Leaf Spring transmission mount

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Leaf Spring transmission mount

Postby SallysMan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 pm

My 360 has a 2 leaf spring top transmission mount. Anyone ever replace one? I have 1 broken leaf. Are the leaves srtaight or curved? If curved are they a simple arc or wave shaped?
SallysMan

Re: Leaf Spring transmission mount

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:53 pm

Scott - simple arc, very similar to a boat trailer spring. Find one close in width and the right length. When sitting on the frame saddles the center of the spring, where it bolts to the transmission, should be about 3/4" above the transmission housing before tightening down the bolt. This gives the spring some preload tension. You could get by with just one leaf, that's what many were. Stan
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby SallysMan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 am

Great thanks Stan!! Another question, the transmission may have dropped a bit, (getting some driveline vibration) is there a height reference? I'm thinking the "flat" where the spring bolts to the gearbox should be level or 3/4" below the flat of the frame bracket that supports each end of the spring. Does that sound correct?
SallysMan

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:48 am

Well that's kind of hard to say. If the engine/tranny is at, maybe, 3 degrees down, the pinion of the rear axle should point up at 3 degrees, so that the u joints "break" the same amount. The tranny mount should only hold the tail end of the transmission up. The rear motor mounts are the major weight carriers. With all that tranny hanging out there, the tail mount just takes the strain off of the bell housing bolts,.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help