Hello all new here

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Hello all new here

Postby duke » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 pm

created a password and user name about a year ago but could never get it to activate tried today for the heck of it and here I am looking forward to posting and learning from you guys,Wade 8)
duke

Re: Hello all new here

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Welcome aboard Wade! You'll find there is a loyal group here still keeping the dog alive. Please feel free to ask questions, post pictures and share your love for the greatest trucks ever made - Brockway!
Huskiedrive2

Postby jse123 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Welcome aboard. Take lots of pics and post them
Attachments
93284A3E-877D-49E3-B3CB-DEC5B0444E84.png
jse123

Postby duke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Thank you for the kind welcome,so my love affair with brockways started when I was eighteen I got a job with a construction company and when they were slow they had me help the diesel mechanic at the time he was rebuilding a brockway with a 671 Detroit we did pistons liners rings bearing had the head rebuilt and new injectors and once we got it running I got to tool around the yard with it ,I once took it around the block when nobody was around and almost didn't make it back when I had to start off on an incline but fortunately I got it back before the boss showed up,wanted to be a diesel mechanic but life took me in other directions.fast forward to two years ago was thinking of that old truck and I googled brockway and got to this sight and decided to come out to the show last summer with my son I am bad with names but I met strech,mark from Canada a gentlemen from Maine I think his name was Jim and a gentlemen who had a triaxle dump that he uses on his farm .my son and I we're treated like members of the family and we're quite impressed with the dnner and the people we met we had to leave after the fireworks but we will be back for the whole show this year we would also in the future possibly get a brockway of our own to preserve for future enthusiests,Wade
duke

Postby STRETCH » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Welcome aboard Wade!
You probably spoke with me and Mark Derrick,
Glad to have you, I haven't posted to much of late, but
hope to see you again at the 2018 show.

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby duke » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:07 am

Hey Stretch ,yes it was you and Mark that we meet outside the dinner after lunch looking forward to 2018 show was thinking about texting Mark he gave me his contact info be nice to hang out with you guys again my son Alex and I will be there for the whole show this time. Made a connection with a guy here in CT that has quite a few Brock's and some for sale supposed to meet when the weather gets a little warmer,I am not quite equipped to do a full restoration yet would like to find a truck that at least drives that I can doll up later. Wade
duke

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:59 am

It's great that you and your son are interested in Brockway, Wade. You will find we are a big family here and are willing to help anyway we can. Looking for a running truck that doesn't need total restoration before use is probably a wise decision. It will allow you to get into the hobby quickly and still enjoy the truck. If you care to share a ballpark budget for your purchase and what model of Brockway you think you might be looking for, we all will keep an eye out. Include what engine/drivetrain you most enjoy too.
Again, welcome aboard! We're glad you've joined us!
Huskiedrive2

Postby duke » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:42 am

Got a question for you guys,can anyone reproduce a Brockway frame specifically for U360 12V71 if you had all the bracketry pertaining to the 12V from the back of the cab forward or could a frame from another model be used to restore a U360 12V that's been clipped behind the cab? Wade
duke

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 am

The 12V-71 powered U360 Brockways used a standard Brockway frame with added frame reinforcement/extensions near the front spring hangers as well as a unique crossmember mounted lower than normal to support the massive 1400 sq in radiator. All of these parts are common steel shaped and fabricated by press brake etc.. If you had access to one for pictures and measurements, a good fab shop could make the needed pieces. The biggest hurdle in converting a standard Brock to a big power, long nose model, will be finding the extra long hood that is unique to these trucks. I suppose if one had the correct sheet metal tooling, it could be made as well. There would be some little items that may need lengthening like the radiator stay rods running from cowl to radiator frame. Also, if the truck you are starting from does not have a heavy duty front axle package, you would need to change springs and axle. The 12V-71 is a heavy piece of horsepower! I believe most had a 12K pound capacity or larger axle.
I have often thought of doing this conversion myself, but time has passed me by. If I were 20 years younger I'd give it a try. If you decide to make one, please keep us posted with lots of pictures, we all love watching the progress of a good build.
Huskiedrive2

Postby duke » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 am

Well I might have a line on what I would call a 12 V clip,from the back of the cab forward but rear back nada ,as I stated above not looking for a total restoration but I am intrigued might not be to bad if I could source a donner frame what model would work? Wade

I guess to be more specific I would have to find out at least what the original wheel base was on the original frame but what would interchange another 360 or 361?
duke

Postby Huskyhuskie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:56 pm

If you started with a standard 360 frame the front axle would be in the right place. 160 or 172 inch wheelbases were popular on U360s.
Huskyhuskie

Postby quadbox » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:20 am

Welcome . Unless you want to restore truck to factory original wheelbase you could make it any length you want. I like WB but not to extremes. I have a 1967 260 Brockway that is 225" WB I think looks good. Just my opinion.
quadbox

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Brockway trucks had several frame options, single, double or even triple rails. In order to match what the 12V cut-off truck was built with, it would be best to measure height and width of the frame channel and it's thickness. Outside of rail to outside of rail is a standard of 34 inches on all trucks. You could easily find a rear axle cut-off from any Brockway that has the same frame, for example - 10 1/4" x 3 3/4" x 3/8" single rail and splice it back together. Many hobby truck frames have been spliced and welded. It just has to be done in the correct way.
Huskiedrive2

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion