It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Post subject: 13spd. Tranny oil
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Maybe somebody can help me out on this. I want to change the tranny oil in 2 of my RR 13spds. I have a 5gal. pail (new) of Castrol (p/n 30277) 90w straight mineral gear lube that I was told is the correct fluid for the trans. And I bought several years ago. However, Castrol doesn't make that anymore. I called their tech line and was told the replacement fluid is Castrol (p/n 40927) paradene 220 gear oil and not to mix it with the old part number fluid. I'm worried that I may need more than 5 gal. to fill 1 trans. so what would be compatable? How does one know if what's being drained out of these trannys is indeed mineral gear lube and not say 80-90w? Or, should I just bite the bullet and buy todays synthetic RR oil? Anybody out there have experience with this issue? .....Thanks, Dane

Post subject: Re: 13spd. Tranny oil
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:31 am 

Dane,
My fleet of Freightliners that work back in Green Island use regular gear oil, not synthetic. I change the oil every five years in the transmissions and rear ends and have done this all my life and have never had a failure. I use Kendall products as we take an oil sample with every change. Recently Kendall called and said we had a serious problem with diesel fuel in the motor oil in one of the Cats. We discovered a cracked injector cup and replaced the head. So far I have avoided four catastrophic loses due to oil sampling, and all on regular motor oil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:29 pm 

Dane-----Straight mineral gear oil is somewhat similar ,but won't have the sulphur smell that rear axle gear oil has . And the 90 wt.gear oil is a similar viscosity to 50 wt. engine oil . Your sales rep sounds greedy to tell you his current oil is not backward compatable with what you already have . I happened to have several cases of Pennzoil 50 wt racing engine oil for my last change in my Spicer .

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm 

Dane - 90W straight mineral oil is readily available thru your local NAPA store in convenient 2 gallon jugs. Let me know if you need anything.

V360TL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:33 pm 

Thanks for the reply gentlemen. Stan, I will check out NAPA. I haven't been to one in years. I'll likely go that route.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:24 pm 

A good farmer friend of mine was at the local TSC store. They have (GL-1) 90w mineral oil 2 gal. jugs on the shelf. So I went and got it there (Brockport, NY store). Only bad thing is the jug says its for 39-52 ford tractor tranny's. I don't care for fords, im a GM kinda guy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 pm 

Take the label off the jug!

V360TL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:44 pm 

It's a screen printed plastic jug.! I'm going to dump it in a 5gal pail.