Detroit Fan Clutch

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Detroit Fan Clutch

Postby oldspwr » Fri May 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi guys...

Quick question... I would like to install a fan clutch on my Dad's 671. Are there any pro's or con's to a Horton air actuated clutch, a Bendix oil operated or a conventional thermal clutch?

I like the idea of a air actuated clutch over an oil but I thought I would look for some recommendations first.

Thanks,

Tom
oldspwr

Re: Detroit Fan Clutch

Postby Scranton 761 » Fri May 06, 2016 5:11 pm

Tom, I know we had this conversation before and I have looked online for something simple that would fit without spending a fortune. Do you have any part numbers on what you've been looking at? I was thinking thermal but couldn't find anything.
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby Huskyhuskie » Sat May 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Hi Tom, I've used Horton fan clutches for over thirty years. I think they are the best, they are either totally on or off, are easily rebuilt, parts are readily available, the on-off temperatures can be varied by which sensor you pick and you can install a override switch. I know they are expensive but maybe you can find a used one and rebuild if it needs. Get a plastic fan for it also as it will take a lot of stress off the clutch when it kicks on.
Huskyhuskie

Postby Huskiedrive2 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:00 am

I agree. Horton is probably the best out there. You can also adapt a Mack (yeah I know) viscous style thermo-clutch to your Detroit. You need both the fan blade and the hub which with a little modification , will bolt on your Detroit pulley. Drawback is that this style is not controllable and will not work with shutters.
Huskiedrive2

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help