Insurance for 74 Brockway

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Insurance for 74 Brockway

Postby GSM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello all, Gary's Mrs here! I just purchased a 74 Brockway and am in need of some assistance with getting insurance and registration. (I know I should have looked in to it BEFORE I made my purchase, but I didn't; and that brings me to you folks!)

How do most Brockway truck owners insure their vehicles? Add it to their regular car insurance policy? Classic Car/truck insurance? Some special 'big' truck insurance? or some other type?

How much coverage should I look to get? Just liability? or collision too?

When registering it, do you get commercial plates? historical plates? or something else?

Will I need to get a different drivers license to drive it? (Gary says he'll teach me, so looking forward to that!)

Thanks in advance for any assistance on any of the above questions! Will look back later for responses. Heading out to do my chores and then to practice.

S
GSM

Re: Insurance for 74 Brockway

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Mrs. Gary! Welcome to the group. Your most economical route will be to register your Brockway as a historical vehicle. Here in NY that is $27 a year for any vehicle 25 years or more old. Vehicle can be used as hobby use for parades, Sunday drives, truck shows, etc. As for insurance, here in NY we must have a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage to get a registration, historical or otherwise, so there is that. For low rate coverage, your registration will have to have the word HISTORICAL on it. I personally have some comprehensive coverage as well to protect my investment. There are several antique vehicle insurance companies out there, and you will find their rates are pretty fair. J.C. Taylor is who I have. Gulfway Motorsports is another good one. My rate thru J.C. Taylor is about $150 per year for two Brockways. $80 liability 1st truck, $30 additional for second vehicle liability, $30 for comprehensive coverage on 1st vehicle valued at $15K . Only drawback with J>C> Taylor is there is an annual mileage limit of 2000 miles, you must prove you have a normal fully registered and insured daily driver as your primary transportation, and you cannot tow a trailer with the historical vehicle unless it is part of the display. If you choose to go to a normal registration (non-historical) and full blown truck/tractor insurance coverage, that would cost around $1500 - $2000 or more per year, here in NY. Hope this long winded response helps. Good luck!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Screamin DD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:49 pm

I use Carol @ Gulfway Insurers. Her number is 800-940-5010 ex.503. She'll want pics inside and all 4 sides of the out. You can e-mail them to her. She will e-mail you your new insurance card to download the same day. Make sure you have the correct vin # to give her eg; V359T-2-73867. It will look something like that. It cost me $140 to insure it for the year, and around $28 per yr for reg. Just make sure you have your ducks in a row @ the DMV. Original bill of sale signed by Brandon, Title or Reg. and the correct vin # on the insurance ID card. This is all on historical plates. Now there is such a fine line as to whether you need a CDL to drive it. I wouldn't worry a whole lot but also not a bad idea to get one. Large Diesel RV's with airbrakes do not require a CDL, I look @ this the same way. There is also mileage limits for the year. You can also pull your own trailer, but only for show purposes only
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby quadbox » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:24 pm

I have policies with both J.C. Taylor and Gulfway.With Gulfway you can pull your own trailer with your antique trucks on it,I think they have to be on Gulfway policy also. J.C. Taylor no trailer allowed. Both policies state no commercial use at all. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby Brocky » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:57 pm

I have mine with State Farm along with my daily drivers and house. Liability coverage is the same as the cars 250/500 and the collision is declared value. on my 55 F-600 they were about half of Gulfway and did not shop other places.

Brocky
Brocky

Postby GSM » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Thank you for all the info guys! I really appreciate it!
GSM

Postby Coolhand37 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 pm

So if one does not have a CDL there won't be an issue at the DMV to register a Brockway? I've been curious about this for a while now.

How did you make out at the DMV GSM, any surprises?
Coolhand37

Postby Scranton 761 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm

As far as the drivers license ..... in PA we have a (not very well known) Non-Commercial Class A & B License, Mainly designed for over sized RVs. There is a skills test for this, unless you are dropping a CDL. I spoke to PA DOT just last week (I'm considering dropping my CDL with all the new laws & restrictions). I was told I could go to Penske Truck Rental and rent an 80,000 lb 18-Wheeler to move a load of building materials for myself with the Class A Non-Commercial ....... as long as I was not moving commerce for compensation, of any kind. I also asked them about a 20,000 lb antique truck........ the answer was; "yes, you could drive that also". Keeping in mind, you still must carry a Medical Card. I have no idea what NY has....... You'll have to inquire on that.

As far as the insurance....... I called my agent and asked for $30.000.00 worth of zero deductible full antique coverage (completed estimate of cost), the cost quote was $240.00 / year. Trailers were allowed if part of the display, or an RV Trailer........ NO CARGO was part of the policy.

Hope this helps,
Paul
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby sbrant358 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:06 pm

That's good to know since I'm from PA too, I'll have to remember that. But from what I've also heard, if the truck has antique plates on it, you can drive it with nothing more than a class C, whether that's true or not, I have no idea.
sbrant358

Postby Brockway700 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm

This is what I've collected over the last few years:

As I understood it, you could drive historical if you are over 25; that's the rule for most insurance companies, sometimes they make special cases.

Technically you can drive any vehicle registered under 26k lb, with a normal class D licence.

However, even if the vehicle is registered under 26k lb, if it has air brakes you need to have an air brake endorsement. To get an air brake endorsement, you need (you guessed it) a CDL.

So unless your truck has juice brakes and is registered historical, it's better to just get a CDL. That way you don't have to worry about the gray areas.
Brockway700

Postby benitog1971 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 am

I have a question along the same topic,does anyone know if the truck could be insured as farm
vehicle or farm use?
benitog1971

Postby Pokey493 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 am

As far as farm use goes, I know in Connecticut you need to show proof of farm income to get farm plates. It used to be $2000.00 or above I'm not sure if that has changed. Pokey
Pokey493

Postby Brocky » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 am

The rules and limitations on Farm and/or AG business plates varys greatly from state to state.
You would have to get into your states DMV website for what your state requires/limits.
Brocky

Postby benitog1971 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:23 am

thanks for the help,I'll look into it.
benitog1971

Postby Scranton 761 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Brockway700 wrote:
However, even if the vehicle is registered under 26k lb, if it has air brakes you need to have an air brake endorsement. To get an air brake endorsement, you need (you guessed it) a CDL.

So unless your truck has juice brakes and is registered historical, it's better to just get a CDL. That way you don't have to worry about the gray areas.

Again, I can't speak for NY laws, in PA there is no air brake endorsement.... Only a restriction. And, it only applies to CDLs.... Not Non-Commercial Class A or B.

Here's the link>>>> http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicens ... sses.shtml

Also in PA the registration is permanent, no annual renewal. Best of all, there is no Safety Inspection or annual Heavy Truck Inspection like NY has. Here's the link for that>>>>

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fa ... fs-ant.pdf

Big Toys & RVs have air brakes.... No gray areas. Fact, not fiction. Check your state laws.
Paul Polcha
Scranton 761

Postby Brockway700 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:24 pm

Scranton 761 wrote: Big Toys & RVs have air brakes.... No gray areas. Fact, not fiction. Check your state laws.

Maybe I should have mentioned that that was for NY. Second, All of that information came from this website at one time or another; This has been debated on here many times. I'm not claiming to be an expert, just reproducing some of the information that has already been on here about the topic. Just like the first sentence of my last post said.
Brockway700

Postby steve s. » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:10 am

Paul, I think that there still are grey areas in PA. The non-commercial license you mention is fairly new, but I would question whether it really applies to a vehicle licensed as an antique, regardless of GVW or air brakes.

When looking into this myself a few years ago, I talked to several DOT people, read everything I could find, and even wrote to the Secretary of Transportation. The answers I got were generally vague regarding antique trucks. The only definitive answer I got came from our State Representative who said without a doubt, " all antique vehicles are exempt from CDL requirements in PA" Antique trucks are such a tiny portion of licensed vehicles that few people (including most at DOT) even know the right answers to the question.

Steve
steve s.

Postby Steve B » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:02 pm

Here in New Hampshire there is no requirement for a CDL for an antique vehicle. The "C" in CDL is commercial meaning engaged in commerce or making money. All antique trucks don't make money but rather cost money. They use the same reasoning to exempt RVs from the CDL requirement. I'm not sure that it's a good idea to have mom & pa camper driving a 50' Prevost with a 40' trailer with out some skil level. But this the "live free or die" state.

I got a quote from USAA to add an antique truck with 500/1M for $148 for 6 months. No limit on miles or trailers but couldn't use it for commerce.
Happy holidays
Steve B
Steve B

Postby Brockway POWER » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:48 pm

It has been my impression that driving an antique truck without a CDL is allowed based on this following line of text from the NYS Commercial Drivers Manual.

Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the CDL requirement

Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes

But of course the interpretation of the law probably depends on the uniform that pulls you over. 8)

Great for bed time reading. http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf
Brockway POWER

Postby Scranton 761 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:52 pm

steve s. wrote: few people (including most at DOT) even know the right answers to the question.
Steve

:lol: OMG, You are so right when you say that! I asked one of my close friends to inquire next time he went through a DOT check... (Keyser Ave. a few days later). When asked what he'd do if a Non-Commercial Class A rolled through his checkpoint with a full load of bricks, for his own use.... His response was; "even though it would be legal, we'd probably follow him to his destination". Interpretation >>> grey but legal, which is in black & white. :lol:

A very common sight at the shows is an antique tractor, with a lowboy, with additional antique vehicles as "part of the display"...... As scary as it is, legal in PA without a CDL.

Not sure if any of this helps.... Because it confuses me!!
Paul
Paul Polcha
Scranton 761

Next

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion