E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 am

Thanks for all of the comments guys, we really appreciate them!!!

Now that the cab is back on the frame we started installing the floor boards. I bought a thin roll of gasket material from McMaster and is only has adhesive on one side, so it works pretty well for the removable floor sections…

And after an hour or so all of the sections were back in place ready to go…

Then I started installing the Dynamat on the firewall. This takes some time but it really worth it in the long run. I wound up making quick cardboard patterns to help with the install…

And here is the firewall 99% complete…

Then I started installing 1/2" Dynaliner to try to further reduce the heat and sound from the Detroit…

Then we took a break and installed the rear cab lights and wiper arm shafts…

That’s it for now, more to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:07 am

Mike S. called earlier this week and said the fenders were ready to go so I grabbed Jennifer’s truck and loaded them in the back… With both seats folded down they just fit…

Since these are probably the last things to be installed on the truck, I decided to put them up on the lift out of harms way…

On Wednesday Mike called and said everything else was ready, so I went down with my truck and filled the back with a door, grill insert, Farr, etc… We had to be creative since I we ran out of room in the bed so one of the doors wound up in the back seat…

Last night my brother Jason stopped over and help my Dad and I put the doors on the truck. You can also see here that we installed the wiper motor the night before…

After both doors were on I grabbed a few more quick pics…

Well that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby H762TL » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 am

Wow, looking good!
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:07 am

Really coming together now Tom, looks great! Can't wait to see it (next year) Lots of wires and pipes yet to go.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby john gott » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:32 am

Tom;
As always after reviewing your posts, I am in awe and speechless.

John
john gott

Postby oldspwr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:11 pm

Here’s a quick teaser before the big show… we need to focus on getting the 155W and 761 ready now!!!

Last Friday night we decided to install the fiberglass grill insert. A while back I bought a stainless insert for a 379 Pete that was damaged. This is actually a replica of the insert they use in the 379X’s (I believe…) I got a great deal on this piece since it was installed and removed from a truck which was perfect for us since I was going to cut it up anyway. So after trimming it to fit and making sure all of the holes lined up right, I put it away in my basement. So we dug it out and picked up some new hardware and washers and fastened it to the insert…

And here is the front…

More on that later…

The next day we started on installed the power steering reservoir. I picked up some stainless hardware and my Dad polished the brackets and housing…

In the meantime the glass guy showed up and started installing the windshield (and here you can see the reservoir installed!)

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:12 pm

As usual, the corner pieces of glass took some time to install, and I was telling Jeff (the glass guy) about our friend Tony and the trouble he had installing the windshield in his 358…

But everything worked out ok and here he is installed the chrome lock strip…

And here is the finished product along with the newly installed SS and fiberglass insert…

After the windshield and rear window were done, we moved on to the wipers. I plumbed up air to the motor quick and we let the rebuilt motor make several passes and then parked it a few times so we could find the ‘average’ parking place. On a side note, I coated the inner shafts with grease to prevent rust and installed new rubber seals. McMaster also had the large nuts in stainless so we buffed them and installed those as well. They are called ‘half nuts’ and they comes in quantities of 5...

We finished up the weekend by installing the side vents and then finished up the Dynamat on the floor…

Well that’s it for now! Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:08 am

Looks Great! Tom. We're leaving tonight so we'll be in Early Friday Morning. Looking forward to seeing some new trucks this year!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:37 pm

Well after a busy weekend attending the big show we finally made our way back into the garage to work on the 361…

After the trip home on Sunday, I dug out the lower dash pieces and decided to woodgraim them. My original intent was to paint these red, but my Dad was content on the woodgrain (and reminded me on a weekly basis that these pieces should really be wood, but that’s ok with me :)

So with some help from Tommy we started covering them…

Less than an hour later we were done…

Then on Monday night we started wiring the dash. Jegs sells made in USA wire in 50’ rolls in just about every GM color available, so I ordered all the colors we needed. With my 155W, I used an aftermarket fuse box but for this truck I wanted to stick with the original circuit breaker layout, only using the color codes I am familiar with (GM, Painless, etc…) To help things along I drew up a wiring diagram that is similar to the original 361 but also uses some of the 700 series info as well (7 wire turn signal switch vs. 4 wire, 2 – 12 block junctions instead of only 1, etc…) So here is what I used for reference…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Pretty simple right??? So here is what we started with on Monday night…

