It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 155W Progress
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 am 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

We spent the 4th of July holiday weekend installed all the painted parts from the weekend before...

Here is the new floor board installed with all the pedals, etc... I put a layer of Dynamat underneath it for noise and heat and I'm anxious to see how it works out...

After finishing up the floor, I reinstalled the steering wheel and horn button...

Then we moved onto the stack brackets, pogo stick and air lines...

So from the back of the cab to the end of the truck we are 100% done. This past weekend I finished up all the rust repair and welding on my fenders. Boy was I glad to finish these... Lots of curves and bends to work with. My shrinker/stretcher from Eastwood and a bag full of lead shot helped with the repairs. They are on their way to the sandblaster this morning.

While I was working on the fenders, my buddy Mike was working on the bodywork on the doors. So last night we put a few coats of high building primer on then, and the wet sanding will now begin :lol:

More to follow...

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:15 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  AIM  Profile

were you using lead to fill on those fenders?!?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 am 

We got the fenders back yesterday from the sandblaster... He did a real nice job on them and we only found a few pin holes. Tonight they will get a few coats of variprime...

Ted... No, there is no lead in the fenders. What you looking at is my 'ground down' welds. After mig welding the patch pieces, I grind most of the weld off with a 1/16" 3" cut off wheel and finish it off with either a 36 or 60 flapper wheel on an angle grinder. You have to be careful with the flapper wheels since they are very aggressive and create a tremendous amount of heat...

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:54 pm 

Continues to look great Tom! Please don't stop with the pictures, as I can't make it to Cortland this year, and I really want to see it and hear it (if possible) with the doors and fenders completed and installed. Every time I see your pictures I wonder if I'm being thorough enough in my efforts!
Emery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:12 pm 

oops my bad! :lol: its looking good!

And emery, Im going to try and make a bigger and better video this year so hopefully you will never know that you werent there!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 am 

This weekend we painted the doors and all the hinges, etc. It took a while since the doors are white on the outside and red on the inside. Lot's of taping, etc...

Here are the door hinges... I drilled out the spot welds and split them so I could sandblast all the rust out. After I covered them with self etching primer, I reassembled them and tack welded them back together...

After shooting the outside of the doors white, we waited a half our and taped them off. You are always worried about lifting the fresh paint, but I bought fine line tape (green in color) made by 3M and it worked very well...

After the red was shot, we removed all the paper and cleared everything together...

Now it's on to the hood... I had an issue with (2) sections of my hood, so 1/2 of it is the original hood and the other 1/2 is from a parts truck.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:09 am 

We took the grill off the truck on Monday to get it ready for paint. Fortunately my son is supervising this project and is 'measuring' the grill up :)

I took the stamped stainless sheet out of a 379 Peterbilt grill and am using it in lieu of my painted one. The Peterbilt is almost identical if you rotate it 90 degrees and cut to fit..

Last night we hung the doors...

Tonight we'll hang the mirrors and dynamat the inside...

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:15 am 

Damn!! That's pretty! Gonna be ready for Cortland?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:20 am 

Thanks Emery... Sure hope to be ready for Cortland! Besides, there's at least 15 days left!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:57 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

WOW Tom!!!!!!
that looks great,I feel mine will never measure up, but what inspiration!!!!!
...........KEVIN :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

HI! TOM
YOUR TRUCK LOOKS BEAUTIFUL! YOU GOT MY VOTE FOR BEST OF SHOW $$$$$$$$$$

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP ( TONY )

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14 pm 

Tom, as always - fantastic job. Please try to make Cortland even if it's not 100% I took mine that first year with a bare rear frame and it was worth every minute. Stan 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:18 am 

Thanks for everyone's comments, I appreciate it!

Stan... Not for seeing any problems, I am driving the truck to Cortland whether I'm finished or not... Should have the hood and grill done by Monday. The fenders will take some time, but we are working 110% and will do our best to have them done.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:34 am 

Ok, 9 days left and here is where we're at...

On Saturday I spent the day working on the inside of the doors. I had an issue with the vent windows and had to reset the glass, but that's another story in itself. So I was finally able to install the vent windows and completely fit out the new door panels. While I was working on that, my Dad and Mike spent the entire day working on the grill shell... lots of dents, etc...

Here are some pics of the grill...

I had got some prices getting the grill shell on my Dad's 361 chromed, and I was looking at over $800 if I have a good core. Any dents, etc, and the price goes way up... Since my shell needed a lot of work, we decided to try a chrome paint from a company call 'Alsa'. We spent lots of time researching this and are keeping our fingers crossed... The first step of the process is to paint the shell black with either a single stage urethane or base coat/clear coat. So on Sunday, we shot the shell black...

Mike spent yesterday morning working on the (4) sections of hood and was able to high build primer them and guide coat them. He should be wet sanding them sometime today...

Last night we spent some time driving the truck and trying to resolve some issues with the Vari-speed governor that is under the carb. I couldn't get the truck to rev over 2100 rpm and it should go to 2900 - 3000 rpm. We temporarily fixed it but still have to fine tune it. After, I pulled it in the garage and installed the door fuzz for the side windows and then put the door panel on. Out of all my trucks, i picked the best driver side regulator I had but it's still pretty shot... Have to replace it later...

That's it for now...

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:02 pm 

feeling the pressure yet? hehe no shame in using liquid chrome thats what mine will probably end up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:26 pm 

Tom - If your doors take the same regulator as a 300 series I should have a good one for you. I know you don't want to change it out now, but keep it in mind. Stan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:22 am 
Send private message  Profile

Tom,

The 155W is looking great!!! Looking forward to seeing it in Cortland! There's no greater reward than taking it to a show for the first time!

Take care!!
Ray Hildreth

N361TLY
F257T
B61T
W925

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:19 am 

Thanks for all the positive feedback, appreciate it! I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone in Cortland...

Ok, so here are some progress pics from the last few days...

Last Thursday we spent the night wet sanding the hood. There was lots of rust pits in it so we had to put on a few extra coats of high build primer, which means lots and lots of wet sanding with 400... Then on Friday night we painted the hood and grill...

We did paint the grill shell with Alsa's 'Killer Chrome', and it came out exceptional until we put their clear coat on it. But that's another story in itself. So we made an 'executive decision' around midnight and decided to paint the shell white.

First step applied (BEFORE CLEAR)...

Second Step applies (AFTER CLEAR) Ugh....

So on Sunday we were ready to install the hood. You can never use enough tape when you are assembling. I have been buying 3M Blue Painters tape which is a lot easier to remove than normal tape (even after a few months...) The center hood hinge is from my Dad's 361. I scored a brand new one from Craig Morgan which was over 60" long, so I figured I would give it to my Dad, and cut down his old one (which was perfect in the middle and buggered on the ends...)

So with the help of Mike, Mikes Dad and my Dad, we carefully set the hood on. We really struggled with the fit of the hood and spent several hours making adjustments, shims, etc. It just doesn't fit that well. But it will do until I have time over the winter months...

So last but not least, Mike has spent the last two days working steady on the fenders. As of midnight last night, all the bodywork is done and both were primered and guide coated. So today my Dad and Mike will be wet sanding them out and we'll be shooting them red after work...

On Sunday while Mike was working on the fenders, I decided to tackle the rear quarter windows again. My bottoms were rusted badly. My Dad's '46 260XW had the same windows and the bottoms were competely rotted off and missing. So after locating another set for his truck, I took his original ones and use them to repair mine. Basically I used to top of the driver side to create a bottom for the passenger side and vice versa. We polished up the old plexiglass for now but I have a partial sheet of Lexan to replace it in the future.

That's it for now... more to follow as time permits :lol:

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:41 am 

WOW!! Really shaping up to be everything I expected! Please post pictures after the parade as I won't be able to be there and am really looking forward to seeing your truck. A video with shifting would be even better.

NICE JOB!!

Emery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:50 pm 

Tom, your quarter windows turned out pretty nice! Wonder if there is a stock material that could be shaped and fabricated to duplicate? Brockway had to fabricate these somehow!

Emery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next