E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:30 am

In the meantime I sent the heater core out to Cicioni’s in Hazleton and they were able to have a new core made for it. This is very similar to how an older radiator was constructed with a top and bottom soldered ‘tank’. It took some time for them to have someone fabricate the core but at the end of the day they did a great job on it. So here is the new box, the new core and the grill…

My side bends came out great but the middle bend wound up making the box too wide, so I wound up sectioning an 1/8” out of the top and welding it back together…

Then I moved on to the rear of the box. I cut another piece of 18 guage, made the bottom bend and drilled some holes in it so that I could plug weld it to the main box…

I was also able to get a new blower motor from Napa as well… I saved the box from the motor I bought for the 155W so I already had the part number and Napa had them in stock in the Delaware

And here is everything trial fit together... For the front cover, I had already sandblasted and primed in years ago when I picked the best of the two for the 155W. This one was rusted in the bottom corner and I was able to fix it by putting a piece of copper behind the holes and setting the mig on the lowest setting. I still need to work on it but you get the idea…

Stay tuned for more info on the door panels…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 am

Over the past two weeks we also worked on the door panels. As I mentioned before, we wound up making two new interior door panels. Now that the door panels were cut, bent and fit into place, I need to work on the interior door release mechanisms. Since we were using bear claw latches, I needed to make something that would pull on the latch, just like the ones I made for the 155W. So I found a set of ’65 GM splined door mechanisms on eBay for a few bucks. Here they are along with the square shafts I removed from the ’54 148W factory latches (which are the same as the original 361 latches)…

Then I drilled out the factory spots welds on the GM parts and removed the splined shafts and compared the two…

So I wound up cutting both of them and using the top square part from the Brockway stuff and the bottom round part from the GM stuff. I turned them in the lathe to the correct length and then welded them back together…

Now that these were done I dug out the ’54 latch plates and cut of the factory latch section. I needed to reuse the front sections…

Then with a little bit of work I drilled a larger hole for the GM part, added a 1” tab and then flush welded (3) 1/4" studs to each one. And here is what we wound up with…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:30 am

My Dad had also talked about adding some type of grab handle to the inside of the door. I had a set of mid ‘60’s GM handles that we looked at but at the end of the day we decided on adding another set of the chrome cab handles…

I wanted some ‘structure’ behind each handle so I mounted them in line with the factory latch plates that I modified. I drilled the 4 holes and then welded nuts to the latch plates…

And here is the finished product… you can see that I also cut the square hole for the GM style power window switch as well…

I also need a way to fasten the power window track to the sheet metal door panel. I need to make some 5/8” thick spacers, so I wound up using the steering column shaft that I used to make the new column for the 20” steering wheel. I need a total of 6 spacers, 3 per side…

Once they were done I welded them to the back side of the panels…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:30 am

They we moved on to the linkages to operate the bear claws. I just used a piece of 1/4" rod and drilled them for small cotter pins. I had to make a few bends to clear the spacers but everything worked out very well…

Then the last piece we needed to make for the door panels was the angle center supports. I started with some 3/4" x 1/8” angle and had to do some trimming to clear the power window motor brackets. I also wound up welding these to the factory latch plates and they really stiffen the door panel…

Instead of covering the sheet metal with the fabric, I decided to cut a piece of 1/4" luan to cover the sheet metals. This is so much easier to work with since you can staple the fabric, etc… So we started off with cutting two pieces and radiusing the corners…

Then we C clamped the wood to the sheet metal and drilled all the holes…

After all the holes were drilled, we trial fi the wood on the doors…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 am

I still needed to radius the spot where the bear claw pins go, so I cut a sample piece to see how easy it would be to cover with vinyl. I tried a couple different radius’ and settled on 1-1/8”…

Then this past Saturday we started covering the wood with the two tone vinyl patterns I made a few weeks back. Just before I pulled out the staple gun, I looked out the garage door window and saw this bear go down my driveway. So I ran outside and grabbed a few pics…

And then we started working with the material…

And just like the kick panels I had to cut the backer vinyl and foam…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:32 am

Once that was cut, I covered the top with the 1/8” foam double up (to match the 1/4" foam I used for the lower 4” pleats. I also cut out the patterns for the grab handle, door handle and power window switch. I cut these about 1/4" larger in size…

And then after a ton of pulling and stapling, this is what we wound up with…

And then we finally trial fit the panels! I need to installed the spring loaded escutcheon for the door handles but I may have to extend the square shaft a 1/4" or so…

So that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 am

Tom - you have brought the 361 into the modern era! Let's just say that would be what you could get from the 2013 Brockway catalog! Looks great!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby paulgcgpr » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 pm

I guess that guy kept hearing bear claw this and bear claw that so he wanted to see if you were looking for donations.
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Thanks for the comments Stan & Paul!!!

