Lyons Transportation Lines Brockway

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Lyons Transportation Lines Brockway

Postby John Woge » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Does anyone know of any photos of the 359 Brockways, that Lyons Transportation Lines, out of Erie, Pa ran ? They were an LTL freight co. with a lighter green cab and red frame. They put their initials...(coincidentally LTL) on the side of the trailers.

The 359s I'm thinking about.....had 903s and weed burner exhausts. They may of had some with different engines. I think they also ran some 358s.

John
John Woge

Re: Lyons Transportation Lines Brockway

Postby dockmen027 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 am

John,

Screamin DD (Kyle M) recently discovered an LTL White 7400 around Northeast PA, that also had an Cummins 903. Photos were posted on Dave Faust Truck Pictures on Hanks. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/df_ly ... ation.html

Hopefully a Brockway will turn up.
John K
dockmen027

Postby Screamin DD » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:31 pm

It is quite a coincidence that this was posted. Last week I was telling John Kilmer aka DOCKMAN. About the 359's and yes they were 903's. I remember one 359 in particular that had a late 60's early 70's White 4000 or 9000 grille insert. It must've lost its grill insert and they replaced it with the White. I am trying to remember John W. But I think I remember seeing a 759.I do not recall any 358's but that does not mean they didn't have any. When I ran line haul for Holland I worked with some old LTL drivers and also two dispatchers that worked for them in Buffalo. But no one had any pictures because I did ask them. They were a sharp fleet as good as Penn Yan Express, real quality equipment and care. hopefully some will pop up someday
Last edited by Screamin DD on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby Junkmandan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:07 pm

I reminded JW on his comments on the ATHS forum of Lyons phrase on their mudflaps that, on one said "Here Today" , and on the other said "There Tomorrow". I have a pair hanging in my pole barn.

Another fleet that used the 90 nuthin with weed burner exhaust was a good Brockway customer , Yankee Lines. I recall following one ,a 400 series, up a pretty good hill rather close to where I live southeast of Cleveland, that exhaust was reverberating off the pavement like an early boom box. Yankee's terminal in the early 60s was on Valley Road in Cleveland, next door to Gateway's terminal at that time. Their city tractors seemed to be all Brockway gas jobs at that time.
Junkmandan

Postby stubnosebrock » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Cant really call it a 9 0 nothing if YOU were following him up a hill...
stubnosebrock

Postby Brockway POWER » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I received a few photos on my website from a gentleman who is restoring a former White 7400 that once belonged to Lyons. It's not a Brockway but still cool.

http://dailydieseldose.com/1972-white-7400-cabover/

It is running a VT903. :wink:
Attachments
Cab-tilted-8-19-13.jpg
Brockway POWER

Postby bigdogz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 am

I have a clipping from the middle 80s when the Brockways were sold ,the pic shows more than one 359 w a White grill. There was a local company that had 3 of Lyons Fords, when did LTL go out.
bigdogz

Postby John Woge » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am

I thought Lyons lasted into very late 80's or maybe early 90's.........but it's been a long time, so I could be wrong ?

john
John Woge

Postby dockmen027 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:34 am

Photos from this page on Hank's has them operating into 1989 with new paint scheme, also there is a mention about the White cabovers.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/sh_lyons.htm
John K
dockmen027

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion