It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:41 am

Post subject: ATHS 2018 Lexington KY Show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

This past winter I decided I wanted to drive the 155W to the National ATHS show in Lexington, KY. Lexington is roughly 650 miles from home so I figured it would be a manageable trip if I split it up over 2 days. I talked to Joe D (Quadbox) since he never misses these shows and we decided we would travel out together.

I spent some time over the past few weeks going over things on the truck and gathering up enough spare parts that I felt would be manageable to carry and could get me out of a bind, ie fuses, relays, governor, belt, fuel filters, etc. I also bought a spare fuel pump (just the pump itself, not the housing.). Since I used an aftermarket Fass pump, I figured if it failed it would strand me for some time. I spent some time at the hardware store and picked up a few plastic containers that would fit in my empty battery box and keep things dry. I also was able to get a decent spare tire and wheel from my Wife at work and we put this in the back of Joe’s pickup.

So this past Tuesday morning myself and Joe headed east towards...

Heading east past State College we also went past an interesting exit...

Within a few hours we made it to the Ohio state line...

Since we decided to split the trip in half we wound up spending the night in Youngstown, OH, about 320 miles from home...

The next day we started heading east on 76 and then south on 71...

More to follow...

Post subject: Re: ATHS 2018 Lexington KY Show
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 pm 

For the most part the traffic wasn’t too bad, except when you ran through Columbus and Cincinnati. After a few more miles heading south on 71 went crossed the state line into Kentucky...

A little more than an hour after crossing the state line we made it to the Kentucky Horse Park. This is really a great venue for a show the site is huge. The entrance road through the park was just about a mile and a half long. Fortunately it didn’t rain for the entire trip down until we pulled into the park. By that time the truck was fairly dirty with tons of bugs so I decided to give it a bath before getting the picture taken for the Showtime issue. They had (2) options where they would wash the truck for you or you could do it yourself. I decided to wash it myself and the guys there were pretty helpful and let me use their ladder...

After I had my picture taken I followed one of the volunteers over to my parking spot. This was early Wednesday afternoon and the lot was filling up...

More to follow...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:08 pm 

This show really had a great turnout of Brockway’s. Joe Russo and his family came down with their collection, including (4) Brockways...

And JoJo D brought his truck up from Florida...

Greg Plunkett and his wife also brought their (2) Brockway’s, a 255W and a 358. They only live a few miles from the horse park...

John Freeman also brought this 1974 361LL from Albany, KY. The windshield card said it was an ‘M361LL’ but I couldn’t read the ID tag. This truck had an interesting coal dump on it and top loader rears...

More to follow...

Last edited by oldspwr on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:09 pm 

By Thursday afternoon this 1974 N361TL arrived. It’s owned by Matt Payne from Hamilton OH...

By Friday morning the Green Apple Express also rolled in. It’s now owned by Bob Thompson...

And shortly thereafter Paul Stanchio rolled in with the White House with his 361 wrecker on the trailer...

The last Brockway to roll in was this 361 from Tennessee. Unfortunately I didn’t get the owners name but myself and Joe visited with him for some time. He believes the truck may have been a municipal truck at one time since there is orange paint under the red paint...

One of the interesting things about this truck is that it has factory gauges installed by the headliner, including what I believe are factory oil temp and trans temp gauges for the 74 and later trucks...

Fortunately Joe had reserved a golf cart for us a few months back. This was definitely a huge help and we definitely put a few miles on it...

We decided to leave mid Saturday afternoon and wound up spending the night in Ashland OH...

On Sunday morning we started heading for PA and stopped every 2 hours or so for fuel or a restroom break. We also stopped for lunch at Quaker State and Lube for lunch off the Buckhorn exit in PA. This was probably the first time either of us had a meal sitting underneath a Corvette...

Overall we put on about 1300 miles round trip and really enjoyed the show! Now we’re looking forward to Macungie!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:30 pm 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

It was nice seeing you for the split seconds that our golf carts passed in the night. :lol:

It was a great show and I'm glad the Huskie faithful showed up like they did. No other brand reps like Brockway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:41 pm 

Tom - glad you and Joe had a successful trip with no breakdowns. You know what would have happened had you not taken tools and spare parts!
Thanks for sharing your trip and the great pictures. In your post you mentioned the 361 with the gauges up above the windshield. Those are indeed factory installed gauges. I remember seeing many 300 series with them. My V360 with the 903 Cummins had them up there for trans and rear axles temps.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:49 am 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Tom, Thank you for the excellent report on and pictures of Lexington.. Glad we had time for a short visit, hopefully more time at Macungie?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm 

Great pictures of your truck and all the other Brock’s. I’m glad you didn’t have any breakdowns. Long way to go for your old girl. What was your mpg and top speed. Hope to see you at McCungie on Friday if possible

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:04 pm 

Ready for MaCungie

Attachments:
4C30BD12-95B0-450A-A285-E7A2583C9A59.jpeg
4C30BD12-95B0-450A-A285-E7A2583C9A59.jpeg [ 3.84 MiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:50 am 

Hi Jeff...

With the 5.43 gears and 43" tall rubber (11R24.5), I could run right around 65 mph, with enough power to get around someone if needed. For the whole trip I averaged 13 mpg.

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:26 am 

Wow that’s better than my navigator Nice job specing your long distance runner