It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Post subject: 155W Progress
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:21 am 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

I tried to post a reply to my last post, "155W Cab Progress", but for some reason it wouldn't let me. Anyway, here are some pictures of the progress on my truck. The cab is back on the frame and I insulated the inside of the cab with Dynamat Extreme. I also had the glass installed (windshield and rear window), installed the dash, finished the wiring under the dash, wired the cab lights and plumbed the horns and wipers. I'm working on the wipers themselves now and will start working on the rest of the air plumbing soon.

Tom

Post subject: Re: 155W Progress
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:31 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  AIM  Profile

Thats coming along nice! keep up the good work :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

HI TOM !!!
LOOKS GREAT,IS YOUR DASH SETUP ORIGINAL? LOOKS ALOT DIFFERENT THAN MINE,WHAT YEAR IS YOUR TRUCK? I LIKE YOUR DASH BETTER...WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR GUAGES?I REALLY ENJOY THE PROGRESS PICTURES,YOU SURE DO GREAT WORK...KEEP IT UP!!!!
.........KEVIN :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:29 pm 
Send private message  WWW  Profile

Wow, simply stunning work. This truck will be a real head turner for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:37 am 

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone, I appreciate it. Last weekend I painted a bunch of misc. stuff for the cab, like the cowl vent, side vents, various brackets, battery boxes, etc. So this weekend we were able to put a lot of it on the truck. I installed the rear light bar, stainless license panel, flaps, battery boxes, and finally finished up with the steering column last night. Here are some more progress pics...

Here is a pic with the lights on (sorry it's blurry)...

Here is a pic with the steering column installed. The steering wheel has already been repaired with PC-7 and will be painted ivory. It's just in primer now...

Here is a pic of the firewall. Thousands of holes to fill... In fact, that't the mose common I question I get. "Are all those holes used?"

And finally, here is a another shot of the rear of the truck.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:41 pm 

lookin good keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm 

A Real Show Stopper Tom!! It's frustrating to look at these pictures though! I keep wanting to scan left and right and get more and better views of your great project and work! Keep 'em coming!

Emery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:33 pm 

HI TOM... GREAT PICTURES AS USUAL , BOY THAT TRUCK LOOKS GREAT!!!!! :D CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE HOOD ON AND THE INTERIOR!!!! ANY IDEA WHERE I CAN GET THE PIECE ON THE TOP OF THE CARB THAT GOES TO THE PIPE TO THE AIR CLEANER???...MINE IS MISSING :?
....................THANKS KEVIN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 am 

Here are some more progress pics of my 155W...

My truck originally had a steel cab with wood doors. I bought a set of steel doors off '68 361 that seemed to be in decent shape. I like the idea of using the steel doors since there are more adjustments with them (hinges, etc...) I also decided to get rid of the striker latch and replace them with bear claws. The doors turned out to be worse than I thought so I wound up replace a lot of sheet metal. I had a new set of skins for later 300 series with the pushbutton handles, but figured it was worth the effort to repair the doors I had. It's amazing how these doors were built. It looks like the bare metal skins were installed directly over the bare metal frames, with no protection (primer, paint, etc...) They were doomed to rust from day one... Anyway, here are some pics of the progress on the doors. I still need to spend a few more days on them before they're ready for sandblasting and bodywork...

I finally pulled the hood in from outside and my Dad and I disassembled it. Fortunately the individual sections will fit in my sand blast cabinet. The chrome center stripped is rough and I'm going to use the one from my Dad's 361. I bought a new one from Craig M. awhile back and figured I would give that one to my Dad and shorten his old one for mine.

We also started working on the front bumper. This is fairly straight also and only needs minor work...

Last but not least, over this past weekend I started to fabricate new mounts for the front fenders. As you can see from the pics, they were literally destroyed so I cut off the angle brackets and made everything else new. The ones in the pics are the rear brackets and I should be working on the front brackets sometime this week...

That's it for now...

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:36 pm 
Once again I am inspired. Just a few questions; How did you bend the brackets so evenly? When is the estimated date of completion? Are we invited to the party? What is the difference(s) in the 155 and 255? Lastly, Could you post some earlier pictures to remind me that your truck once looked rough?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:12 pm 

Hi Glen...

Here are some older pics. I bought the truck in Nov. of 2000 from Bill Fletcher in Trumansburg, NY. It was originally purchased by GLF (Agway) in Ithaca and then was sold to the Town of Enfield. You can tell from the pics that the truck was pretty rough. The floors, back of cab, fenders, roof and fuel tanks were badly rusted. So with the help of a few parts trucks and a lot of new sheet metal I was able to end up with what I have today...

Here is the truck on the day I bought it...

We took the dump off and wound up parking it for a short while. These two pics can give you an idea on what the frame and back of cab looked like...

Here is the cab after we removed it (over Christmas Vacation 2002)...

Here is the frame after we pressure washed it...

More to follow...

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:35 pm 

Ok, fast forward to Sept. of 2003. The frame was completely disassembled and ready to be sandblasted...

Here are the frame rails sticking out of the back of my '98 Chevy with an 8' box. Sure needed the flag :D

Here are the parts after they were blasted...

Here is my 'laundry' of parts that needed to be primered...

More to follow...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:09 am 
THANKS! Now I feel better about my tons of rust. Any regrets or doubts over the past seven years? I think that you have set the standard for the rest of us. I can not find a corner cut. I wish other owners would share their projects with us. Seeing the Truck Show pictures, I know that there are several out there. Thanks again Tom. Glen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:36 am 

Thanks Tom! We all enjoy seeing your project. When you take something apart you really take it apart! I know the frame cross members were riveted in place at the factory. How did you re-assemble the cross members? Seeing how much you've dismantled, I've lowered my expectations for my own truck, especially since it's totally an outdoor project! Granted it's in beautiful sunny North Carolina but outdoors just the same! 8) My truck is pretty rusty but nothing like that good old Finger Lakes Road salt rust that you've had to deal with
Emery

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:23 pm 

Great job Tom! I'd like to get together with you sometime and check it out. I also need to pick up the bumper and visor. Drop me an e-mail and let me know what would work for you after the holidays. Probably a Sat or a Sun. Stan 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:01 am 

Somebody mentioned that their truck had a lot more rust than they originally thought. I figured I would post some pictures of my fenders so they wouldn't feel so bad :) Actually, these pictures are of my parts trucks fenders. My original ones are almost beyond restoration...

Here is a pic of the driver side fender...

Here is a pic of the pass side fender on the truck. I mocked it up just to make sure it would fit, etc. The sheet metal piece with the 1/4" bolts through it was someone else's attempt at repairing the fender. These fenders were sandblasted and then put in storage for a while.

Here is a another pic of the driver side fender on the 'box' side. You can see that someone actually created a 'fill' with weld between the 'box' and the fender...

Here is a pic of the new 'box' I made and the curved angle piece that gets welded to the fender. I made the angle piece with one of those shrinker/stretcher that Eastwood sells...

And here is the last pic with some of the new sheet metal welded in. The 'box' is just clamped in to line everything else up. This is probably one of the hardest parts of the total projects since there is so many curves, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:58 am 

I had to patch some rust in my door skins and I used 22Guage steel. What guage did you use for the fenders? I know it's heavier than the door skins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:36 am 

I used 20 gauge on the doors and 16 gauge on the fenders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:34 am 
Since your truck looks so good, I will keep up the questions. How did you do the inside of the gas tank? All of my diesel tanks have had very little rust. But this 255 gas tank is worse inside than out. I might have to cut the side off and sand blast it/them. They are very solid though. Is there a 'best' way to do one? Also the cab looks very similar to yours (before starting) but there is no glove box, key switch, and one seat. Sound normal? One last question; Where did you get the windshield gasket? Thanks again... Glen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am 

My original fuel tanks were badly rusted and dented so I wound up using the tanks from my '54 148W parts trucks. They were both just about empty so I thought I could clean them out by using hot water and Simple Green.

I put a long chain in the tanks, filled them with 2 gallons or so of the Simple Green and hot water, and started rolling them around my yard. My hopes were that the chain would knock free any debris inside. Needless to say that didn't work. The chain actually tied itself in a know around the pickup tube! So I had to cut a hole into the bottom of each tank, one on each side of the baffle. Here is a picture of the knot!

Then I wire brushed the inside of the tanks out with a stuff cup brush on a grinder. When I was done with the wire brush, I wiped the inside of each tank out with thinner, tack welded a 1/2" wide back plate around the patches I cut out, tacked a bolt to the middle of them (so I could hold them in place to weld them), and then welded them back in.

After I was done welding them, I used Eastwood's gas tank sealant kit on each. It includes an oil and grease remover (like Simple Green), an metal wash (some type of acid) and a sealer. I did put gas in each tanks after they were painted and hung on the truck and so far so good...

As for the glove box, I made my own since the truck never had one to begin with. You should have a key switch though since that will turn the ignition on and off. I won't start the truck though since the older trucks had foot operated starter buttons either on the floor board next to the gas pedal or on the firewall by the clutch pedal.

I was able to reuse the windshield gasket from the 148W parts truck but a new gasket is available from Restoration Specialties in Windbar, PA.

Tom