Brockway Pic of the Week 4-12-10

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Brockway Pic of the Week 4-12-10

Postby oldspwr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:56 am

A few weeks ago Dominic Z. stopped by the garage and mentioned he had a handful of Brockway pics. Last week my Dad picked them up and here is one from that collection.

From what was explained to me, these two 761's were actually a pair that was part of the final Iran order (possibly due to their rock dump beds?) I'm not 100% sure about that, and there is no 'text' on the bottom of the pic. It's an 8x10 pic that is very similar to the factory pics that Brockway issued in the 70's. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Regardless, this is a great looking pair of 761's!

oldspwr

Re: Brockway Pic of the Week 4-12-10

Postby 75N761TLL » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 am

Don't know exactly where they were headed, but looks like some serious heavy hauling. Notice the beefed-up tow pin assembly on front?
Good looking trucks though, too bad if thbey did end up over there.
75N761TLL

Postby pat ardhiere » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Good Looking Brockways !
Pat Archiere
pat ardhiere

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm not positive but I always thought that the Iran trucks were yellow shade of orange. Not even sure why I think that, maybe some pictures I saw years ago. Also, I don't think the Iran trucks had any stripes, they were "plain jane" paint schemes. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby paulgcgpr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:27 am

Huskiedrive361 wrote:I'm not positive but I always thought that the Iran trucks were yellow shade of orange. Not even sure why I think that, maybe some pictures I saw years ago. Also, I don't think the Iran trucks had any stripes, they were "plain jane" paint schemes. Stan

And weren't the last of the Iran trucks assembled down in FL, more specifically Miami area? In looking at the trees, I'm thinking that is a more northern climate.
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:53 am

yes, I have to agree with you guys, these do not appear to be the Iran trucks. The pics looks like it was taken in the northeast and not Miami. I was just forwarding the info as it was told to me. I would really love to see some pics of those last trucks... Maybe I will check with Tatra on the ATHS forum.
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:54 am

I think Stan's right about the color and I seem to remember they were oil field rigs with a bunch of gear on the front. Foliage observation is also correct. I know I've seen pictures of them in the past and they weren't dumps.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby steve s. » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:19 pm

In the Herman Sass book, there is a picture on page 65 of one of the Iran bound Dump trucks.
The pic of the week trucks do not have the same dump bodies. I have seen another, better pic of a parking lot full of those trucks, waiting to be shippedout, but I can't recall where I saw it. Steve
steve s.

Postby dbaldwinjr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:42 pm

My records indicate that the last truck serial number is 761-92308. The closest truck(s) I have actually found and seen with my own eyes are 92154 and 92155 which last I knew were in Cambridge, NY former City of Binghamton, NY 550's....Dane
dbaldwinjr

Postby bigdogz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:39 am

The photos in question were taken at W.Virginia Truck Sales Inc. in Charleston WV. Dane as far as the serial #s go you are right the 92308 or something near that were the last cortland built trucks. The Miami built trucks had lower #s because their order was so old . When the trucks were built in Miami they were built by mack not Brockway and the reason they were built at all was because they were under contract and Mack did not want to be stuck with the uncommon components for 45 trucks. This order was over a year old when the trucks were built. this story was told to me by Robert J.Mathews the last president of Brockway. Stan could you shed some light on some of the trucks that were finished up by thr Elmira branch? bigdogz
bigdogz

Postby huskidrive 359 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 am

Thanks for the factual information Dave, and yes Stan any info or recolection of the trucks finished in Elmira? Paul
huskidrive 359

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Dane - the 550's for the city of Binghamton, there were four or five, suprisingly came thru the Elmira branch, not Cook Bros. in Binghamton. Don't know why? They had Cummins Sunstrand automatic transmissions, which even Cummins later admitted was a total failure. We changed them out with Allisons as each one failed under warranty. As for the last Brockways built in Elmira, I'm proud to say I was there and helped build them!!!!! There were four chassis we had sold in various stages of assembly on the line or waiting to be built in Cortland when the plant shut down. One of our senior mechanics and the service manager went up to the plant with our old Brockway wrecker and brought them down to Elmira. The next day a gold painted single axle Brockway 761 with a tilt hood towing a van trailer that said "Brockway" on the nose brought down crates full of parts and a couple of cabs on skids. Two of the trucks had cabs mounted and were nearly complete, two were frames and drivelines with engines. The crates all had serial numbers written on them to tell us which went where. The truck I remember most was the one I mounted the fuel tanks and exhaust system on as well as prepped it for delivery after it was finished. It was a red cab, red frame N761TL headed for City of Scranton PA (I think). If it could be found and if it still has the original Cummins oil pan on the engine, my initials SJA, and the date 7/77 are scribed in the flat slope of the bottom of the oil pan. I should have taken pictures or maybe stamped the frame near the serial number, but hey I was a 19 year old kid who really didn't know any better. Not really sure of the serial number but it was a high 922XX something if I remember right. The other three trucks were similar, but not all for the same customer, one was yellow. There were three or four old guys from the plant that came down to help us assemble them, and they were very fussy about how we bolted stuff on the frames, bolt direction, length, etc. Even as they were about to be un-employed they had pride in how those trucks were being built. Try and find workers like that today!!!! I still have my last pay stub from Brockway. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Brockway POWER » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:53 am

The wealth of knowledge on this site is amazing.
Brockway POWER

Postby huskidrive 359 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks for sharing a great story Stan, love reading those neat stories. Now I'll be looking for your initials on Cummins powerer 761's thanks Paul
huskidrive 359

Postby diamondmike » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Nice pic and the added information is great. I was at the J.M. Giddings garage yesterday and noticed that pic hanging on the wall.
diamondmike

Postby dbaldwinjr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:51 pm

The biggest break of serial numbers on my registry list occurs around s/n 88452 thru s/n 89119. That is the biggest span of numbers which I don't have any recorded s/n's. I'm not saying that those are the Iran trucks, but looking at the numbers, it kinda makes sense. I'm sure they wern't all built at once either. Brockway still would have had to build for other customers. How many trucks per day was the factory able to produce in the early to mid 70's?
dbaldwinjr

Postby vplow » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:55 pm

Reviving an old thread here for a moment to see if there is perhaps some more info to be had. A few weeks back I found some pics of some old Brocks that were sitting around at Dave Gorge's in BInghamton/Conklin back in the 90s. One was a white Brockway (forget the model, but it was a short-nose IIRC, maybe a 358- not a COE which is what a 550 is, correct?) and the caption said it was a formerly a City of Binghamton truck. STill had the plow lift frame on the front. So I searched around to try to find any more info on City of Binghamton Brockways and found this old thread, in which Stan and Dane both specifically mention City of BInghamton Brockways. So, if either of you guys or anyone else could possibly recall, do you know if these trucks were white when Binghamton owned them or another color? (Bingahmton's 1980s-era stuff was yellow and since the 90s or so has been green, always with a round white decal as far as I know; so not sure if they painted trucks white before the yellow or if that was a secondhand owner's paint on that truck at Dave George's). Also, I know Cambridge and visit usually at least once a year or so- so info on the status/wherabouts of the two trucks Dane mentioned would be welcome. I'm consdiering trying to put together a model of one of these, but that one pic is all I have to go on. I was going to link it here but right now I can't even retrace my steps back to it- will try again later!

Thanks!

Mark
vplow

Postby slate rock brock » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm

Last I knew all of the 550's are still in Cambridge. FYI, they are/were registered as 1978's. CR
slate rock brock

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 pm

To the best of my knowledge, and working with my ever fading memory, all of City of Binghamton's 550's were a funny shade of yellow, not bright like a school bus, but more of an dirty cream yellow color. They had a couple of 300 series that were Brockway standard green too. This would have been early eighties.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby vplow » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks guys! It was actually on the Brockway Today Facebeook page that I'd found that pic- it's a 358 and loks to be more or less white (image is attached)- is this the color you meant Stan? Or more like the yellow they had later (see the CIty of Binghamton Ford in the attched pic- although this color sometimes faded to more of a cream-yellow with age)? Just trying to figure out if that white or cream color is BInghamton paint or not. Also, any idea if they frame-mounted the spreaders or put them in the body? And "Standard Brockway green" to me from my obsevations would be the common pine-ish color, maybe a shade or so lighter that the Binghamton Volvo in the pic?

This pic is the first I'd known about Binghamton having Brockways as plows, so I'm pretty excited about trying to model one of them, but the pic also raises almost as many questions as it answers.

Thanks again!
Attachments
City of Binghamton Volvo Ford.jpg
dave geroge x city of binghaotn 358.jpg
vplow

Next

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion