E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:37 am

Well we had a pretty decent week of progress on the truck… If you remember a while back I asked a question about getting the truck hand lettered instead of vinyl. I received a lot of replies all of which were helpful. I wound up talking to Dennis Smith of Smith Lettering after finding his website through a Google search. So I sent Dennis some pics of the 155W and explained that I wanted our logo duplicated by hand as well as having the truck striped. So Dennis made the trip up from Hampton NJ Wednesday morning. It was at that time he mentioned he did a good portion of Gary Mahan’s collection! So we went over what we would like done and asked for some advice on colors, etc. And within no time he started laying things out…

For the MILLARD letters, my 155W used engine turned vinyl, so we decided to go with white gold leaf, which is lighter and more silver than regular gold leaf…

After the gold leaf was done he moved on to striping the cab and hood…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:37 am

Dennis return on Thursday to finish the striping and clear the gold leaf…

And by the midafternoon he was done, so I grabbed a few pics of him and my Dad…

We also had him stripe the fenders as well…

The striping and lettering really looks great on the truck and we couldn’t be happier with it. Here is a close up of the door...

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:38 am

Then last night after work I decided to bolt the Farr on the truck. We also had Dennis stripe the Farr as well…

I had several sets of brackets to choose from to mount the Farr, but I decided to use the lighter weight ones that came from a later 361. The bracket that bolts to the cab had some large holes drill in it to reduce weight, and the 1/4" plate was aluminum as well as the piece that bolts to the front of the cowl…

And after lining everything up we trial fit the box…

It turns out I forgot to paint the brackets I made that T bolts fit into, so I couldn’t mount the SS prefilter on yet, so I’ll shoot those this weekend.

So that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby paulgcgpr » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am

We'd like an update on the installation of the roll-up door in Tomcat's den, so when it's done he can pull it right in and watch tv next to it.
Attachments
tomcats den.jpg
tomcats den.jpg (7.2 KiB) Viewed 12943 times
paulgcgpr

Postby STRETCH » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:12 pm

I don't mean to be critical of the beautiful job so far....but the dome light in the cab is a little out of place. :lol: :lol:

Looks GREAT guys!!!!
I also noticed the check off list hanging on the door as well, I don't have doors big enough for my check lists... :D

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby Scranton 761 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:48 pm

STRETCH wrote:I don't mean to be critical of the beautiful job so far....but the dome light in the cab is a little out of place. :lol: :lol:

Stretch, didn't you get the note? The Obama administration has declared energy wasting incandescent dome light bulbs illegal ! :lol:

Beautiful!!! Love the "Tomcat(s)" :!:
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 am

Well worth the wait!! Great lettering Tom and that SS cab skirt really sets it all off. I didn't see a beer spicket in TomCat's den picture though!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Turbo590 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm

SUPER SUPERB detailing/craftsmanship....I haven't commented lately....but what a wonderful work of art....so when are the fenders going on??

Kurt
Turbo590

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 pm

When we last left off the truck had just been lettered and striped and we mounted the Farr on the cab. One thing I did forget to paint was the new brackets I made to hold the T bars for the prefilter. So I mixed up little paint and shot them outside…

After waiting a few days we dug out the rest of the hardware for the Farr…

And then a few days later we finally were able to finish the Farr…

A few years ago I bought a set of the ratcheting hood props from Napa, but when I dug them out I realized they were too long. Napa doesn’t sell shorter ones so I decided to shorten them. In the meantime I dug out one of the original ones are found out they were made by Atwood, the same company that provided them for Corvettes for a number of years (which now means they are $$$)

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:37 pm

So using the original one for comparison I drilled out the rivets for the angle brackets, cut off a small section on each end and re-drilled new 5/16” mouting holes…

After I finished with the supports, I took a look at the brackets that bolt to the bottom of the hood and realized I had (2) passenger sides. So instead of trying to find a used one, I decided to make one. So I made a cardboard pattern of the pass side and then re-bent it in the opposite direction…

So I used a piece of 2” wide 1/8” flat stock and made a few bends in the vice…

Instead of using square nuts like the factory piece, I drilled (2) 9/16” holes and then pressed a 5/16x18 nut into each hole and then welded each side of the nut…

And here is the finished piece…

And then we trial fit it and it looks like we are good to go…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm

Then next things we worked on was the hood latches. I had sandblasted the original ones years ago and left them in the corner of the blast cabinet. I was able to find a set of chrome B model latches and realized with a little bit of modification I could make them work on the Brockway. The chrome is not 100% show chrome, I would say it’s similar to the flash chrome they used on the ‘Diesel’ emblems.

So here is the bottom half of the original latch compared to the chrome latch. You can see that the mounting piece is upside down…

So I drilled out the rivets, removed the mounting back and set them off to the side… I also removed the bumper stops (and it turns out that all 4 screws were cross threaded, so I had to cut the nuts with the Dremel…)

Now here are the two latches side by side. You can see that the Brockway latch has a short extension spot welded to it for the bumper stop…

To make the extension, I ordered a piece of 1/2" stainless 1/8” flatstock from McMaster and cut 4 pieces, drilled new holes to mount them and reinstalled the bumpers…

So using 10-32 machine screws, I bolted the extensions to the latches and here is what we wound up with…

To replace the original rivets we drilled out, we used 1/4” button head SS bolts with lock nuts, and then installed the latches on the truck. One more thing to cross off the list…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:40 pm

I know these are small things but I figured I would share them here regardless…

Last weekend I made a handful of brackets to finish things up under the hood.

My Dad wanted a ‘positive’ throttle stop so as not to create any unnecessary pressure on the governor, so I made a bracket using 3” angle iron and then a piece of 1” x 3/16” flatstop along with a carriage bolt. There was a flat spot with (2) 3/8” threaded holes on the Detroit so it worked out perfect…

And then a bracket for the engine shut off cable…

Then I made a small tab for the emergency stop…

And then a bracket to support the heater hoses along with the engine shut off cable. In this picture you can also see the brackets I made for the throttle return spring and the throttle lock cable…

One of the last brackets I needed to make was a support for the Jake clutch switch. I scored this NOS switch off of eBay and used a 2” piece of C channel to mount it (the C channel was left over from the fender brackets…)

And here is what I wound up with… Since it was 3/16” thick I was able to drill and tap it…

And even more to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

This this past week I decided to finish up the wiring for the front end. So I started by making a harness for the headlights, turn signals, parking lights, horn and bumper lights… Like I mentioned earlier, I bought all of my wire from Jegs since it was reasonable priced, they offered a ton of colors and it was made in the USA…

Last night I figured we would work on something easy and mount the front mudflaps. I picked up the flaps from Napa a number of years ago and didn’t realize there were an odd length, 20”. So I would up ordering the SS weights from Iowa 80 since they were the only place that had them. So we spent some time putting everything together (with the pieces we painted a few weeks back…)

And then we installed them (at least one more thing is crossed off of the list…)

Well that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:42 pm

That's great work Tom. Thanks for posting all the information, like the little "detail" brackets. Many people are inspired by your project, myself included. While working on my truck, I often find myself thinking "how would Tom do this" when fabricating a piece. You have made all of us work to a higher level!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Scranton 761 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Huskiedrive361 wrote:I often find myself thinking "how would Tom do this?" You have made all of us work to a higher level!

Ditto!
Even at work!
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby STRETCH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:08 pm

Stan...you hit it perfectly!

The Millard posts are one of the best reference materials out there.
Of course having the talent..and the tools to do the job is paramount here, but it definitely gives us great possibities no matter the skill sets of others.

I said it before...and I say it again." Thanks Millard's for taking the time to show and share what you guys are doing and how you did it.! "

It's always great to see the progress. :D

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby huskidrive 359 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:50 pm

I am so glad The Millards chose Brockway ! As always great work! Thanks, Paul
huskidrive 359

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:26 am

WWTD? (What would Tom do?) Those hood brackets are a nice piece of jewelry where what would otherwise be a distraction form a beautiful truck. Tom is one of my two best sources of inspiration the other being a buddy who builds 32 Fords. Builds the chassis from flat stock and is also super clever. He's close by and I can hang out there whereas Tom is (lucky for him) way up north and somewhat remote.
At any rate thanks for sharing! We all appreciate the detail.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Before I start with our next update, I just wanted to thank everyone for their humbling comments. We really appreciate them and are glad everyone is enjoying the build…

I keep getting sidetracked trying to get ready to install the front fenders, but progress is progress… I needed to make more room in the garage to bring the 761 in so I figured I would get the stainless rear fenders out of the way and install them. So using some 6x6’s we lined up the fender to see what it would look like…

We also dumped the air in the bags to make sure the fenders wouldn’t rub and once we were happy with the location we started marking the holes. These mount with 3/4" bolts. I have a 3/4" drill bit but am not too happy with the holes it drills, so I wound up using a Milwaukee hole saw. As you can see it cut a really clean hole through the Neway hanger, frame and inner crossmember…

One of my concerns was a gap between the Neway hanger and the frame. In the middle of the bracket there is a gap and it’s probably because of the way the bracket is cast and machined…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:31 pm

I was concerned that if I torqued the 3/4" bolt that I would crack the hanger or it would work itself loose after time. When I was at our local hardware store I found some thin shims that came in both 14 and 16 gauge. It turns out that one of each fit the gap perfectly… I had to file the one side flat to make them fit.

And here they are almost snuck into place…

The 2” diameter mounting pins are drilled and tapped for bolts but I was concerned that I would be able to sneak a 3” long bolt in behind the center brace of the crossmember…

So I came up with the idea of cutting the heads off of the bolts, threading them into the mounting pins and then use a lock washer and nut. So we cut the heads off of the 4 bolts and faced each cut in the lathe…

And here is the finished product…

More to follow…
oldspwr

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion