Newbie here - Parts availability question

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Newbie here - Parts availability question

Postby 914Driver » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Hello all,

New here and am looking at an early 60's Brockway with a flat head gas engine. I'm not certain of the model number but will try to get it off the truck later. It has a single speed rear end and juice brakes.

I've rebuilt engines before, built a few cars and a really nice 1952 Dodge one ton, but never anything this big before! Can you just walk into NAPA and order up rings and bearings or are they made of unobtanium?

Thanks for the help and I will put up pictures when I have them. (do you have to have XXX number of posts before you can add a picture?)

Dan
914Driver

Re: Newbie here - Parts availability question

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Hi Dan...

Welcome to the message board!

Parts are available for the Continentals but not typically over the counter... In the past I have bought rings, bearings, gaskets, etc. from Jobbers in Philly http://jobbersinc.com/ and Monte's Equipment (Jerry Moons) http://www.montesequipment.com/ There's a place in Utica NY also but I can't remember their name now, I'm sure someone here will remember.

You can post pictures on day 1, there are now minimum number of posts, etc.

Tom
oldspwr

Postby steve s. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Board. There is really nothing special about working on the Continental flathead compared to other engines of its type and age. Parts are bigger and heavier, but it's a lot like your Dodge 1 ton engine otherwise. I have put a lot of miles / hours on Continental flathead engines in the past few years, and I can say with confidence that they are good, strong engines. If the one you are looking at was in good running condition when it came out of service, you are not likely to need any "rebuilding". A bit of "freshening up" is often all that is required. These engine are prone to sticky valves after sitting for some time, but even this can often be tended to without removing the head. As Tom said, parts are available if you look in the right places. We would like to see some pictures! Good luck.
steve s.

Postby 914Driver » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks guys, this is the Dodge B3C-116 I spoke of.

914Driver

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help