New to owning a Brockway

Are you looking for an old part for your Brockway truck? Need help restoring an old truck? Here is the perfect forum to share with other Brockway owners.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

New to owning a Brockway

Postby mick.wilson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:32 am

Hi Guys,
I am buying this Brockway and wondered if somebody could point me in the right direction to get hold of a workshop manual?
Regards
Mick

mick.wilson

Re: New to owning a Brockway

Postby Enckway » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 am

Mick,
That is abolutely awesome!any idea what year?When will we see it in cortland?I was told if ww2 vintage most likely a different manufactures specs,just manufactured by brockway,but i could be wrong.

brian

welcome to the board, i know we probably won't see it being your from the UK :)
Last edited by Enckway on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enckway

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

Isn't that a model 666? So it's probably a 1942 or so? We don't see too many of those here on the message board.

It is a pretty common overseas toy model that pops up on Ebay a lot, made by a company called "Dinky".

I'm not sure if you can find a manual for it, but feel free to ask questions here on the board!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:56 am

oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:35 pm

WOW!! A 6X6 from the war. My Dad and Grandfather built those during the war. I think most were fitted for bridge laying but some were also firetrucks and cranes. Please keep us posted on your progress with this truck. We never get to see them here in the colonies.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby mick.wilson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
That's correct it's a 1943 Brockway 666 Quickway Shovel Crane, I am in the process of buying.
I have a mad love for US Military tucks and have restored Jimmy’s, Dodges and White Halftracks in the past and then found this Brockway and had to have it as my next project.

On my hunt for Brockway information I came across this site, I was hopping that you guys would know all about them, as I know nothing about Brockway’s and there are not many over here in the UK.

Manufactured by Brockway to US government spec would sound about right Brian, as it has the Hercules HXD engine fitted same engine as the Diamond T trucks of WWII.

Well it will be interesting to strip down when it arrives, I will keep you all posted.
Last edited by mick.wilson on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick.wilson

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:38 pm

That looks in complete and remarkably good shape. It's wonder it hasn't been ground up for scrap before now. Where are you located in the UK?

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby mick.wilson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:57 pm

I am based in Farnborough, Hampshire and the Brockway is in Kent, it in a yard owned by a WWII collector, His yard is full of US and British trucks and tanks from WWII.

He tells me it was up and running only 7 years ago, so I am hoping it will not take too much of a rebuild to have her on the road again.
mick.wilson

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:48 pm

Great!! Put some fresh oil in that bugger and let's start digging some holes! Please, Please, please keep us posted and we'll lend all the support we can. Never know, I may just drop by one day!

Emery Johnston
Charlotte, NC
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby mick.wilson » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Its $12 for a gallon of petrol over here so will possibly be looking at a diesel conversion, The Diamond T we have has a modern diesel DAF engine fitted, I would like to find a Hercules diesel for the Brockway to make user frendly, not that it has helped with the DT (I have spent last few weekends pulling the crank out of it).

http://514th.co.uk/english/site.php?use=Forum&act=viewtopic&t=813&sid=94fce2273d8ad686fc45098a8de899c1
mick.wilson

Postby steve s. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Excellent truck ! Occasionally I see manuals for the 666 on ebay, they sell cheap, probably because there are more manuals than trucks left. Corbitt also built the 666, and posibly Kenworth too. The Hercules engine is a favorite of OPEC, and you should probably avoid the Hercules diesel too, even if you find one. They were trouble when new, and I would bet parts are rare and expensive. Please keep us posted on your progress. Steve
steve s.

Postby dbaldwinjr » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Very nice piece. Have you been able to locate a serial number anywhere on it?
dbaldwinjr

Postby Enckway » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Mick,
Nice link to your re-enactment group,post more pics of your treasures please. You have tracked down an american workhorse and my family has a workhorse you might be familiar with?,a 53 fordson major diesel we still use on occasion my grandfather used on the farm,powerful and economical old gal....Brian
Enckway

Postby THEPATRIOT » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:58 pm

Good to see you are saving a great piece of history,have fun with it!
THEPATRIOT

Postby mick.wilson » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

Thanks again guys.

Enckway wrote:Mick,
Nice link to your re-enactment group,post more pics of your treasures please.
Brian

What ones would you like to see :D
mick.wilson

Postby Emery Johnston » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 pm

I've always been fascinated with half tracks!! Can we see more?
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Emery Johnston » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:30 pm

I've always been fascinated with half tracks!! Can we see more?
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby mick.wilson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:33 pm

Emery Johnston wrote:I've always been fascinated with half tracks!! Can we see more?

We have 3 White Halftracks within the group, great fun for battle re-enactment, hard work when they go wrong.
This link shows a major re-build that we had to do when the crank had snapped across the web, the Halftrack keep running pulling a two and half ton Bofors anti-aircraft gun for about 100 miles and would have kept running if it wasn’t for the track snapping 8)

You just can't beat American trucks.
http://514th.co.uk/english/site.php?use=Forum&act=viewtopic&t=35

Sorry Admin, it was not my intention to start Halftrack thread in the Brockway section, feel free to move me :oops: Mick
mick.wilson

Postby Enckway » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:23 pm

Nice call Emery,halftracks on my wish list. Mick here is a link that tells about corbitt making first 5 prototypes of the 666.

http://www.corbitttrucks.com/gpage2.html

Mick start another thread if you get censored,thanks for the pics. you fit in nicely with this group of collectors!
Enckway

Postby mick.wilson » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Enckway wrote:Nice call Emery,halftracks on my wish list. Mick here is a link that tells about corbitt making first 5 prototypes of the 666.

http://www.corbitttrucks.com/gpage2.html

Mick start another thread if you get censored,thanks for the pics. you fit in nicely with this group of collectors!

Wow what a great read, bit of a sad story. I can't wait for my 666 to turn up now, I am getting free delivery but it could be a 4 week wait :( Don't worry I will post the first photos on here.
mick.wilson

Next

Return to Brockway Repairs and Restoration Help