E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:42 pm

I have been on vacation over the holiday week so we were able to make some more progress on the Detroit...

I wanted to install new brass pipe plugs on the motor and stopped at Napa to pick some up. They were out of the 1/2" plugs so I took a quick look on eBay and found this assortment (40 total) for $20. Not bad since Napa wants a few bucks for each plug...

So my Dad started chasing a few of the holes in the air compressor...

After I installed the pipe plugs, we decided to install the oil pan... I had the outside of the pan sandblasted but only wire brushed the inside. This pan was fairly clean to begin with...

Before setting the pan in place, we chased all the 5/16" holes. I worked on one side while my Dad worked on the other. When we were done, we set the plan in place and started running the bolts in. One of them felt like it bottomed out early, so after installing the rest of the bolts I re-chased that particular hole. I was using a 1/4" ratchet to turn the tap and then all of a sudden SNAP... I broke the tap... (Of course this hole was blind since there was a boss above it to mount something.)

So I torqued the remaining bolts and then tried to remove the broken tap. I was able to move it a few degrees either way but it wasn't coming out. The motor was only 8" or so off of the ground and I had a hard time focusing on the broken piece. It was getting late (and we were running out of patience....) so we decided to revisit it in the morning. So that night I jumped online and after a quick Google search I discovered "Walton Tap Extractors". Sure enough McMaster Carr had them in stock so I ordered one. UPS dropped it off Wed. morning and 3 minutes later the broken piece was out!!! Believe me, this was the best $12 I spent all year!!!

Here is a better pic of everything...

With the final bolt now installed in the oil pan, we moved on to the oil filter. Our motor originally had a canister filter so I wanted to replace it with a spin on. I was able to locate on new Fram adapter on eBay for $25...

And here it is installed...

That's it for now, more to follow!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 pm

The next thing we moved on to was the brackets to mount the alternator...

The large spacers that are part of the alternator mounting bracket had 3/4" holes in them but the mounting bolts are 7/16". So I turned a few bushings to take up the extra space...

And here is one of them installed...

The truck originally came with a Leece Neville but it was in rough shape and one of the studs was spinning freely inside. So I decided to replace it with a Delco 21SI (the same one I used on the 155W)

I had either misplaced the original alternator spacer or it never had one to begin with, so I decided to make a new one from a piece of round stock I had...

And this is the finished product...

The alternator adjustment bracket only had a 7/16" wide slot and the Delco unit uses a 1/2" bolt, so using an end mill I opened up the slot in the bracket...

And finally here is the new alternator installed... Of course I will have to remove it to install the blower but at least it's out of the way for now...

This past Sunday I made a list of all the fittings I needed to plumb the water lines to the air compressor as well as the fuel lines to the primary & secondary fuel filters. So I ordered them Monday morning from Summit Racing. Fortunately they showed up with the UPS delivery on Wed. morning!

Then after several hours of jamming sharp little stainless steel wires in my fingers, I wound up with this!

Well that's it for now!
oldspwr

Postby Brockway Express » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:39 pm

My creaky knees snap and pop as I bend to pay homage.... :shock:

The work you boys do inspire us to try to do more...to try to be just one step better....

Seriously though....just AMAZING! Truly Amazing.... Thanks for sharing and in the process, teaching us a thing or two...

Question: My cont.6 cyl... can it be switched from that sock style filter to a better filter?
Brockway Express

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Not to highjack this post, but yes Bill your Continental can have a spin-on filter too. Email me an I explain. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Emery Johnston » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:57 pm

SWEEEEET Tom!! I just love those Army/Navy fittings. The manifold looks great too, hope it's hot coated while you had it off.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:56 am

We had made some more progress this past weekend so I figured I would post a quick update...

The weekend prior we made a few brackets to hold the fuel lines and water line. There were original brackets at one time but they were pretty crude. So I started with making a bracket to hold the two fuel lines that go from the fuel filters to the fuel pump. I used 1" x 1/8" angle aluminum...

I also made a small bracket to hold the water line that goes from the lower water neck to the air compressor. Originally here was a line clamp in the hole with a wire tire that pulled the water line towards it...

I also had to fabricate a plate that would push the fuel filters towards the rear of the engine. For whatever reason, when I straightened the original bracket, the check valve on the input side of the primary fuel filter was hitting the oil supply line to the air compressor. So I started with a 2" x 3/16" piece of flat stock and welded (2) 7/16" studs to it...

You can see the plate installed here... Moving the filters back 1" solved my clearance issue. I will remove and paint the bracket later...

Then this past Saturday we took a break from the Detroit and moved on to the radiator. I dug out the top tank to take a look at the filler neck...

You can see here that the filler neck is in rough shape. The two breather tubes as well as the overflow tube are either kinked, squished or bent!

Since the new tank (made by Taalman) does not have a filler neck, I started looking online for a new one. I wound up doing a search on the ATHS message board and the first link In found was for the Radiator Supply House. Sure enough I called them and they had a new neck for $5.00... It was UPS'd out last week so I should have it any day now. I'll let you know how I make out with it...

I then dug out the new core we bought from Ray several years ago.

It came straight from Modine as you can see on the shipping label here... From the date on the crate it was made on 1-22-87.

So after removing 30 of the strongest glue coated nails in the world, we removed the core. Then we decided to 'dry' fit everything. Fortunately everything lined up...

The original radiator was in very poor condition and the angle and straight assembly brakets were very rusty. In lieu of reusing the old ones, I decided to make new ones. Here is what we started with for patterns...

Based on my original pics, the rear of the radiator used the angle brackets top and bottom (1 1/4 x 3/16" x 19" long) while the front of the radiator used straight plates top and bottom (7/8" wide x 3/16" x 19" long). I decided to run angle brackets both front and rear. So I cut (4) pieces of angle as well as (4) short pieces of flat stock for the very ends.

The bolts that mount the tanks to the core are 3/8" but all the holes are 7/16". So I had my Dad start drilling all the brackets. He's smiling here because he's almost done!

And by the end of the day on Sunday this is what we wound up with...

We packed up a little early on Sunday to let Tommy enjoy his latest toy... A 120 Polaris... We put 10 miles on riding around my yard over the weekend :)

That's it for now!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:13 am

Here's a quick update on the 361... we have been working steady but progress is slow...

Last post I mentioned that I ordered a 90 degree filler neck from Radiator Supply House. I spoke with the guy twice, and each time said "do you have a 90 degree neck that's 1 3/4" in diameter? yes.. we have that... is it about 4" tall from the bottom of the tube to the top of the filler neck? yes... it is... does it have a 2 11/16" radiator cap? yes... it does..."

Well needless to say, what I received from UPS was the one on the left. Not even close...

So after shaking my head for a few minutes I decided to call Cicioni Radiator in Hazleton and talked to Jim Sullivan. He didn't have a 90 degree neck but he did order me the correct 2 11/16" brass filler neck (the one on the right.) So with that part in hand I ordered a 90" 1 3/4" mandrel bend from Columbia River Mandrel Bends. They specialize in parts to build headers, so I took some more measurements and ordered on with a 2 1/2" radius. So a few days later the part arrived and after cutting the bend...

This is what I wound up with (in comparison to the old one I cut off)...

The guy who welded our frame (Mike) is going to solder the filler neck to the bend for me and he is picking it up today.

Then I gathered the rest of the parts for the radiator, including the filler necks, block off plates and mounts. On a side note, I had misplaced my lower radiator neck. I searched high and low and couldn't find it. Stan offered to mail me one and I told him that the soon as he mailed it, I would probably find my original one. Well sure enough, 1 week after receiving Stan's package, guess what I found...

Then we moved on to the block off plates on both the upper and lower tanks. Our truck originally had shutters so the lower block off plate was drilled and tapped for a temp sensor. I couldn't believe how far off the mounting holes were drilled, so I decided to make a pair of new ones.

So after some cutting, grinding, filing and drilling, this is what I wound up with...

That's it for now, more to follow...
oldspwr

Postby rz761 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:25 pm

thats a good idea to convert the spin on oil filter. i didnt know they excisted. now you know what im buying for my 671 :) . do they have a conversion kit for a nh220? my cartridge filter is similar (sideways on the bottom front of motor) i looked a little bit but cant seem to find it. maybe get stan on the horn.

richie
rz761

Postby THEPATRIOT » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Amazing work,that will be a beauty when it's done!
THEPATRIOT

Postby oldspwr » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:06 am

Well I just got back from sledding up in Lowville, NY. We put about 500 miles on this trip and the trails were great. Unfortunately I didn't see any new Brockways on this trip...

So here is a quick update on our project...

The 1/2" radiator mounting studs were in rough shape (and one broke) so I decided to make a pair of new ones...

So I bought two 5 1/2" grade 8 bolts, cut the heads off of them, and threaded the ends 1/2 x 20...

After I lifted the radiator back up in the air, I discovered that the new tank mounting holes were actually 1/2 x 13 (course...), so I wound up making two new ones. I should have checked first, but all the other holes were fine thread. Then I realized I misplaced one of the spaces for the radiator mounts, and since I was tired of looking for misplaced parts (remember the lower radiator neck....) I decided to make two new ones. I'm not a machinist by any standard, but I do enjoy using the lathe and mill, so I try to use them whenever possible.

So I found a piece of round stock and started working on the spacers...

And here is what I wound up with...

Here is a pic of everything assembled... The polyurethane mounts came from Energy Suspension, and they are the same ones I used for the cab mounts on the 155W...

After I dry fit the new bushings to the radiator, I realized the 'L' mount was too close the bottom tanks...

Here is a better pic from underneath...

So I decided to trim a 1/4" off of the mount...

So I put everything back together and I had the extra clearance I wanted. We set the radiator on the frame and after tightening the mounts, I quickly realized they were too soft. So I need to come up with a harder bushing/mount...

That's it for now!

Tom
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Tom, Remember the protective silicon sheets I talked about from the powercompany?? Perfect
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby 776brock » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:41 pm

You ARE going to use a chrome or polished blower,Right?

Nick
776brock

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am

Ok, it's finally time to post some progress pics! We had a late night in the garage last night and figured it was time to start updating our progress!!!

At our last post we were still working on the radiator. After I set the radiator on the frame, I decided to start working on the grill shell mounting brackets and filler plates. I had 2 sets to choose from, and since both of them were fairly rough, I decided to use our original pieces.

The first part I worked on was the driver side filler piece. This is the piece you see when you look through the grill mesh, and it fills up the space were a larger radiator would fill. One of the cage nuts was rusted through...

So I cut out rusted part and welded a new piece in. I was able to reuse the cage nut.

The finished pic will follow later...

Then I moved on to the pass. side bracket that also holds the horns. For what ever reason someone had cut ours with a fire axe. Maybe for easier access to the bolts that fasten the hood hold downs?

So I wound up cutting a new piece of 16ga sheet metal and replacing the one whole side of it...

And here it is after I cut the large hole, drilled the mounting holes and welded the cage nut back on. The one next to it is a spare but it had lots of small swiss cheese holes...

So after I finished with that I decided to test fit all the brackets and install the grill shell. Remember that the last time this was together was several years ago so I needed to remind myself how everything fit...

And here is pic of the rear of the shell...

So when I was happy that everything fit well, I took it all apart again and did an inventory on all the parts I needed to get sandblasted...

More to follow...
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:53 am

If you remember I had to order a 1 3/4" mandrel bend in order to fabricate the radiator neck. For whatever reason, the new tank did not have a neck on it, only a short stub.

So after ordering the brass filler cap and cutting the mandrel bend, I had my buddies Uncle Mike braze it on for me (the same Uncle Mike who welded the frame!!!) Here is a pic of it after I lightly bead blasted it to remove the flux...

Then I took a saw to my shiny new tank and cut the stub off and ground the surface smooth!!!

After lining it up, I tacked it in place...

After I was happy with the alignment, I finished welding it on...

After it cooled down I took some 400 sandpaper and feathered the paint around it so it would be ready when I went to re-shoot it.

While I was working on the neck my Dad started working on the core. The core was NOS in the factory crate and only a few fins needed straightening. My Dad is using the fin rake I bought when we were working on the radiator for the 155W.

So to paint the core I bought (2) cans of Eastwood Radiator Gloss Black paint. This paint is fairly thin and made just for radiators.

They say 1 can will do a car radiator, and 2 cans just were enough for this core...

More to follow!!!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 pm

So this past Wednesday I dropped off all of the radiator parts at the sandblaster on my way to work. He had everything finished up Friday afternoon so my Dad went and picked them up.

I started getting everything hung up on the rack...

Then on Saturday we started scuffing the tanks that were going to get re-painted...

After getting everything ready to go I quickly realized I didn't have enough supplies... it turns out I was just about out of everything... So I decided to shoot 2 samples of red paint I had mixed.

I want to match the red on the 155W as close as possible and I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting the Dupont Hot Hues (too many headaches...) So I took a sample color chip as well as a sample piece from the actual truck and had the guy match them with his computers.

After looking around the garage for the right parts to paint, I found the spacers/shims for the Neway air ride torque arms. I had 8 of them so I figured I would shoot 4 and 4. So this is what I wound up with...

And here is a comparison of the 2 different colors along with a sample piece from the 155W. So which color looks closer to you?

Then on Monday I ran for supplies and was able to shoot everything last night... First we started with the self etching primer...

And then the sealer...

And then the base coat...

And finally the clear...

So that wraps it up for today. Hopefully we can start assembling the radiator this weekend. Then on to the frame!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Tom, great work again! I don't know anyone else that would bother to feather the radiator paint! (It's a radiator for God's sake!) You asked our opinion on the color match which looks good to me (Red is Red!) In my profession I have to match lots of colors (Hue, Value and Chroma) and what I've learned is that men are functionally color blind!! I always have at least two of the women in my "shop" choose the shade for a tooth restoration and I seldom redo anything for color. Here's a chance to get Momma involved in the Brockway and I guarantee she'll be better than you, TomCat and Tommy combined !

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Thanks for the updates Tom. Your work is excellent. As for a paint match, I would say the shim on the right looks to be a closer match. Left one has more orange tones. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby STRETCH » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Tom, I know I have said it before, but seeing your work and all the effort and time you put into it is FANTASTIC!

I am always checking out your posts, it really keeps me motivated to get my truck done!

Thanks for taking the time to document it for all of us to share.

Stretch
STRETCH

Postby huskidrive 359 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Excellent job Tom and Tom Sr tank repair is now in the how to manuel. Like Emery I can't help with the colors, I love the alum Budds!
huskidrive 359

Postby Double Dog » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Tom,
Finally catching up on the board! Looks like you and your dad are making some good progress!
Sorry about the tank with no neck. I did not pay attention to the fact that it was missing. From the pictures I see it looks like the neck was removed and the piece was welded on or they cut the neck off.
Thank you for the nice pictures and progress reports,the trucks looking good!!

Ray H
Ray Hildreth

N361TLY
F257T
B61T
W925
Double Dog

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion