1973/74 Brockway N361T in upcoming Alabama auction

Post your classified ad and sell your old Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: 1973/74 Brockway N361T in upcoming Alabama auction

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:31 pm

If you can use a Phillips screwdriver, you can change a 300 series Brockway roof. That's all that holds it on, a lot of Phillips screws all the way around the edge.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby TicketMan4u » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:48 pm

That's cool! Sounds easy except for the fact we're probably talking about fixing the only Brockway truck in Alabama. I hope myfirstbrockway is still following this topic.
TicketMan4u

Postby myfirstbrockway » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm

I will be on here for a long time and I hope that I don't bother you guys too much. My coworker restores old cars and we can make a roof if it comes to that but I thought that I would ask on here in hopes that someone had a usable roof. He has the english wheel and wire welders and everything we need but it will be a lot of work. Another thing that we missed when the truck was at auction was that the frame has been shortened and bolted back together. I don't know if that is still legal in alabama. I appreciate all the help that I can get on this truck.
myfirstbrockway

Postby TicketMan4u » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I missed the frame refab also but Dan at SamLilly did tell me the I-beam contraption on the back was for hauling dumpsters.

Also spoke to the previous owner's granddaughter who told me the truck was never used at her grandfather's auto repair shop. She said he just liked the truck and bought it to restore but never had time to get to it before he passed.
TicketMan4u

Postby huskidrive 359 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Glad to see you are going to restore the Brockway, go back to Tom's E361t restoration progress in the discussion section check out how he welded the frame back together. I had a roof panel but sold it a while back, put a request in Brockways wanted I'm sure you will find one. Good luck with the 361. Paul
huskidrive 359

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 pm

I have a roof panel for 300 series. If you're coming to Cortland for the show, we can work something out. Shipping it to you would be a possibility but expensive.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby myfirstbrockway » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Ticketman is right. I might have the only Brockway in Alabama and maybe the southeast. Thanks Paul, I watched the post on the rebuild of the 361. I probably will do that. Stan, I probably wont get to Courtland in August So I might have to look at shipping . I think all the brockways are in New York. My mother-in-law lives in Beckley West Virginia but it is still 576 miles from there to Courtland.
myfirstbrockway

Postby jasondunn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:45 am

Ticketman and First Brockway, I'm in Alabaster as well. So glad to hear about your plans, First Brockway. If I can give either of you a hand in any way, give me a shout.

Jason
jasondunn

Postby TicketMan4u » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:29 am

myfirstbrockway wrote:I will be on here for a long time and I hope that I don't bother you guys too much. My coworker restores old cars and we can make a roof if it comes to that but I thought that I would ask on here in hopes that someone had a usable roof. He has the english wheel and wire welders and everything we need but it will be a lot of work. Another thing that we missed when the truck was at auction was that the frame has been shortened and bolted back together. I don't know if that is still legal in alabama. I appreciate all the help that I can get on this truck.

I can't seem to remember anything preventing it nor can I find anything addressing the issue of the shortened frame. Shortening the frame probably decreased the load the truck is able to carry but just so long as you register it in the proper weight class based on VIN I don't think you'll have a problem at the tag office.

Retired Deputy Sheriff...just not Shelby County
TicketMan4u

Postby myfirstbrockway » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info Ticketman. I'm still cloudy on the engine being origional or if it was built with a 270. Also I can't find nothing on the rear end being a 370 or 505. It looks like a single speed rear to me. Someone more knowledgable maybe can inform me on such things please, The motor says 11-74 and the truck is 11-74 I think. Its already fun to see the looks on friends faces when I tell them I bought a brockway and they look at me and say a what??? Anyway thank you guys for any help
myfirstbrockway

Postby myfirstbrockway » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Jason I missed your post, sorry. I just couldn't let the old girl go to scrap. When I get her restored I will bring it back to Sam Lilly and let ya'll see it. I have the daughter's e-mail address and she wants to see it when it is finished or grand daughter . I thought she said daughter but maybe not.
myfirstbrockway

Postby stubnosebrock » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm

Nothing cloudy about it. Like was already stated, the truck appears to be an original Huskidrive truck. They were only built one way. PT-270 Cummins, T-905 Fuller transmission, and Eaton 2 speed rear built to Brockways' specs. 5 something on the low side, 3.70 on the high.
stubnosebrock

Postby quadbox » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Stubby I realize with the Cummins PT 270 high torque rise engine it would be hard to shift the Huskiedrive set up like a standard Cummins or Detroit, with the 250 that is in truck now could you shift it splitting gears like a 1700-2100 RPM engine ? I never drove a Huskiedrive. What were the Brockway specs you wrote about ? Thanks Joe D.
quadbox

Postby stubnosebrock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Joe, they dont work being shifted that way. When I had my Huskidrive truck, which is now Paul P's black 359, which was re powered with a Big Cam. I tried shifting it that way, splitting every gear. It just doesnt work. There are times when you are making an upshift, and you actually gain RPM's. The only way I was able to do it, and drove it this way a lot was splitting 1st, shifting 2,3,4,5 on the main with the rear in low, and splitting 5th. That was specd by Brockway just for these trucks. No other 2 speed ive ever seen has those same type of ratios. It was basically supposed to be used only in 5th gear as an "overdrive" so to speak. Using that set up without a Power Torque engine really isnt the greatest. Its fine empty, but loaded you just dont have enough gears. Lugging a 2100 rpm engine will make they're lives short.
stubnosebrock

Postby quadbox » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby myfirstbrockway » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:54 pm

I think that they changed the rear end when they shortened the frame. Is there another way to tell the huskidrive rear end. This one doesn't have the splitter box or anything connected to the rear end. Also how hard will it be to find a huskidrive rear end. I found a 270 turbo motor but it is in Maine. Making it hard to put this truck back origional. Thanks for the help.
myfirstbrockway

Postby stubnosebrock » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:06 pm

So it has just a 5 speed tranny in it? The shift mechanism should be on the front right side of the rear (when viewed from the front). If you dont see that, then its only a single speed rear. If that is the case, then im leaning towards that not being an original Huskidrive truck. I just cant imagine anyone changing out an engine and rear, only to make it worse on the end result. Its possible though, heard of weirder things done. The 270 you found is most likely an NTC-270 which is not correct for a Huskidrive truck. You need a PT-270. The main difference is a torque modulator valve located on the injection pump. A Huskidrive rear, I will almost bet money on the fact that you wont find one. I know of a center section to one, but doubt its for sale. My suggestion is this. IF, and only if you want to change anything, change the transmission. Put a 10 speed in it and be done. If you just want to drive this truck, and never use it, you can get by with the 5 speed.
stubnosebrock

Postby myfirstbrockway » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

I can't get the right information on the motor. All I know is that it came out of a 1978 ward lafrance fire truck with 30k miles on it. The splitter for the rear end is under the dash and below the trailer hand brake isn't it? The rear end has a plug where the splitter should be. I guess I could put the truck back together and bring it to courtland next year. As long as nobody opens up the hood or hears it run and I hide the rear end it might be ok. Its getting discouraging because I promised the owners daughter/grand daughter that I would try to restore it back origional. I really appreciate the help and knowledge from the members on here.
myfirstbrockway

Postby myfirstbrockway » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm

Jason, if you happen to be in the area of the shop where the brockway came from stop by and ask the mechanic if the rear end for this truck might still be there. Dont make a special trip though. thanks Leonard
myfirstbrockway

Postby MARK T » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Why not post some pictures of the trucks' rear ? A couple of shots of the area around the carrier (center section) would make it real easy for some one here to tell if it's at least a two speed or not. It's pretty confusing to tell older Cummins' apart with out some knowledge of them and that's not to say the CPL hasn't been altered in some way?? I know some of the stuff I've done to make an older truck run and I'm guess'n that old girl has seen some off the same "engineering" along the way.
MARK T

PreviousNext

Return to Brockways for Sale