1971 358 single axle. Opinion's invited-requested even...

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

1971 358 single axle. Opinion's invited-requested even...

Postby crashcrawford » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Howdy folks.
I had the Chadillac out last Thursday. The slight axle seal leak I thought I had in December is apparently "not so slight". Seems pretty bad.
I have no garage, and brakes are not where I wish to start my education on DIY Hvy Truck Maintenance.
There is a Truck Shop that I trust about 20-25 miles away. I have been taking school busses there for contractors for 10 years. Smart guy, busy guy. Knowledge-able guy. While there today I asked if he had any interest in fixing my axle seal.
"Yep"
So that I know if I can afford it, can you give me the $100, $500, or more estimate?
"Brakes get covered?"
Yep.
"Well then, you're looking at $75 for shoes, $80 for seal and an hours labor."
Okay. When ya slow down?
"Never, call me Monday or Tuesday and set up an appointment."

Question 1-seems reasonable to me. You guys?
Question 2-If I make sure I have oil before I leave-see any problem driving it that far?
Chad Crawford

Brockway Model N358T-daily driver ;)
crashcrawford

Re: 1971 358 single axle. Opinion's invited-requested even...

Postby Huskyhuskie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:25 pm

If you are nervous about it I would jack up that wheel and make sure the wheel bearings are not loose for some reason and then drive it over there. Wheel seal leaks usually look worse than they are as far as oil loss. The price he quoted doesn't seem too far out of line as long as the hour doesn't turn into 2 or 3 and get into replacing bearings.
Huskyhuskie

Re: 1971 358 single axle. Opinion's invited-requested even...

Postby crashcrawford » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Thank you. It's my toy, and I can't afford to make problems bigger. Just want to make sure. Appreciate your input.
Chad Crawford

Brockway Model N358T-daily driver ;)
crashcrawford

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help