Well we are just about done with the interior with only a handful of things left to do… Now that the door panels are done, I wanted to finish the doors so we moved onto the strips that hold the weather stripping to the bottom of the door. I used 1/8” x 1” SS for the 155W so I decided to use the same for the 361. I had bought a piece a while back from McMaster Carr so we dug it out, cut it to length and drilled the mounting holes. In the background you can see the factory weather stripping. This came from our friend Russ. I have bought ‘bulb seal’ from McMaster a few years back but it’s slightly smaller in diameter and much more dense. So it was an easy decision to use the pieces from Russ!

I hit the SS with some 220 and the 400 sandpaper on the DA and then gave it a light polish with the buffing wheel. So we cut the rubber to length and trial fit it on the bottom of the doors…

Then we moved back to the heater! Here is the heater along with the bracket I made to mount it to the bottom of the dash.

I wanted to make installing the heater ‘easy’ so here is what I came up with… I started by installing my bracket up under the dash and then marking the location of the heater box. Once the location was marked, I drilled two mounting holes and then bolted the bracket to the box…

Then I had to drill the center hole through the bracket. The original 1954 Evans heater didn’t have this but my 1955 Evans heater did. It’s actually for the dimple in the top of the blower motor. This is required to actually fit the blower motor into the housing…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Then here comes the interesting part. I didn’t have room for the defroster hose section with the flap. And besides it was pretty thin… So I dug out a coupler for 1-7/8” ID exhaust tubing, which happened to be exactly 2” OD.

Then I drilled (2) 2” holes through both my mounting bracket and the heater box…

Then I drilled 2 extra mounting holes (for a total of 4), welded 3/4" long bolts to the mounting plate, cut the exhaust coupler in half and then welded the two pieces to the mounting bracket…

So my idea is to take the mounting bracket, bolt it under the dash and slip the (2) defroster ducts over the exhaust tubing. Then I could just set the heater in place using the (4) welded studs to line it up. Easy enough???

So now that I had that figured out, I moved on to the next task, making a flap to control the defroster! So I started with some 3/16” round stock and some cardboard…

Then I bent the 3/16” rod, used some 3/16” brake tubing and made a flap from sheetmetal…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:01 pm

After making the parts for the flap, we used a new choke cable to operate the flap. I had to shorten it and them ‘wrap’ the end. So we used another piece of 3/16” rod with a 90” bend and a nut to help make the ‘wrap’…

After that we bolted the cable in place with (2) line clamps…

And then bolted the box in place (finally!!!)

And here is a better look at our defroster flap… first closed…

And then open…

I have some 1/8” self-adhesive foam I will stick to the bottom of the flap after it’s painted but you get the idea. Then we slid the cover in place…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 pm

The last thing we did this weekend was finish up the CB install. The original Connex radio I mentioned a while back wouldn’t transmit and I did want to chase good money after bad trying to fix it, so I scored a Cobra off of eBay along with a SS case. The Connex mounting bracket it too wide 3/4” so we decided to make a new one from some leftover SS from the fuel tank straps…

And after some cutting, drilling and bending this is what we wound up with…

And here is the final install with a chrome RoadKing mic…

So that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Scranton 761 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:25 pm

I hate to clog up this post, but......
67848 hits and counting!!
I think that says it all! Amazing work!
Thank you for taking the time to educate us,
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Neat Hot Rod Tom!! Can't wait for Cortland so I can see it in person!! Beautiful truck.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby paulgcgpr » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 am

The old idiom: "leave no stone upturned" comes to mind when it comes to this build. I can't wait to hear it running through that "muffler."
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments... Here is a quick update...

We have been tying up some loose ends on the truck over the past 2 weeks so I don't have anything to share 'picture worthy', but yesterday it was finally warm and the sun was shining so we gave the truck a bath and I had my Dad do a 'drive by' :)

http://youtu.be/ksE-5VS7LHo
oldspwr

Postby Brocky » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:42 pm

Tom and Tomcat

Absolutely Fantastic!!!! I could see the BIG SMILE on Tom Sr's face all the way down here in Rebel Territory!!!

Brocky
Brocky

Postby huskidrive 359 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Sounds great Tom!
huskidrive 359

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 pm

I'm sittin here with a big grin on my face just watchin him go by!!

Great!!

Thanks

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby paulgcgpr » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:14 am

I like how Tomcat gives a little blast of the horns to let know he's coming. Like you couldn't tell from a mile away anyway! Sounds nice!
paulgcgpr

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion