Brockway fleets

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: Brockway fleets

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Joe, I know that was the tranny of choice for gas engines, but my Dad had told me repeatedly that Brockway's success was based on their ability to engineer gear combo's that delivered the most bang for the bucs and allowed them to out perform other makes on the highways. Diesel power curves being different (flatter) I'm curious to know what this used and what a BUDA diesel was. (Where are all you old farts when we need ya?). I guess it would have been easy to stick with what traditionally worked for them but frankly I'd be a bit disappointed if that's what they really did as they moved into the diesel era, instead of applying the same clever engineering expertise that they were so well respected for, to this new source of power.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Google search for "Diesel, BUDA" turned up a good description of BUDA on Wikepedia. If I knew how to upload the link I would, but I'm digitally challenged and could only give my search parameters. Enjoy!!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Screamin DD » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:53 pm

If you look on the side of the hood, that is the "BUDA" Badge. Many west coast trucks used the Buda in early years, many of CF's first cabovers had them, but failed. The Cummins were more reliable. I only thought Brockway used Continental exclusively in this era, so it may have been a repowered unit
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby tomcat361 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

tomcat361
BUDA ENGINES
I also looked up buda but could not find out much except they were a low compression diesel engine!!I would bet they were used in construction equipment shovels etc. I think they were bought out buy allis chalmers ???
I remember seeing a old Ward Lafrance around 1958 on the pa turnpike that ran a Buda engine. We met him at the Howard Johnson Rest Stops from time to time!! I remember it poured black smoke in small puffs like it wasn"t revving up too high!! It was pulling a freight trailer and the right side was totaly black from the exhaust.
I stand to be corrected but in those days the speed limit on the Pa Pike was 50MPH for trucks !! I imagine they used a main box and auxillary trans !! mostly 2 speed rears!
tomcat361
tomcat361

Postby quadbox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:00 pm

If that truck with Buda Diesel was built in 1940'S or so Fuller did not have a Roadranger in production until the 1950'S. This is reason I say 5X2 speed rear or 5 Main 3 speed aux. Up until mid 50's there were not a lot of choices in trans. It would be interesting to find out more about truck. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby Enckway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:42 am

I found this on wikipedia: My father and I looked at a 50's allis chalmers hd-21,15 years ago with a blown "buda" engine, may have been the weak link because dozer was hardly worn.There is more on wikipedia, It spelled out different truck manufacturers kw,mack etc. that used this but not brockway

Buda Engine was founded in 1881. Based in Harvey, Illinois, Buda manufactured engines for industrial, truck, and marine applications. Early Buda engines were gasoline fueled. Later, diesel fueled engines were introduced, utilizing proprietary Lanova cylinder head designs, injection pumps and nozzles. These were known as Buda-Lanova diesel engines. Buda Engine Company was acquired by Allis-Chalmers in 1953. The Buda-Lanova models were re-christened "Allis-Chalmers diesel".

Buda's engines were water-cooled, in-line 4, 6, or 8 cylinder models. Buda advertisements in the early 1900's proclaimed Buda as "Pioneer of the cast-in-block" method. Their engines featured long stroke, enclosed valves, noisless timing gears, and self contained oiling system. Early 4-cylinder gasoline fueled models produced 30 to 60 bhp. Later 6-cylinder diesel fueled Buda-Lanova engines exceeded 200 bhp.

Their principal competitors were Hercules, Waukesha, Continental Motors, Wisconsin, Lycoming, Rutenber, Hall-Scott, LeRoi, Weidely, and Herschell-Spillman.

The 4-cylinder Buda gasoline engine was favored by many early truck manufacturers, who were converting horse-drawn vehicles to self-propelled models. By the late '20's, trucks were getting larger and required larger engines, such as Buda's 6-cylinder models. As diesel engines grew in popularity in the 1930's, Buda responded with 4 and 6 cylinder diesel-fueled engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buda_Engine_Co.

Later......Brian
Enckway

Postby huskidrive 359 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks for the info Brian, I didn't know of this engine, I'm pretty week on this earlier stuff.
huskidrive 359

Postby bigdogz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:16 am

Regaurd that PENN YAN #999 I looked at the remains of her in northeast PA not far from Harford. My uncle told me about a guy that was hauling hay with a 759 and the truck was for sale. When I got to look at it the engine was out and the cob was off,the guy told me it was a PY truck and maybe the last brock they bought? It was the first time that I ever saw the Hendricson air pad suspension. this was in 1998
bigdogz

Postby Screamin DD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am

That has to be the truck,too bad
KYLE
Screamin DD

Postby Iceslider » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

In Mass. back in the day there was a few smaller Brockway fleets,a lot of oil guys had one or two of them.One can't forget Lopez Trucking out of Waltham,C.J. Mabardy Sand and Gravel out of N.Cambridge and Wajer's Express from down by the Rhode Island border.A guy,I think his name was Ferreira had 5 or 6 Brockway tractors with 318's pulling Fruehauf dump trailers back in the 1970's,boy they sounded great......Hey,Mike P,remember those?? Al
Iceslider

Postby Mike Pacitto » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:27 am

Hi Al,
Brings back some good memories, I moonlighted at Watertown trucking when he had 2 K361's and 2 H360 's. Larry Trebino/ Mass Truck Leasing had quite a few 361's. Centre Trucking had more than you could count. Furman Lumber had 2 of the nicest K361s, as you said, Lopez I think had the most. Terry Lindstedt ran all Brockways, there are still a few of his old ones kicking around( I have one ), Bruce Armstrong has some also and was running a H360 until about two years ago. Where are you from Al? Do I know you?
Mike
Mike Pacitto
Chelmsford, Mass.
Mike Pacitto

Postby paulgcgpr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 am

Hey Mike, Speaking of Watertown Trucking; someone once told me they put stuff in the stacks (hacksaw blades) to make that notable rattle when they used the jakes. True? It was then and still is now hard for me to believe but they did have a very different sound.
paulgcgpr

Postby Iceslider » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Mike,yes you do know me,I came down when you did that Hyster a few years ago.I forgot about Mass. Leasing,my friend Ricky drove a few year old Brockway with a 1674 in it when he got his license in 1975.Didn't Lindstadt have one with a CAT in it,it sure sounded like one.I can remember most of those oil guys when I was a young kid,the Park Ave bridge on Rte 2 was a great viewing spot in the mid '70's.
Iceslider

Postby Mike Pacitto » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Al,
I thought it was you, I think still have your Hyster manual. That machine would still be in pieces if you didnt help us out! I go by your garage quite often, I will have to stop in. Terry had one H 360 he bought new, Bruce Armstrong drove it. I think he might have bought a used one also. Bruce has those two along with an old Watertown and O&G H 360's. Terry had quite a collection of Brockways, over 20 in the yard that I counted, Clay Derick has pictures and serial #'s all them all . After Terry passed away his family sold off everything.
Paul, I dont know about the muffler story, or I cant remember. I do remember that Riker made a muffler that was like a glass pack that was the hot setup for the 318's. Some guys would open the mufflers up, take the guts out and weld them back up. Do you remember Ralph Fiorillo's blue 361 with the 318, that would rattle the windows in your house pulling 9,000 gallons of heating oil.
Mike
Mike Pacitto
Chelmsford, Mass.
Mike Pacitto

Postby Iceslider » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:53 am

Mike,funny you mention Fiorillo's truck.A couple of weeks ago I did rods and mains for Chuck, [whose dad hauled gasoline and was a registry cop] and he was reminiscing about when he drove that truck.Speaking of Waltham,how could I have forgot Sorabella Box Co of N.E. Shame on me,I even did work for them,just after they sold the last of the tractors.Didn't Berman's Express have them also?I seem to remember John Forte mentioning them,I do remember the Super liner they had,that ran Binghamton to Medford,in the 1980's.

Iceslider

Postby Mike Pacitto » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi Al, I was going to mention Joe Casella, but I suffer from CRS ( cant remember s%$t ). Joe was a great guy, I did some work on his Autocar and Mack when he had his own trucks. I almost bought a Sorabella 358 that Broadway Charlie had many years ago. Remember C. Malone, another Brockway owner from Waltham. Lenza oil and Port oil had Huskiteers ( 500 series ) . I am starting to get dizzy! Bermans had 400 series with 318's pulling turnpike doubles in the 70's and early 80's. John Forte was a great guy, he told me about a job at Bermans in Medford when I was his boss at B&D. He knew everybody, I didn't take the job, but he did, before he went to the Town of Belmont.
Mike
Mike Pacitto
Chelmsford, Mass.
Mike Pacitto

Postby Screamin DD » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 pm

[quote="Screamin DD"]N.C. Purdie had a small terminal in Flint N.Y.( Halfway between Geneva and Canandaguia on 5&20). When I remember them they had 359's with 8V-71 Detroits, and 743 and maybe some 855 block Cummins. They also had International Fleetstars w/cummins. They were very nice, Until Howards express bought them out. Somewhere there are pics of the 359's out there. I have to ask a friend of mine ( Bill Clyde who work for them and then retired from Howards) if he has any. This was taken @ Flint N.Y. Looking out @ 5&20 /quote]
scan0038.jpg
Scan50A.jpg
Here is a pic of one of the K359's. It only took 2 years for me to upload it. Well better late than never
Attachments
359purdie.jpg
Last edited by Screamin DD on Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KYLE
Screamin DD

Brockway fleets

Postby Sled Dog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Two fleets in the Capital District (Albany area) ran all Brockway fleets at one time. Grand Union super markets ran all single axles in the 200 series and later all N361T. My ex father in law drove for GU and they ran them into the ground. They were beyond my desire to restore.

Valente Sand and Gravel ran an all Brockway fleet after they sold their early Internationals. They were long wheelbase 361's with 1674 Cats. Joe Valente told me lift axles got hung up off road and he paid a certain amount of overweight tickets each month which was less than dealing with the lift axles. He had at least one 762 that was used as a tractor. Both businesses are gone.
Sled Dog

Postby H762TL » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Sled Dog wrote:Two fleets in the Capital District (Albany area) ran all Brockway fleets at one time. Grand Union super markets ran all single axles in the 200 series and later all N361T. My ex father in law drove for GU and they ran them into the ground. They were beyond my desire to restore.

Valente Sand and Gravel ran an all Brockway fleet after they sold their early Internationals. They were long wheelbase 361's with 1674 Cats. Joe Valente told me lift axles got hung up off road and he paid a certain amount of overweight tickets each month which was less than dealing with the lift axles. He had at least one 762 that was used as a tractor. Both businesses are gone.

The 257 ex GU that we have isnt in bad shape, Bil Craib in Berlin has a Valente 361 Dump, abd Stan Bradley has the 762 that Valente had
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby Screamin DD » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:41 pm

A couple from Ithaca Delivery
Scan43.jpg
Scan38.jpg
KYLE
Screamin DD

PreviousNext