Brockway fleets

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: Brockway fleets

Postby Screamin DD » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:43 pm

One from Yankee out of Wilmington De.
Scan45.jpg
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby Brocky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Kyle

Thanks for the Ithaca Delivery pictures.. I took my NYS Class 1 road test in 1967 on one of their 154W Tractors.

Brocky
Brocky

Postby sbrant358 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Isn't that picture of the Ithaca Delivery 155 the same one that's in the Brockway photo book? I thought it looked familiar.
sbrant358

Postby BrockwayMT » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Who has the "Happy Hooker" now? I test drove it at Doug Fetterlys place about 8 years ago when the gent from Carthage owned it. Mike maybe? Had a green 361 and silver side trailer.

It wasn't a bad ride. I just didn't particularly want a tandem at the time.
BrockwayMT

Postby H762TL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 pm

BrockwayMT wrote:Who has the "Happy Hooker" now? I test drove it at Doug Fetterlys place about 8 years ago when the gent from Carthage owned it. Mike maybe? Had a green 361 and silver side trailer.

It wasn't a bad ride. I just didn't particularly want a tandem at the time.

That has to be Mike Roderick
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby Screamin DD » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I believe the HAPPY HOOKER now is a resident of the BUCKEYE
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby quadbox » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Must be a different "Happy Hooker" as the one I know is Johnson's Towing 361 Brockway Wrecker that was at Cortland this year.What is this other one? Thanks Joe D.
quadbox

Postby STRETCH » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Kyle,

Is this the truck you are thinking of???

It was located near Potsdam N.Y.

It was sold to someone in Ohio...or so I was told.
It originally was used as a tow tractor.
Attachments
DSC03297.JPG
STRETCH

Postby BrockwayMT » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm talking about the red Herr's truck on the first page of this thread. Those pictures must be quite old. I looked at it around 2004 and it was a lot more deteriorated than in those pictures.
BrockwayMT

Postby H762TL » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:50 pm

BrockwayMT wrote:I'm talking about the red Herr's truck on the first page of this thread. Those pictures must be quite old. I looked at it around 2004 and it was a lot more deteriorated than in those pictures.

That could be the truck, it has a 300 series bumper and the same air cleaner.

But on a second look the cab lights are different...
Last edited by H762TL on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby STRETCH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

Jeff...that is the truck. After reading back a few pages I remember the guy telling me it was red at one time. It also has a engine change from a 230 to 250 Cummins. That was one of my draws to the truck. I will tell you it did sound sweet!

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby Double Dog » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Screamin DD is correct the Happy Hooker is in Ohio now. I have talked with the new owner a few times about it.
I purchased the truck from Herr's back in 1994 from the Canandaigua terminal. I'm good friends with the former head mechanic from Herr's who followed the truck from Ruffalo's to Herr's. In it's later years they made it into a 5th wheel type wrecker.
Many days I wish I would have kept the truck and done it over myself! Yes it ran and sounded sweet!!!

Ray Hildreth
Ray Hildreth

N361TLY
F257T
B61T
W925
Double Dog

Postby GSM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Emery Johnston wrote:Antbody remember Red Star express out of Auburn NY or Proscino and Rossi (P&R Macaroni) also out of Auburn? My dad used to sell them Brockways in the late forties early fifties.

I do, Broke down going to Rochester back in the 70's. Made it to there terminal for a fix.
GSM

Postby gdmurphey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:28 pm

GSM wrote:
Emery Johnston wrote:Antbody remember Red Star express out of Auburn NY or Proscino and Rossi (P&R Macaroni) also out of Auburn? My dad used to sell them Brockways in the late forties early fifties.

I do, Broke down going to Rochester back in the 70's. Made it to there terminal for a fix.

Probably sold him one of these --

When we see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear, too often we miss the point!!
gdmurphey

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 pm

That was back in the fifties! I was pretty young. Thought Auburn was the hub of civilization :-)
Musta had a terminal there if anything.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby BrockwayNick » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Another Brockway fleet, was Krajack Tank Lines. In the early 70's most of the company trucks where Brockway's and some of the o/o had Brockways too. From what I can remember they had three or four straight trucks that where used for N.Y city deliveries. I believe there was a couple 359 models and a couple 361's with fuel oil style tanks mounted on them. The tractors where all 361's. One of them i understand was the Brockway show truck (the red and gold one with the Cat engine) or built just like the show truck. Joe Krajack senior seen that truck and just had to have it! Thats what my father always told me. I know Mike Tarentino has one of the old company trucks still. I have a few sheets of office paper with the company letter head on it and that truck in the back ground. I was able to get it before they went out of business. My fathers only brand new truck in a career that lasted 40 yrs. as an o/o was his '72 360. He ordered it the year I was born. I have pictures of myself about 3 months old my father holding me in that truck. A proud new father and proud new owner of a fine Brockway! I wish I had pics of some of the company trucks and some of the other drivers trucks to share with you guys. It was a great looking fleet of trucks, all red and gold and always clean and shined up. Boy it was a different time back then, drivers and owners cared for there trucks and drivers. Not like todays drivers and owners.

Another great fleet of some of the baddest Brockway's on the road was B.M Underwald from N.Y. All black and chrome with V-12 Detroits. I bet they got the job done out there on the island hauling sand. I wish i could see them still running today.
BrockwayNick

Postby fuller10b1120 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Ispent from 1961 to 1970 working in the Boston branch, I will name fleets as memory will allow . Someone had picture of a blueline n358tl, in fact they bought 4 of them and i installed automatic greaseing systems on all of them,1/8th plastic tubing to each fitting and timed by x number of brake applactions, only ones i ever saw. Shawmut in boston has been mentioned,they had N257tls 3or 4 with 3speed rearends not many of them around. Others that come to mind is Cape Ann trans. Glouster Mass 2or3 N257Ts Lipson oil several wildly painted 148l oil delivery trucks. Tommey Stumules had N257T andTLs Catalano bros. Charlestown Mass. hauling sheetrock P. V. Adams out of Sanford Me several N258Ts Margio Bros 5 257ts Lopez in Waltham Mass. heavy hauling and lumber. Well my mind is smokeing hope this jogs someones memory and can add to this list. Chuck Logan
fuller10b1120

Postby quadbox » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Chuck you mention Lopez Waltham,Mass. They had a terminal directly behind ours in Port Newark,NJ in 1970'S. Company Trucks as I remember were all Brockways with Detroit Diesel 8V-71'S. Their mechanic in Port Newark was named Hank maybe you knew him. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby Ernie Delli Santi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 pm

BrockwayNick wrote:Another Brockway fleet, was Krajack Tank Lines. In the early 70's most of the company trucks where Brockway's and some of the o/o had Brockways too. From what I can remember they had three or four straight trucks that where used for N.Y city deliveries. I believe there was a couple 359 models and a couple 361's with fuel oil style tanks mounted on them. The tractors where all 361's. One of them i understand was the Brockway show truck (the red and gold one with the Cat engine) or built just like the show truck. Joe Krajack senior seen that truck and just had to have it! Thats what my father always told me. I know Mike Tarentino has one of the old company trucks still. I have a few sheets of office paper with the company letter head on it and that truck in the back ground. I was able to get it before they went out of business. My fathers only brand new truck in a career that lasted 40 yrs. as an o/o was his '72 360. He ordered it the year I was born. I have pictures of myself about 3 months old my father holding me in that truck. A proud new father and proud new owner of a fine Brockway! I wish I had pics of some of the company trucks and some of the other drivers trucks to share with you guys. It was a great looking fleet of trucks, all red and gold and always clean and shined up. Boy it was a different time back then, drivers and owners cared for there trucks and drivers. Not like todays drivers and owners.

Another great fleet of some of the baddest Brockway's on the road was B.M Underwald from N.Y. All black and chrome with V-12 Detroits. I bet they got the job done out there on the island hauling sand. I wish i could see them still running today.

I remember talking to your father outside a little diner on rt 1&9 in Linden when that truck (Brock 360) was new!! Wow a small world,I was about 18 in 1972 working for Colonial Sand and Stone and was parked with an A-Car dump trailer with about 35 ton of sand, and he could not believe that little 238 with a 4X4 could pull it, I told him thats why I couldn't run the TP from S-Amboy to Nwk.! B.M Underwald was from Linden NJ and the owner Bruce is back in the Dump Truck business in Elizabeth NJ, ya know I've got to ask him if he has some pic's of those 360U's and all the other bad boys he had!
BULLHUSK
BULLHUSK
Ernie Delli Santi

Postby fuller10b1120 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:13 pm

quadbox wrote:Chuck you mention Lopez Waltham,Mass. They had a terminal directly behind ours in Port Newark,NJ in 1970'S. Company Trucks as I remember were all Brockways with Detroit Diesel 8V-71'S. Their mechanic in Port Newark was named Hank maybe you knew him. Joe D.

Hi quadbox when i left in 10/70 they were all Brockways and the latest truck had a cummins 262,they may have gone to the 2stroke after i left.
fuller10b1120

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion