5th Wheel and Dump Body Removal

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

5th Wheel and Dump Body Removal

Postby FirstEliminator » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Removing the dump body from the 361 tomorrow. Plans are to put a 5th wheel. Not sure what weight/rating/brand of 5th wheel to look for. Any recommendations?

Last edited by FirstEliminator on Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts
FirstEliminator

Re: 5th Wheel

Postby V8Brockway361TL » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:09 pm

35 ton Holland , the one that has the adjustment nut and shaft coming out the front of the wheel toward the back of the cab. Very dependable and easy to adjust. When hooked up just back off the adjusting nut until the slightest of air gap between the fifth wheel body and the rubber washer under the nut. When you are out of threads time to rebuild or buy new .It lets a tapered fork to keep going in deeper behind the jaws to take up the slop. Me the last one on my other truck I picked a new one up from New Hampshire Peterbilt on sale drove out the 2 pins put new bushings and done, not worth the time and money to rebuild . My 05 Peterbilt came with a Jost I must say I do like it. Fifth wheel is suppose to be 100% replaceable parts. Although when the time comes I will buy a new complete head not worth the time to rebuild plus you are still dealing with plate wear .If you go with a stationary mount instead of a slider I would set it about 2 inches forward of center on the rear springs to put a little weight up on the steer axle. Frank
V8Brockway361TL

Re: 5th Wheel--- dump body removal

Postby FirstEliminator » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Today, we pulled the dump body. We thought it was going to be a bigger job than it actually was. I think we spent more time eating lunch than pulling the body. During the lift, one of the hydraulic hoses got snagged and caused the body to twist a little. The only causalty was a brake light lens. Other than that, the lift and placement went well. Sometimes it's nice to have a crane.
Being an e-bay and Craigslist junkie I found a crane scale that measures up to 20,000lbs. Had the scale for a while. Now finally, I had a chance to try out the scale on something substantial. Turns out the dump body without the gate weighs 8900lbs.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Re: 5th Wheel and Dump Body Removal

Postby Brockway700 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Wow that cab is nicer than I remembered! Looks great, sorry I didn't make it out with my dad today, i've been trying to get my plow truck done before it gets too cold!
Brockway700

Postby FirstEliminator » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:34 am

Brockway700 wrote:Wow that cab is nicer than I remembered! Looks great, sorry I didn't make it out with my dad today, i've been trying to get my plow truck done before it gets too cold!

Yeah, the lines on this one are nice and strait compared to my other 361 where the lines are all jagged and brown.

Here's another pic.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Postby FirstEliminator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey guys,

It's on my list to purchase a 5th wheel for the 361 that we removed the dump body from. I found a Holland 5th wheel on Craigslist. Here is the link:

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/3423368599.html

Is this what I should be looking for? Does the price seem fair? I've seen a few other's on e-bay for around $350, but I am not sure if I am comparing apples to apples.

Or, does anyone have something similar they are interested in selling?

thanks,
Mark
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Postby slate rock brock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 am

Mark, If I can help call me. That 5th wheel is 15min. from me. I know the guy. 518/361-0747 Clarence
slate rock brock

Postby V8Brockway361TL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Thats the fifth wheel style I was describing. For me the price seems a little high on a used fifth wheel unless you know the history and what kind of wear might be on it. Make sure the air release cylinder for the slider is on it including linkage. Depending on chassis width and spring saddle cutout locations on the angle iron you may have to cut it off and put new angle iron or reweld for your location. When I do a fifth wheel slider I center the pivot pins in the middle of the slider and put them dead center over the spring center bolt. This way gives you equal sliding distance front and rear, but that is up to your application. Frank
V8Brockway361TL

Postby MikeHarbison » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 pm

tell me about the little B model van truck.
MikeHarbison

Postby FirstEliminator » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is what is going to become of the Mack:

It will be functional advertising. This is the design that myself and a local sign company started workign on this spring. The Mack was going to be my summer project. The cab is going to be painted green with black fenders. I also got a diesel to drop in as the gas EN401 is a giant dud. Even going downhill with a tailwind and heading towards a full moon this truck won't do 50mph. The diesel should bring the drivability up to par.
Unfortunately, my summer projects took a halt due to me almost killing myself in a dirtbike accident in August. I am much better now--back about 90-95%.

Mark
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Postby FirstEliminator » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:50 pm

One step closer to putting something together.

Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Postby FirstEliminator » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:00 am

Going slower than a snail's pace, it's time to get the 5th wheel mounted on the old Ward truck. I bought a couple box trailers to store excess that has accumulated in my shop.

Now, I need something to move then once I clear the space where I want to park them.

Me? Slow? Yessssss. Unfortunately there are many daily hurdles to cross before I can work on my own projects. Slowly but surely I'm passing these hurdles.
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
FirstEliminator

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help