Then Tuesday night…

Then Wednesday night…

Then Thursday night…

Then Friday night…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:41 pm

By Saturday afternoon we finally finished everything , so by Sunday morning the dash was finally ready to be installed…

We held it in place with a few bolts and then started working the welting in. I went to Joann’s fabrics and bought some marine grade tan vinyl, cut a 2” strip, and had my Mom sew a piece of weed wacker into it. Perfect dash welting…

It took some time, but everything finally lined up and it was starting to look like something…

And here is the finished product…

Now we are working on connecting the air lines under the dash and installed the steering column mount…

So that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:28 pm

I knew this was coming shortly as I saw it on facebook first a day or two ago. Looks great!(Does anything work?:-)

Nice work Tom looks nice and clean.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:06 am

Very nice! New wiring takes time, but well worth it in the long run. No problems!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Mike Pacitto » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:16 am

Great wiring job! After almost 40 years of working on poorly designed or poorly constructed or just plain hacked harnesses I really appreciate a fine wiring job!
Mike Pacitto
Chelmsford, Mass.
Mike Pacitto

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 am

"CONTRAST IS THE ESSENCE OF VISION"

[img]
wiring%20II.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
Wiring.jpg
wiring II.jpg
"Contrast is the essence of Vision"
wiring II.jpg (24.91 KiB) Viewed 13099 times
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks for everyones comments!

It’s been a while since I posted any progress pictures so I figured I better take some time and give everyone an update… We have been working steady on the truck since Cortland but it seems like we haven’t made much progress. The wiring seemed to take the most time, and after the dash was installed I decided to land all of the wires on the fire wall distribution block. The problem was that the old one was in tired shape to say the least…

So instead of only a 12 position connector, I decided to upgrade to 24 total using (2) 12’s positions. This is similar to the 700 series and I thought would work better for us. So I bought some aluminum on eBay (3” flatstock) and with some angle I had I made a new ‘landing’ block…

And here it is installed on the truck… I used some thin cardboard just to mark what each terminal was and this is temporary. The small 5 position strip on the left hand side is for the jake brake (buffer switch, clutch switch, power from dash switch and connection to the jakes)

And one at a time I started landing the wires… The ones on the inside of the strips are from inside the cab…

In the meantime I have been chasing some air leaks and could hear air coming from the splitter so I picked up a rebuild kit on eBay…

And with this assortment of o-rings, etcs I cleaned and rebuilt the splitter (range selector…)

After spending a weeks or so under the dash I decided to set the new steering column in place along with steering wheel, but first I replaced the tired isolators with new ones that Dane helped me out with…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:19 pm

I went to install the ‘tilt’ part and realized the hole in the cupped washer was at least a 1/2" in diameter and the bolt was only 3/8”. I didn’t want it floating around since I knew it would scratch the side of the mounting bracket up, so I found a thick washer that I believe came from a harmonic balancer on a small block Chevy and turned it fit under the cup washer…

And then we installed everything and set out steering wheel in place…

After that was done I spent some more time running wires out to the firewall and connecting the taillights, etc…

I also dug out the original aluminum air distribution ports and cleaned them up by sandblasting them and giving them a light coat of clear, and started working on the air lines under the dash, on the left side of the steering column…

So on Saturday we had Maddie’s 4th Birthday party outside at a local park and we froze… at least the weatherman was only 12 degrees off… But the kids had fun so everything was ok. Then yesterday we were back in the garage and I started thinking to myself, we could start this truck and drive it right out of here. So we cleaned everything out of the cab, cleaned around the outside of the truck, aired up the tanks and pulled it outside with the 4 wheeler…

And since 2004 this is the first time the truck has moved under its own power!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ich3v6YC ... re=mh_lolz

And that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby paulgcgpr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:44 pm

That's flipping awesome! Congratulations guys! And gals! Now if you can just slip a 110" mower deck under there, you'll have the yard done in no time at all.
paulgcgpr

Postby Scranton 761 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:06 pm

You can't watch that without smiling!!! :) Congratulations!!!
And........ Happy Birthday to Maddie!
Paul Polcha
Project E761L .... Taking the time to do it right!
Scranton 761

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:21 am

That's the one we've all been waiting for! (and worth every minute of the wait!) Beautiful!!!!Tomcat, Tom and Tommy!! One of a kind! A heartfelt ThankYou from an appreciative follower.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion