Brockway Pic of the Week 4-12-10

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: Brockway Pic of the Week 4-12-10

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:06 pm

The Volvo looks to be very close to Brockway standard green. Color chips of this green are readily available.You see them on E-bay all the time. The yellow color of the Ford parked behind the Volvo seems to be somewhat close to the old 550 Brockways. Maybe the paint scheme varied by dept. within the city, ie: green for roads and streets, yellow for refuse, etc. All I can say is that any City of Binghamton truck I ever saw was filthy. I don't think they washed them much back then.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby vplow » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks Stan! Sounds like the one at Dave Geroge's must have either been a repaint, or not a City of BIngahmton truck after all (unless it faded really really badly or there was yet another paint color they used at some point).

I assume those 300s (any idea if 358 or 361 or other?) you mentioned were standard dump/plow units?

A lot of their newer (mostly dark green) stuff doesn't look too bad from what I've seen, but by the early 2000s the yellow fords and some similar-vintage stuff was looking pretty beat- dirt/rust/dents/dings/etc. all over. I think that's almost universal of "City" DPWs though, at least from what I've seen- usally ridden hard, put away wet and filthy, and any paint they ever get after they leave the factory seems to only come in small doses from the krylon or rustoleum can, if they even get any! Of course they probably get a lot more banged up than the more rural town/county trucks (plus probably only run straight salt instead of sand or mix which probably doens't help any with rust) do anyway, just because of the enviroment they work in- lots of obstacles and more traffic to tangle with. But an occaisonal wash or new paint wouldn't hurt :lol:
vplow

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:04 pm

The green single axle dump I remember was a 361 with Cummins power. It had rigging for a directional plow but no wing. Definitely a city rig built for narrow side streets. That white C of B truck a Dave George's may very well have been from another dept. such as park services or something. If you have the serial #, you could have the museum run the records on it.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby vplow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Thanks again Stan! All I have to go on is that one online pic and a comment under claiming it was a City of Binghamton unit, so that was why I figured I'd ask in this thread after finding it and seeing the discussion of some City of Binghamton stuff here.

But if they had green 361s for sure, I may just do a model of one of those, or at least as close as I can come with never seeing one , or a pic of one. Any recollection if they had regular fenders, or plate "construction" fenders like that 358? Were they using the same round white decal back then? I've seen a pic of a BInghamton Seagrave aerial (yellow and white) from the early-mid 70s and it had the exact same decal Binghamton DPW still use, so I would assume DPW would have been using the same as well at that time.

I've done a few other Brockway plow truck models, one of these days I just have to get around to posting a couple pics in the models thread here.
vplow

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 am

Although they were offered, few 300 series trucks, short or long nose, had construction style fenders coming off the assembly line. All were built with the "traditional" fenders that I can remember.
While doing your research for this project, it might be worth your while to contact C of B DPW and talk with the superintendent. The city might very well have old photographs they could copy. You could get a answer on the door decal too. Usually it is referred to as the city seal. I am willing to bet that they are proud of their history and service to the area. Most of these departments are, especially any of the old time drivers. Good luck with the project, please post us some pictures of your model if you start building.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby vplow » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks for the help and encouragement Stan. I've frequantly contacted various departments to try and seek info or old photographs- usually the rural towns and counties are very helpful and receptive, especially once they understand what I'm looking for and why, but cities or more urban counties can sometimes be a bit less interested in talking old trucks. But I may give it a shot and see. Either way, when I saw the pic of that 358 and then you had some recollections of Binghamton Brockways I figured I'd ask and at least try and get some general ideas as a starting point. Will post pics of some models sometime soon.

Much appreciate the help!

Mark
vplow

Previous

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion