Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Attachment:
pictures from daddys phone 377.jpg
pictures from daddys phone 377.jpg [ 549.18 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
Attachment:
pictures from daddys phone 349.jpg
pictures from daddys phone 349.jpg [ 781.13 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]
Hello,
My name is chris and I live in york, pennsylvania. I recently fell in love with a rusty old brockway huskie truck that I found out back of a service station a couple weeks ago. I believe it is a model 147 and the title says 1949. Im going to be bringing the truck home this weekend and will probably want to start tinkering immediately. Anywho. It has no batteries. Rather than by two new 6 volt batteries. I would like to invest in a 12 volt conversion. I know the basics about the conversion but wonder which Ignition coil to use. I would like to use a coil with internal resistor to keep things clean but theres a lot of different coils. does anyone know a part number. As for the condenser is that just a standard 12v condenser that i could by at an auto parts store. Also, would my truck be positive ground, havent thought to check. The truck has a continental 6 cylinder gas job. I believe the tag read 41bd13. Hope im not a bother. Just getting into the brockway groove here. thank you

Attachments:
pictures from daddys phone 370.jpg
pictures from daddys phone 370.jpg [ 38.77 KiB | Viewed 1444 times ]

Last edited by brockwayboy on Wed May 02, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: converting a to 12 volt
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 am 

Chris-welcome to the board. We like pics on here! Sorry I will be no help on the ignition question.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:08 am 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

Hi Chris...

Welcome to the board... There is a chance that your truck may have been 12V from the factory. Two of my pre-1955 trucks were 12V. Check the voltage regulator on the firewall. It's huge and is made by Autolite. It will tell you if it's 6V or 12V. If it had 6V batteries, they may have been wired in series to give you 12V.

The 40's and up Brockways used ignition coils with built in resistors. I usually go to Napa for parts like that. If you go to a speed shop like Summit or Jegs, they may have one also, but you may have to get a Chrysler style resistor as well.

I converted my '55 155W over to 12V and used a Delco 21SI alternator.

Keep the questions coming, we'll be glad to help...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:19 am 

Welcome Chris! Don't be afraid to ask any questions you might have, that's what this board is all about! Given your trucks age and the engine size, your truck probably is already 12V. Look closely at the battery wiring as Tom mentioned, they may be 6V in series to produce 12V with more amperage. I'll bet it's positive ground as well. No real problem with that, just know what you got. Post a picture if you get a chance, we all like to learn about each others trucks. Glad you joined us!

V360TL

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:13 pm 

What would be your guys top dollar on this truck. It has sat for 20 years.
The gentlemen selling it will not budge off of $1800. kinda fustrating to have someone that would rather see the truck rot into the ground than see it go to a good home for a fair price.
vin #147WLD56953.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:28 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  AIM  Profile

How's the wood frame of the cab?? Look at the front door/windshield post up near the roof from inside. How well hung are the door hinges??? Do the doors fit and close without drooping?? If they do it's a miracle and worth the money. IMHO
Unfortunately the scrap value may be pretty close to that figure at today's prices.
Emery

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm 

I took notice to a plywood floor but no wood frame work above the floor. Could it be possible that there is no wood skeleton. Or am i totally confused.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:43 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  AIM  Profile

I'm not sure about the gasket windshield cab.. It must have an all steel construction like Tom's 155.

Emery

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm 

I kinda remember seeing shiny steel supports or maybe even aluminum bracing on th inside of the rear cab wall.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 pm 

http://huskidrive.com/cross-reference/model-year-serial-number-cross-reference
This serial number cross reference shows that as being a 1959, which would make sense with the steel cab, one piece gasketed windshield, and the later style hood. Something makes me think the floor might have rotted out, and somebody decied just to cut and fit that piece of plywood in, instead of going and fixing it the right way. I believe a 147 would be somewhere around 7000-8000 pounds, and I think scrap is probably something like $200-$300 per ton, so that truck is only worth (as scrap) at the most maybe $1200. Maybe that's the reason he won't let it go for less, to purposely discourage scrap dealers. But for sitting out, it looks to be in decent shape.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

Definitely a 59 based on the serial number and the other facts the guys stated here.
I would bet the emblem on the grill says "Brockway Huskie" instead of just "Brockway". It also looks like there may have been a flip mount over the radiator cap that the dog sat on. Also, look at the chrome strip on the hood. Usually there is a 1/2 chrome dog in front or behind it. I bought most of the parts off of 147W-56860 and it has the features I described.

I am no expert on the prices of these trucks, but I have seen similar trucks go for $800-$1000.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 pm 

Hi Chris, and again , welcome to the board. I would suggest that you put a 12 volt battery in it, with the positive side to ground. Repalce the coil with any 12 volt model, with either internal or external resistor, as you wish. The Brockway doesn't care which coil you buy, they will all work. You do not need to do anything with the condenser , it will work fine on 12 volts. Your generator will either charge or it won't. If it is a 6v, replace it with a 12v generator, or an alternator. If it does happen to charge at 12 volts, your ammeter will show movement toward the charge side of the meter if you have the polarity correct.

$ 1800 sure sounds like a high price for that truck. It probably is worth less for scrap. The owner probably doesn't have a clue what similar trucks sell for. Remind him that it would cost you a small fortune to bring that truck back to roadable condition, not to mention the time involved. Ask him how many offers he has had. There are way more antique trucks available than there are people willing to buy them. Most people in their right mind would laugh and walk away. (but not those of us on this board ) . $1000 would still be high to me, but remember, it is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. Good luck, Steve

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:05 pm 

The truck is in pretty nice shape, I would say $1000 - $1500 would be better, but I must tell you that we all have paid too much for something we really wanted at one time or another. Ask the owner if you can be allowed to try to start the motor before you purchase it. If it starts and runs that's great, but if the motor is set up or makes horrible noises (bad rod etc.) then you might better renegotiate the price. Parts are available for the motor but can be a little pricey if you need a total rebuild. Just my $ .02 worth! Really would like to see the truck saved though - classic Brockway!

V360TL

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:09 pm 

Well, the owner is 90 year old man set in his ways. I have been working through his son and I offered 1500 and he declined. I explained to him that if the engine ended up being no good that it would stop this project in its tracks. I explained to him that would be a father son project trying to pluck a few heart strings but no luck. It all boils down to if I want the truck bad enough that i will have to pay the piper. I squeezed a free tow job out of the guy but thats the only headway i gained. Other than that he was origionally asking 2000. maybe ill just pay the man what he wants and then tell all my friends i paid less. lol

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:06 am 

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

V360TL