E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby ak huskey 69 359 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Great Job guys the truck looks great :mrgreen: ? thou what are you going to do now with all of your free time now that the E361 is almost done ? hope fully you guys have another one hiding up your sleeve :D .We've all enjoyed your posts .They've been very helpful to a lot of us . Thanks for taken the time to post the progress of this truck .
If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch ! : )

Adam K 1969 359 resto project
ak huskey 69 359

Postby STRETCH » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Emery..Emery... why would you think that I would say something like that???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

To the :D "TEAM MILLARD"" :D fantastic work!! I just went by your place yesterday. I should have detoured.

You have a wonderful unit there, and deserve all the compliments. You have shared the whole experience with all of us. I for one can say, that I am honored to be friends with this wonderful family, and I am grateful for having you as part of the Brockway organization .

Thanks , guys and gals!

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:58 pm

Ok it’s time for a long overdue update…

We have been working steady on the truck but have also spent some time on my ’26 Model T as well. Now that winter is here and we can’t drive the truck, we have a little room to breathe… And for those interested, more on the Model T later :)

When we last left off we installed the power windows on the doors. Now that the windows were done (with the exception of the wiring), I figured I would move on to the door panels. I thought about using the original ones, but there were cracked in a few spots and needed to be re-worked where the new latches were installed. So I decided to put them off to the side and make a set of new ones. So I stopped at Nivert’s in Throop and picked up a 4x8 sheet of 18 gauge sheet metal…

Since my shear is only 3’ long, I had them shear it to the correct width on the long side. Then I was able to shear two pieces and bend them in the brake…

After taking a handful of measurements, we marked the new panel, drilled the mounting holes and trial fit it on the door. For these panels I decided to used 1/4x20 button head bolts in lieu of sheetmetal screws. So I picked up the 1/4x20 J clips at Napa…

Then I figured I better work on the linkage to operate the bear claw latches with the existing handles. So I dug out the handles that we had re-chromed for my Dad a few years back and started thinking about the design of the latch. I knew I needed the square shaft pieces from the existing door panels and I didn’t want to use the original ones (they are still in great shape), so I decided to use the pieces from one of our parts trucks, a 1954 148W…

So we carefully dissembled the factory latches so that we could salvage these parts…

Then using some 1”x1/8” angle, I welded an extension onto the piece in the previous pic and welded two nuts on for mounting purposes…

And here is what we wound up with… The spring on the top brings it back to its ‘rest’ position. The ‘C’ clamped piece is something I also tacked on to use with the factory interior handle. So far the doors really close well with minimal effort and we are pretty happy with them…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:02 pm

I may have mentioned this previously but for the interior my Dad found a 1950 Peterbilt 350 iron nose on the 10-4 website that he really liked… It was the cover truck on the December 2011 issue and called “Rare Perfection”. This truck is really well done and a real clean piece…

He especially liked the two tone interior, so this was our inspiration for the Brockway. We already had new tan Bostrom seats, so we were halfway there (or so we thought!)

So over the holiday we picked up two sheets of luan as the basis for our interior…

And after cutting and marking the first piece for the rear of the cab, we trial fit it into the cab…

Then we cut out the holes for the back window and map pockets. I actually found the original piece we cut out of the 155W panel for the back window so this helped speed things along…

For Christmas we gave my Dad a set of Polk Audio 3 way 6x9’s along with a set of 1 1/2" deep extension rings. The speakers are fairly shallow at 3 3/16” deep but with the 1/2" of insulation I added to the back of the cab, space was at a premium…

After the holes were cut for the speakers, we trial fit it again…

More to follow….
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:04 pm

My brother Jason stopped by to visit. Jason is often mentioned but rarely seen so we quickly put him to work and asked him to help us roll out the carpet. I found this carpet online and ordered some color samples before selecting which one we wanted…

After rolling it out we realized it wasn’t cut square so we had to straighten it out…

And here is our first trial pic of ‘installing the new car smell’…

I wanted to make ‘side pieces’ that would fit next to the rear panel so I cut four pieces with the table saw…

It’s hard to explain so the picture below shows where they will be installed. I made a separate top and bottom piece since it will be easier for me to upholster them…

And then after that I dug out the two shades of tan material and the foam. The vinyl came from Joann’s Fabrics and the foam came from eBay. It’s 1/8” closed cell high density that’s used on pool tables. ..

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Then we started covering the pieces we just made… You can see here that I cut the back piece in 2 since it makes it easier to install (especially once the seats are in place) and it helps with our two tone…

And after lots of cutting and stapling…

And here are both the top and bottom pieces done…

Then I moved on to the side pieces…

And covered those as well…

And then installed them…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:10 pm

Then we went back to work cutting patterns for the headliner. I wanted to make luan side pieces just like the 155W so I dug out one of the original ones for a pattern which was in pretty tired shape…

So with the help of some Gorilla tape, I pieced it back together so I could use it to trace the pattern…

Then we cut both the side pieces along with the front piece that will cover the package tray and go around the CB…

While we were working on these pieces I was trying to figure out how I was going to transition the edges of the carpet at the doors. I thought about the GM Fisher piece that Tony used on his 358, and then I thought about bending a piece of polished stainless. Then after a google search I found this pic where a guy covers residential carpet edge moulding with vinyl…

I liked this idea (since I was worried about the SS getting scratched) so I decided to make my own from scratch. With the carpet and Dynaliner I am about 1/2” off of the floor so I bent two pieces of 16 gauge, 1/2" tall, 1” wide with a small bend down at 3/8” in…

Since I used 3/16” C channel for the floor side pieces, I decided to drill and tap holes for 6/32 machine screws instead of just using sheet metal screws…

More on this later…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Then this past weekend, after we were happy with how the carpet fit, we started punching holes in the carpet for the seatbelts and seat risers. We also made some 1/2" thick spaces out of 1” round stock to put under the carpet (you can see one of them in the pic)… I didn’t want the carpet to ‘pucker’ or start pulling once we started tightening things down, so the spacers really worked out well…

And then we installed the seatbelts along with the jump straps…

And then finally the seats, along with the fire extinguisher!!! And you can also see the edge moulding installed after we covered it in vinyl…

I still need to finish the pass side…

And for the top of the back panel we added a pair of coat hooks (for my Dad’s Roadway jackets!!!)

And that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby paulgcgpr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Do they make two-tone tan Roadway coats?

I probably would fallen back to "good enough to get it done" after all this time but you guys have kept that level of excellence and that is amazing.
paulgcgpr

Postby john gott » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Just absolutely amazing.

John G
john gott

Postby Junkmandan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 am

You guys have been so creative with your custom ideas, then followed your dreams to make it happen ! Outstanding ideas and your skills.

What makes you think your dad will enjoy those radio speakers plus the CB chatter above the drone of that 6-71? I think that radio will just take up space in the cab as pop listens to the compliments on the CB.
Junkmandan

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments...

For the headliner we decided to go with 4” pleats that will eventually match the door panels. Due to the size of the headliner I decided to have a local upholstery shop sew the pleats in. My machine isn’t much bigger than a residential machine and with such a small throat it’s hard to sew anything that large. So a week ago I dropped off my material and on Friday they called to say it was ready…

To fasten it to the rear of the cab I decided to wrap the bottom piece in a piece of 1/8” x 1” aluminum. So we cut off some of the 1/2" foam and drill the mounting holes in the aluminum to match the factory holes in the cab…

Then we glued the aluminum and clamped it overnight and this is what we wound up with…

When we were done with the headliner I moved onto the side pieces…

And then we trial fit the headliner. I realized I needed more support to keep it up between the center bow and the side pieces so I cut (3) 1/16” x 1” aluminum strips the lengths of the headliner…

And then made some 1” slits in the fabric and slid the aluminum between the pleats, in between the fabric and the foam… You can see here that they only stick out about 1” on both sides and you won’t see these once the side pieces are installed…

And then we spent some time on the front piece where the CB is located. On my 155W I used an ID tag that came in a ’54 parts truck we had so I wanted to do something similar with this one. I found a neat ‘Brockway Patent’ tag that came on a seat base from a ’50 260XW so I decided to use that…

And then after that we installed the headliner, the side pieces and the CB… So far so good!

oldspwr

Postby Brocky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 pm

Simply Amazing!!!! Ya'all do fantastic work. Thanks for sharing all the small details..

Brocky
Brocky

Postby oldspwr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:43 pm

When we last left off, we just finished installing the headliner… Things have been busy but we have managed to make some more progress on the interior. I spent the last week in my basement with my sewing machine but I’ll get to that in a minute…

I know 361’s technically don’t have a dog house, but the that’s what I’m calling the recess in the firewall. So to cover the doghouse, I used some luan and some furring strips to make a cover. The furring strips are only 3/4" wide so I’m not really losing much space in the cab. So here is what I started with…

There are several angles going on here so we had to make several cuts with the table saw to make everything work. After the first angle was cut…

And then after a few more angles, the piece was done. In this picture it wasn’t pushed up all the way but you get the idea…

Then we moved on to the kick panels. I had already drilled and tapped 8/32 mounting holes long before the cab was painted so what was a big help. I started with a pattern for the driver side…

And then made one for the passenger side….

Using the patterns I cut the pieces out of luan, drill the mounting holes and then trial fit both sides. Sorry for the dark pics…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Then I moved into the basement and dug out my Thompson walking foot sewing machine… I did take a night or two just to practice on a few pieces. I was having issues with my thread spacing being out of whack. Sometimes the spacing would be perfect and other times the stiches would be piled on top of one another. So after taking a closer look at the machine, I realized the adjustment for the walking foot was loose and not advancing the fabric forward like it should. So after tightening that, everything seemed to work ok…

To get some definition in my pleats, I would up using to 1/4" foam with some other vinyl behind it. The threads would pull right into the foam so the pleats were nothing more that stiches on flat fabric. I had a few years of bright red marine grade vinyl left over from years ago so I used that as a backer. So in reality I sandwiched my foam…

I couldn’t find any kind of pencil, grease pencil, etc. that would make a mark on this vinyl in order to make the pleats. So I wound up using a ball point bent on the back of the bright red vinyl which worked out perfectly…

And then I began sewing the pleats, very slowly to keep them straight. I found some videos on youtube by a group called ‘Youngguns’ which offered a lot of pointers, etc for sewing interiors.

Since we were two toning the door panels, I needed to make some welting as well. So I started with some 1 1/2" wide strips on the lighter tan along with some weed wacker cord. Instead of just sewing it together, I decided to glue it first. So I drew a line in the middle, sprayed some glue on it, waiting five minutes and then started folding it over…

After I had the entire length done, I used a piece of flat billed vice grips to tights the ‘bead’ up. This worked out really well…

More to follow in a day or so…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:11 am

Once the welting was done I needed to sew it to the top piece of vinyl. So I held it in place with some binder clips and then used a regular paper stapler…

The staples held it in place while I sewed it, and then I was able to remove the staples… Not too bad…

And then I went ahead and sewed the lower pleated sections to the upper sections. And finally both sides are done!

Then I moved on to the kick panels. My lower dash panel is 18” off of the floor, so I decided to use 18” as the break point between the upper and lower vinyl’s. Then I realized the passenger side is taller that the driver side due to the heater, so I had to two-tone that piece also. So I started with this…

And then very carefully used a razor blade to trim the backer vinyl and padding out. I only wanted to fold over the top layer of vinyl, not the foam and backer vinyl as well since it would be too bulky…

And here is what I wound up with…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:12 am

Then I moved onto the ‘dog house’… I started with cutting out enough vinyl to cover it…

And then I had to notch it for the corner on the pass side…

After I sewed the corner seam, I laid the vinyl over the doghouse and stared stapling…

And here is what I wound up with…

I did set it in the truck to see what it would look like… It needs to be pushed up further and screwed in place but you get the idea…

That’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby paulgcgpr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:16 am

Guys, great work as usual and thanks for details on both the research and execution.
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 am

Thanks for everyones comments, we appreciate them!

One of the last things we needed to wrap up with the truck was the heater. Our truck originally had the large heater that went almost clear to the floor and was made up of a dozen pieces or so. So after much thought we decided to use the smaller Evans heater like the one in my 155W. The box is approx.. 8”x8”x8” with the same size heater core and in my opinion would just work better. So I removed the original heater from our ’54 parts truck to see how it would work…

Unfortunately the windshield was knocked out of this truck years ago so the interior has seen lots of water. So the heater was actually pretty rusty…

After taking it apart, I lightly sandblasted it and realized it was pretty thin in some spots…

And the heater core was pretty tired also…

I know I could have found another Evans heater box, but I figured I would try to make a new one. I dug out some 18 gauge left over from the door panels and cut a piece to size and then trimmed the one size to compensate for the bends…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 am

Then we bent the long side in the brake…

And then came the hard part… I had to figure out how to bend the correct radius for the box. So using some 1/2” round stock and a piece of 1/8” plate, I made a jig to help keep the bends consistent…

We used the brake to make the bends and my Dad held pressure on the fingers while I made the bend…

And here are the first two bends…

Then we finished the remaining bends and set the box off to the side. I also needed to make a grill for the bottom of the box so I dug out the SS grill I bought out of a junkyard from a 379 Pete . I used this piece for the grill in the 155W as well as the heater grill in the 155W…

More to follow…
oldspwr

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion