Page 1 of 1

359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:42 pm
by Brockway POWER
Stumbled upon this truck the other day. Very solid.

Image

Somebody has scraped the Husky Town bumper sticker off. :evil:

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:53 pm
by stubnosebrock
Any ideas on the specs? Is it for sale?

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm
by quadbox
Stubnose It looks like 5" exhaust if it is correct size most likely 270-335 Cummins.Tin looks good in pictures.Joe D.

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm
by stubnosebrock
Joe thats exactly what I was thinking too, which is what piqued my interest.

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:53 pm
by Brockway POWER
Well, it's been there at least since the summer according to Google maps. Anyone know the guys at Slate Hill contractors? There were a few of their trucks parked in the lot.

The fender on the drivers side is a little messed up, missing the headlight bezel. More pics at my site.

6th North Street, Syracuse.

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:13 pm
by CVOGLER
Funny story with that truck My wife who use to be into techno music and clubing in NYC actually spotted this truck and snapped a pic while at the SCSD transportation garage next door about 18 months ago. Forwarded to dane but those 359s dont fit "our mold" lol She was so proud she actually spotted a brockway dane didnt know about, we asked her to crawl up on truck and get serial # but she declined!!

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:19 pm
by Brockway POWER
That's the one! There is no handle on the drivers door any more. Simple but effective security.

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm
by STRETCH
I know the owner of Slate Hill. Will inquire this week and let ya know.


Stretch 8)

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:40 am
by dbaldwinjr
Kelly's got the eye for spotting Brocks now. Sara does too, but she don't tell me about them anymore! :)

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:16 am
by Ofcschmidt09
Dump trucks must be thoroughly inspected before being put on the road. Trainees must also learn to exercise extreme caution not only for their own safety, but also to ensure the safety of co-workers while on the job site. Securing cargo using chains or ropes is also part of the necessary precautions, as is the method of loading of the truck. This may involve using forklifts or even manual loading, both of which require specific training.

OFC Schmidt

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 pm
by Huskiedrive361
That dump is the last 359 from Schyuler Co. Hwy in Watkins Glen NY. (I think) It was sold at auction a couple of years ago. PT270 Cummins and a 5 x 4 on air. They took great care of their trucks even going as far as changing injectors every couple years. Would be a great starter for someone if the rear frame is still ok. Townships around here salt pretty heavy.

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 pm
by Brockway700
Ofcschmidt09 wrote:Dump trucks must be thoroughly inspected before being put on the road. Trainees must also learn to exercise extreme caution not only for their own safety, but also to ensure the safety of co-workers while on the job site. Securing cargo using chains or ropes is also part of the necessary precautions, as is the method of loading of the truck. This may involve using forklifts or even manual loading, both of which require specific training.

OFC Schmidt


Tell me more

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:20 pm
by Emery Johnston
How does one secure a load of gravel with a chain!!! :-)

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm
by H762TL
Emery Johnston wrote:How does one secure a load of gravel with a chain!!! :-)

My thought exactly!

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:48 pm
by sbrant358
Emery Johnston wrote:How does one secure a load of gravel with a chain!!! :-)

very carefully :? :shock:

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm
by popper70
:?: probably the same way you would push a chain along BEHINDyou :roll:

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 pm
by vplow
Huskiedrive361 wrote:That dump is the last 359 from Schyuler Co. Hwy in Watkins Glen NY. (I think) It was sold at auction a couple of years ago. PT270 Cummins and a 5 x 4 on air. They took great care of their trucks even going as far as changing injectors every couple years. Would be a great starter for someone if the rear frame is still ok. Townships around here salt pretty heavy.


If it was Schuyler County's, it looks like it might have just been a hauler (or maybe a sand/salt truck, if Schuyler Co. ever did the (kinda silly) "contract with the town to plow, but send a second truck out from the county to spread", deal)? Without changing the exhaust I don't see clearance for a wingbox, and the frame doesn't extend out far enough in the front (or show evidence of modification) to look like a plow truck. Not sure what implications any of that may have for the ancestry of the truck or the condition thereof....

Re: 359 Dump Truck in Syracuse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:21 pm
by Huskiedrive361
Schuyler had a couple that they used without plow equipment for ditching in the summer and hauling salt in, during the winter. Not totally sure if this is their old one or not. Sure is a straight piece!