It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Post subject: Husky Hood Ornament
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:08 am 
I just bought a husky hood ornament. I didn't know about Brockway vehicles until I did some reading and, ultimately, stumbled onto this website. I am a husky owner and was considering having it touched up and possibly chromed and placed on the hood of my truck. Problem is a) the wife is upset that I'm being a fanatic about my dog to the extent I would even THINK of doing such a thing, let alone DO it, and b) I'm not too confident about drilling holes in my hood for a hood ornament---especially considering the item didn't come with the metal platform and hardware to mount it and that I would probably have to have something like that fabricated.

My question is, does this item have any value? Is it rare? I am NOT looking to sell it to the highest bidder and I'm not asking with money in mind. I like the item and plan to have it finished whether it gets mounted to my hood or not. Just curious as to whether or not I stumbled onto something that is rare, or something that is out there in bunches for those who might seek one for their restoration project. I would hate to be keeping someone from finishing up their dream truck that is only absent a hood ornament to look authentic.

Post subject: Re: Husky Hood Ornament
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:15 am 
Send private message  E-mail  WWW  Profile

The Husky dogs are not very rare, and at any given time there are at least 1 or 2 on Ebay. i have seen them sell from $25 to over $300 for gold NOS ones in their original boxes. There is a guy who is re-popping them and I believe he gets around $100 or so for them.

What model Brockway are you looking to put it on? I'm sure someone on here can help with dimensions of the mounting holes. Since it sounds like your truck never came with one, I'm guessing that you need the bracket that 'flips' over the radiator cap?

Can you post some pics of your truck?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:04 am 
I don't own a Brockway. I have a new Tundra. I'm an eccentric dog owner who bought the dog for a new, full sized crewmax V8. Before I went through with this crazy thought, I wanted to make sure that Brockway owners weren't at times searching for one of these things and that I was inadvertantly keeping someone from finishing up a restoration project.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:45 am 
Send private message  E-mail  AIM  Profile

The short answer is "NO!" you won't be depriving anyone of a hood ornament, but we all thank you for your consideration and please help people understand that it came off a Brockway truck, the "most rugged truck in the world!!" I put one on my F-150 tool box and had to go back and fabricate rubber washers once I discovered six inches of water in my tool box. Also had to drill some drain holes. It's amazing how much water can pass through a couple of 1/4" holes with bolts through them.

Emery Johnston
Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 am 
Mine has no base. That is, it only has three feet that can be mounted to the hood. Is there a part I should seek or try to fabricate, ya think, before mounting on a hood?

My last name is Johnston also.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm 

I love your enthusiam!

We currently have a few "project" trucks at the museum. You could get one of those to put the Huskie on...or you can get this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0429446820 and place them next to each other!

Also...visit our online store and get a stuffed Huskie dog for the collection!

Creating a mount that rises up from the seam of the hood and front header panel could work!

Post a picture of the "Huskie" and welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Bill!! :?: What do you think that Huskie should go for ? $$$$$$$

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 pm 

It is a custom creation...available only from our little group.

I think that at least $500 is fair... If you want one, let me know and I will
pass it on (that is if no body else reads this)

:mrgreen: :lol: :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 pm 
Send private message  E-mail  Profile

Will this be the only one made?

will there be other duplicates made?

If so how many will be made?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 pm 

Glad you happened to ask...you see, there is one on ebay to help raise some museum funds...

This "Huskie" is hand made. No two will be alike. The work and the effort needed for you to even see this creation was amazing. Created by hand, first there was a hand carved, custom clay mockup. After trial and error, the clay was used to create a mold for this Huskie. Then, the actual creation in fiber glass was fashioned using time honored methods.

If I remember...there will be 10 and each will have a serial number...

Our Friend, the Huskie, stands 13 Inches Tall, which includes the base....He is 19 inches long. The Base is 13 inches wide at the front and 10 inches wide at the back. He weighs in at a hefty 18 lbs!

The Huskie is Molded Seperate...then permenently attached to the base.

What you see here is the work of an 82 year old artist who was asked to help the museum with a project that will raise money by it's sale...it is a custom creation and not a production piece. Variations of the Masters Hand at work is to be expected and appreciated.

ebay offering.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 pm 
I bought one for about 50 and am trying to figure out how to get it mounted on a base of some sort and then have the entire thing chromed. I want it on my new Tundra, but my wife is upset about the idea. The compromise might be that it goes on the aluminum tool box in the back.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:24 pm 
Brockway Express wrote:
Glad you happened to ask...you see, there is one on ebay to help raise some museum funds...

This "Huskie" is hand made. No two will be alike. The work and the effort needed for you to even see this creation was amazing. Created by hand, first there was a hand carved, custom clay mockup. After trial and error, the clay was used to create a mold for this Huskie. Then, the actual creation in fiber glass was fashioned using time honored methods.

If I remember...there will be 10 and each will have a serial number...

Our Friend, the Huskie, stands 13 Inches Tall, which includes the base....He is 19 inches long. The Base is 13 inches wide at the front and 10 inches wide at the back. He weighs in at a hefty 18 lbs!

The Huskie is Molded Seperate...then permenently attached to the base.

What you see here is the work of an 82 year old artist who was asked to help the museum with a project that will raise money by it's sale...it is a custom creation and not a production piece. Variations of the Masters Hand at work is to be expected and appreciated.

ebay offering.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MESELX:IT

I must admit that even though I am not a Brockway enthusiast that the Huskie is a rugged looking ornament and a fitting one as well. I like the one on Ebay that is giant sized, but it is a little rich for my blood. That said, I told my wife that a "husky" themed truck with a "husky powered" engine package would be appropriate because a Huskie is a pulling, hearty animal that can withstand the cold elements and has great endurance. Come to find out, Brockway thought of my idea decades ago and even had a Huskiedrive model, I 've read. :)