It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 155W Continental to Cummins Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

Thanks Mike and Stan!!!

Ok time for another update...

When we last left off I was working on the bracket for the fill tank for the aftercooler radiator. Once the bracket was done, I reached out to the guy who powder coated and discussed having a handful of small parts done. I was hoping to take the truck for a ride the upcoming weekend and he only need a day or so to turn them around. So removed and gathered up the parts I wanted gloss back. This included the hood props, tank bracket, battery hold down bracket, electric water cooler bracket, aftercooler radiator brackets and the aftercooler support bracket...

After I dropped the parts off I had asked my buddy Mike to stop over and help me set the fenders on. The passenger side went on with no problem but I was concerned about the driver side. I knew the air compressor was going to be close to the fender and sure enough it was a little too close. In this pic I had the fender slid of the frame by about an inch and a half...

Fortunately it looked like I would be able to cut a section out of the fender that you wouldn’t see. To help understand where I needed the clearance, I made a pattern out of cardboard...

I then transferred the pattern to the fender and started cutting...

We set the fender back on the frame and realized I need some additional clearance. At least I didn’t make the whole too big the first time! So off came the fender again and I extended the hole...

More to follow...

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:04 pm 

Since I had the driver side fender off I realized I need to finish one small item, the breather for the air compressor. Originally I bought an OEM Bendix strainer, like the one I used on my Dad’s 361, but it was way too big. A few posts back I showed a 90 degree fitting I modified. Along with that fitting, a 3/4" hose nipple, a K&N breather and the extra 3/4" molded hose I bought, I was able to finish the breather install. I wound up point the hose down towards the oil pan...

In the meantime I picked up the powder coated parts and reinstalled them on the truck...

Once that was installed, I painted the edges of the hole I cuts in the fender and then set the fender back on the truck. We then set the form

Once that was done, I had one final project to do before we went for a test ride... I had to replace the Continental Engine license plate with a vintage Cummins plate. I couldn’t find one so I had one made...

So out with the old!!!

And in with the new!!!

More to follow...

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 pm 

At that point I decided to remove the breast plate and radius the edges. It was always on the back of my mind that I would wind up getting cut on the sharp edges. So I spent a little time and radiused the 4 corners...

Once everything was back together my Dad and I decided to go for a ride. We went over and put fuel in it and then took an easy ride over to my Brothers house. On the way back from my Brother’s I opened it up a bit and the truck ran along really well. By the time I got to my parents neighborhood to drop my Dad off, we quickly realized we were leaving a trail behind us. I jumped out of the truck to discover we had a pretty good antifreeze leak. I nursed it back over into my garage, hoping it was a freeze plug. After about 15 minutes of investigation, I determined the head gasket had failed...

Every take a few steps forward and then a handful back???

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:36 pm 

At this point I spent a few days working on something else just because... I knew replacing the head gasket was a huge task and everything I put back together had to come off again. The hood, the fenders, etc....

So after a few days I set up a 4x8 table in the garage and started taking everything apart...

With the help of the cherry picker and a handful of towels I was able to pull the head. This is a little challenging since the head it tucked in the doghouse and very close to the driver side. It was even a struggle to get the last push rod out...

After getting the head off I realized the head gasket actually failed in (3) separate spots... (2) at cylinder #4 where the external water leak was and (1) at cylinder #2. Fortunately no water made it into the oil...

At that point I started researching the different head gaskets available for this motor. The one problem with this motor is that the internet is saturated with info on it, not all of it good... Way too many guys that have advice on how to roll coal, etc... So you have to sort through the good and the bad.

From what I can tell, a majority of the people recommend a genuine OEM Cummins head gasket. Not a Fel Pro, Victor Reinz, Cometics, etc.. just a genuine OEM Cummins. I also called Industrial Injection as well and they recommended OEM Cummins. So I dug out the head gasket I removed from the motor and after careful inspection with a flash light I found the Cummins number 3283337 along with ‘Made in USA’. This corresponds to a head gasket that is .010” thicker than stock. It turns out that Cummins make (3) separate head gaskets, stock thickness 3283335, .010” thicker 3283337 and .020” thicker 3283339.

The head gasket that failed, although it came in a OEM Cummins upper gasket set, did not appear to be a genuine Cummins. There is a video on youtube that explains the differences and sure enough, this one has every one of them. It also appears to be lighter and not as robust as the OEM Cummins gasket. Since my motor was rebuilt before, it was more than likely decked which explains the .010” thicker gasket I removed. We took another .008” off of the block so we needed a .020” thicker gasket. Every .010 is worth half a point in compression on this motor so I was a full point over. So I believe the head failure gasket was contributed to 2 things... (1) it was not an OEM gasket and not the same quality and (2) it was too thin and I had too much compression.

Fortunately there was Cummins distributor in Harrisburg that had the gasket in stock so I was able to get it in two days...

We installed the gasket on a Friday night and was able to put everything back together the following Saturday. By Sunday I was able to take Maddie for a ride...

https://youtu.be/S7Aolhf218c

Well that’s it for now!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:22 pm 

Sounds like this one fought you a little! Glad you got it figured out Tom. Thanks to Maddie for a great video, I enjoyed the ride!

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 am 
Send private message  AIM  Profile

Dang that sucks. Never had 5.9 head gasket issues. Hopefully its straightened out this time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:08 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Anxiously awaiting an update.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8