found in today's cars, welding patches into the 18 gauge steel of a Brockway cab is easy going! Huskies are tough!
Attachments
rearpanel3.jpeg
rearpanel1.jpeg
rearpanel2.jpeg
Huskiedrive2

Postby Green Giant2 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Nice work Stan.
We the unwilling, led by the unqualified ,are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.
GG2
Green Giant2

Postby STRETCH » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 am

Nice to see you back at it!!
Enjoy! Nothing better that those before and after photos.

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby V8Brockway361TL » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:44 pm

Good luck with the build. Nice tractor glad to see it come home.
V8Brockway361TL

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 am

Got side tracked into a small project that really isn't ready to be done at this point in the restoration, but like a true pack rat, I like shiny things. I had a chrome pre-cleaner and an air cleaner box stored away in the barn. Since the air cleaner on the 360 is pretty much toast, I decided to dig the air cleaner out of the barn and see what kind of shape it was in. After a little sanding, painting and some chrome polish, along with some juggling of screens to get all the best ones into one pre-cleaner, I ended up with a nice looking replacement for the 360. Not really needed at this point, but now I have something shiny to look at. Ya gotta dream, right?
Attachments
K360-2.jpg
aircleaner1.jpeg
aircleaner2.jpeg
Huskiedrive2

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion