It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Post subject: Roof Top AC by Kysor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm 

I thought I would share one of my latest projects, installing air conditioning on a 300 series Brockway. This truck had no headliner, only some foil insulation so after removing it, I went "up on the roof!"
There is a very good template supplied with the Kysor unit. After finding the center line of the roof I taped the template to the roof and marked out the mounting holes and the opening for the air ducting and controls. A few minutes with a drill and a sawzall, I had the roof ready. Dane B had a set of original 300 series roof reinforcement bars for this job, so they were bought and installed. After about 6 hours of work, the unit is on the roof. Next comes bolting the unit down and hooking things up. More to follow ----

Attachments:
File comment: Template taped down and ready to mark out holes.
roofAC1.jpeg
roofAC1.jpeg [ 241.04 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
File comment: Metal bar showing across opening is the track of my overhead door in the background.
roofAC3.jpeg
roofAC3.jpeg [ 260.29 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
File comment: All holes done and roof braces installed.
roofAC4.jpeg
roofAC4.jpeg [ 239.25 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]
File comment: AC unit in place, but not bolted down yet. Missing marker lights were removed to install roof braces and will be reinstalled.
roofAC5.jpeg
roofAC5.jpeg [ 254.85 KiB | Viewed 2158 times ]

Post subject: Re: Roof Top AC by Kysor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:23 pm 

An interesting note about this new Kysor system, the mounting dimensions are nearly identical to the old Kysor unit that was on this truck years ago (the roof had been patched). The four bolt holes to mount the unit to the cab reinforcement braces were in the same locations. The large center hole was the same dimension front to back and only 1/2" narrower side to side than the original. That makes this roof top AC unit the perfect replacement for the original. I'll post the Kysor model number in the near future. I don't have it here in the house.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that OD green paint
looks a lot like a " old truck" was revisiting? :mrgreen:

Stretch 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm 

Yeah it comes home once in a while for Pedigreed Service! Genuine Brockway technicians are getting hard to find.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 pm 

Here's a few more pictures of the AC system, kit components and model numbers.

Attachments:
File comment: Interior bezels, controls and wiring harness along with hardware
AC kit 1.jpeg
AC kit 1.jpeg [ 270.3 KiB | Viewed 2114 times ]
File comment: Model and serial plate
AC kit 2.jpeg
AC kit 2.jpeg [ 265.14 KiB | Viewed 2114 times ]
File comment: Rear of unit bolted in place.
AC kit 4.jpeg
AC kit 4.jpeg [ 220.67 KiB | Viewed 2114 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:47 pm 

That has to be the "coolest" upgrade available. I had no idea it was available. Is it the same basic unit that was made back then?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:34 pm 

The mounting is the same as the Kysor units from the 70's. This unit is very close in length and width and about 2/3rds the height. Best thing is this unit is designed to be used with a modern compressor and R134 refrigerant. I'll be posting pictures of the compressor mounting and specs on the compressor itself in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:55 am 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

Nice project Stan, thanks for posting some progress pics!

A few years ago I found an old DeFazio trailer in a junkyard and sure enough it was half full of Brockway parts. One of the more interesting things I found in there was the original installation paperwork from Kysor still sealed in the envelope. I believe most if not all DeFazio trucks had Kysor's on them...

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:44 pm 

Made some progress with the AC installation. After setting the unit on the roof and bolting it down, the inside is really easy. You install the bezel and the knobs (not installed in picture). Since the unit is self contained, the only other task on the interior is to route the power cable across the back of the cab and down the cab corner. I drilled a hole in the cab floor behind the driver's seat and ran the power cable under the cab and up to the firewall. The owner plans to do a new headliner so the interior is complete for now.

Attachments:
KIMG0901 (002).jpeg
KIMG0901 (002).jpeg [ 254.6 KiB | Viewed 1894 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:55 pm 

Once then cable gets to the firewall, some additional wiring need to be done. The instructions state that a relay be installed for main power and for the compressor clutch. Given that the 300 series Brockway's are already taxed by electrical loads on the circuit breakers, I decided to make up an auxiliary power panel with master relay, 4 new circuits and the necessary relays for the AC system. I built a prototype on a piece of wood first to get the layout. Since the 360 already had one new relay added for the front fog lights, I moved that into the new power center as well. The final picture is of the new power panel mounted above the steering shaft and covered to protect everything.
The next task will be to route the AC hoses from the unit to the compressor. More to come ----

Attachments:
KIMG0906 (002).jpeg
KIMG0906 (002).jpeg [ 323.79 KiB | Viewed 1894 times ]
KIMG0909 (002).jpeg
KIMG0909 (002).jpeg [ 259.97 KiB | Viewed 1894 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am 

With the wiring done and the rooftop unit installed, it was time to run the hoses to the compressor mounted on the engine. This truck originally had AC, so the old York piston style compressor was still on the engine. After removing it, I used a commercially available adapter to mount the new Sanden SD508 radial type AC compressor on the old York mount. The Sanden compressor is very popular, both OEM and in the aftermarket world. It can be fitted with many different types of drive pulleys, both poly-V and single or double sheave, as well as several different styles of hose connections on the back end of the compressor. The SD508 has mounting ears all the way around the body of the unit and with being of a radial design, it can be oriented in any position. It is perfect for upgrades to a vintage truck, and it can even be purchased in a chromed version.
The two AC hoses run over the back of the engine, down along the frame, and up the back of the cab to the rooftop unit. These are not in the kit, but are just barrier type AC hose in the #8 and #10 diameters, about 20 foot of each. Fittings for the hose ends are not in the kit either but there are literally thousands of sources for the hose and fittings, such as Ebay or a supplier like Vintage Air. Your local hydraulic hose shop can get them as well. The fittings are very much like hydraulic fittings but of a lighter design. I chose 45 degree fittings at the roof to direct the hoses down over the back of the cab, and 90 degree fittings with R134 fill ports for the compressor end of the hoses. The only thing left now is evacuate the system, add some compressor oil, and charge it with R134. This is a very simple system to install, taking about 20 hours to install and for less that $1800 you can ride in comfort. Stop and see the truck at the show in Cortland!

Attachments:
KIMG0918 (002).jpeg
KIMG0918 (002).jpeg [ 258.87 KiB | Viewed 1811 times ]
KIMG0915 (002).jpeg
KIMG0915 (002).jpeg [ 284.04 KiB | Viewed 1811 times ]
KIMG0914 (002).jpeg
KIMG0914 (002).jpeg [ 250.16 KiB | Viewed 1811 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:28 am 

I am impressed! The truck looks "right" again. Frankie would be happy. Why could the old compressor not be used? Shot, outdated, different gas? I have a Marmon that hopefully will get this upgrade sometime. Naturally with a rep service call... Thanks for walking us through the upgrade.

Last edited by Second on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 pm 

The old compressor could be used, but usually being a couple of decades old, it would most likely need new seals, bearings, and possibly an electric clutch. You could replace the old piston type compressor with a factory reconditioned one of the same type. This would allow use of all the original engine mounting brackets etc. The old compressors are still very popular in the automotive world as they were used on the muscle cars of the 60's and 70's and are in the aftermarket. The advantage to using the new style rotary compressor is that it is designed for use with R134 refrigerant, as is the new Kysor rooftop unit, making it more compatible. The costs for the new style or the old type compressor is comparable.