Frame restoration question

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Frame restoration question

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:22 pm

I am in the process of tearing down a 148W to restore. My question is some of the frame cross members and spring hangers are riveted together. My plan is to cut and grind rivets out ,sandblast, prime, and seal all components, and reassemble using grade 8 nuts and bolts. Would that be the proper procedure or should I leave the rivets alone? What would be a proper torque for the bolts?
jim
Watchmaker

Re: Frame restoration question

Postby steve s. » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:51 pm

Tom Millard can tell you all about bolting your frame back together. Torque will depend on size and grade of fasteners you use. Personally, I would not remove the rivets unless there was some compelling reason ( like rust) to do so. Otherwise, if you plan on a 100 % restoration, you'll probably have to take the rivets out any way just to be thorough. Steve
steve s.

Postby H762TL » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:18 pm

I had to do that on my pickup, with shock mounts and a couple crossmembers. ground them off, punched them out. the shock mounts came with nuts and bolts. I didn't torque them, just tightened each one as much as I could.
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby rz761 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:24 pm

i was going to leave the rivets alone on some of my builds. but thats the thing, it limits you from how far down you are disassemblembling. personally i would take them out and replace them with grade 8 bolts.

richie
rz761

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:41 am

On my 155W I had a lot of rust between the frame and the crossmembers so it only made sense to drill the rivets. On a side not, one side of my truck was bolted and the other was riveted. Not sure why, didn't appear like it was replaced from an accident, but you never know...
oldspwr

Postby Scranton 761 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:14 am

I have to agree with disassembly and sandblasting if you're going that far. I had rust between the frame sections near the steering box that blew apart Gr.8 bolts.... they're someplace on the road.

Here's a torque chart if you wish to use it. I'll probable just go with my IR 231.
http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-infor ... orque.aspx
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:24 pm

thanks for all the replies I think I will drill them out so I can sandblast and remove all the rust between them. Over time i'm sure if I don't that the rust will come out from between parts and screw up the paint, possibly even pop the bolts. thanks for the torque chart and again thanks for the help.
jim
Watchmaker

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help