Brockways in junk yard

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Brockways in junk yard

Postby Glen Tolbert, Jr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:10 am

I found a few Brockways that need a home. I will take pictures when I go back and try to show them. Maybe next week. Glen
Glen Tolbert, Jr

Postby 71ZCarr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:56 pm

I was starting to think there were no Brockways in VA, I know where there's a bunch of Macks, but I've never seen any Brockways sitting around, at least not up in the northern part of the state. :(
71ZCarr

Agree

Postby Glen Tolbert, Jr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:03 pm

I have had a hard time finding any Brockway around here. These three are near Stuart. There were four, I bought one. There are over one hundred old odd Macks there, wrong dog. Glen
Glen Tolbert, Jr

Postby 71ZCarr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:59 pm

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were talking about Walker's. I was talking to a guy at the Cub Cadet dealer last week and we got talking about trucks and whatnot... he was telling me about all the trucks sitting in the woods at Walker's and offered to ride down with me so I didn't get lost trying to find it. :wink: :?
Of course, he had to tempt me first telling me about an old 57 H-63 Mack somewhere up here near Winchester that is for sale and is in running condition. My dad was driving a 57 H-63 when I was born so I've always had a soft spot for a nice old H model.

We moved here in 78 and even back then a Brockway was a rare site on the roads, unless it was someone passing thru from New England on their way south. I can't think of anyone within 100 miles of here that had one. :(
71ZCarr

Correct

Postby Glen Tolbert, Jr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:38 pm

I am about 20 minutes from, yes, Walker's. They are good people. Let me know and I will show where it is sometime, if you like. I am also about the same distance from 81. Is the H a COE? Glen
Glen Tolbert, Jr

Postby 71ZCarr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah, H's are COE's, this guy was telling me they had a few of the old Roy Stone and V-C H's sitting at Walkers along with F models.
He didn't tell me they had other makes as well, but then, he was a Mack man. :lol:

When I worked for ECL hauling mail in and out of Greensboro, I was always looking along 220 thinking I might spot something, I guess I should have known all the good stuff was way back in the woods.

I saw your location as SW VA and I was thinking back behind Wytheville somewhere in the coal country. :wink: You must be somewhere around Floyd then right?
71ZCarr

Correct again

Postby Glen Tolbert, Jr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:06 pm

He has some B models with the sleeper/cab as one unit. I realize this is not Brockway, but pictures soon. The Midliner frame is very close to my 358. Thus another measuring trip. Glen
Glen Tolbert, Jr

Postby 71ZCarr » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:14 pm

I guess it's a good thing they don't have a website or most of the trucks would be gone now. I know they did a piece on them in the ATHS magazine a few years ago, but I wasn't a member back then, otherwise I might have known about them before last week.
71ZCarr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Glen please e-mail me, I've lost your address. The "power prade" finally showed up last Monday. It looks like it took a ride around the country but no damage to the magazine. Stan 8)
Huskiedrive361

Postby 71ZCarr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:18 am

I would have posted a pic of an H-63 if I had any of my pics hosted somewhere. :oops:
THe H-67 had flat topped fenders with 4 headlights, and the grill and headlights from the H-67 were used on the G-73 cabover that was only built from 58-62.
71ZCarr

Thanks for pictures

Postby Glen Tolbert, Jr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:01 pm

They have several of both. I did not take the time to figure out the odd suspension. There was a strange type torque arm from the front rear axle springs to the dead rear axle. Was this a Mack detail or fairly common then? Again pictures soon... Glen
Glen Tolbert, Jr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Nice old trucks, but I'll bet a Huskie could out pull it. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby 71ZCarr » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:14 pm

Sorry Stan, I have divided loyalties.... :wink:

The first truck my father drove in 1947 was a 260 Brockway, then he or my grandfather bought it (conflicting stories on who really owned them, there were 3 in the family at one time, a 260, 154WH and a KB12 International) but by 62 when I was born, he was driving an H-63 and that was the first truck I ever sat in.
71ZCarr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:48 pm

Brockway is obviously my favorite after having worked for them, but when the factory branch closed where I worked, it was purchased by a Mack dealer and I worked ten years for them. I am very fond of the Mack Superliners. The first SL sold in upstate NY went thru our dealership. I picked it up at the assembly plant shipping yard in Allentown two days after it came off the line. Any old truck is better than the new junk out there today - no character. Stan 8)
Huskiedrive361

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion