E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby quadbox » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Nice. Joe D.
quadbox

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:07 am

Beautiful Tom! Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:49 am

Beautiful Tom!! (as expected) The only thing I'd have done differently is spend some time on the polishing wheel with the valve cover!! But it does look nice this way without being too ostentacious.Thanks for sharing!!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Emery...

Future plans call for a jake, and that will require a taller valve cover. When we do that I will send it on down to you for a full polish job!
oldspwr

Postby Mike Pacitto » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 am

Nice work Tom and Tom, your attention to detail is truly amazing. I see you have the starter all apart, did you find all the parts you need? If you have any problems send me an Email.
Mike
Mike Pacitto
Chelmsford, Mass.
Mike Pacitto

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 am

Tom, Happy to do it!! But don't wait, I can be pretty slow.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Brockway Express » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 am

Watching you guys put these truck "back" together is amazing...
Seeing you take them apart is mind numbing...

I feel like we get a glimmer of what it may have been like to get up early
in the morning and to go work at the plant on central ave....

New Brockways and the men who built them...all over again...

Great job guys, and thank you for sharing. :mrgreen:
Brockway Express

Postby oldspwr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Ok, here is a quick update from the past week...

I needed to make a gasket for the exhaust elbow so I stopped at Napa and picked up a sheet of this Felpro material. I was originally looking for the 'silver' gasket material, but the parts guy assured me this would work...

The material has a metal core so I wound up using a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut it. It worked fairly well... I did use a hole punch for the 1/2" mounting stud holes...

After we mounted the elbow to the manifold, my Dad gave everything one more coat of the Eastwood manifold paint. You have to wait a week between coats so it was good to go...

We then moved on to the starter. I did bead blast and paint all the parts and while I was reassembling it, I noticed that someone had scribed 9-19-1986 on the housing. I know the truck was taken out of service sometime around then, and all the parts inside looked good, including the brushes, bushings, etc...

Here is all the hardware we started with (along with the hardware to mount the exhaust manifold)...

And after a quick trip though the blast cabinet...

After painting the small parts, I chucked the armature up in the lathe and quickly cleaned it lightly with some emery cloth...

The ends to the main housings are fit with 'O' rings to keep out dirt, water, etc. and of course they were tired when we took the starter apart. So I had my Dad stop by the hardware store and pick up two new ones. They had a huge assortment of 'O' rings for pool filters and sure enough we were able to find the right one...

I also took Mike P.'s advice and bought a new solenoid. So after assembling the starter and installing the new solenoid, I set it off to the side and started off on something else...

That's it for now, more to follow!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Steve L. and his Dad were able to help me out with a new Fel Pro gasket set. Although the set comes with what looks like a 100 different pieces, it doesn't include the front or rear crankshaft seals due to so many different variations. The nice thing about Detroits is that just about everything has a 7 digit part number on it, and sure enough after Googling some of the numbers I was able to find a site that hard parts diagram blow ups. I wasn't going to change the front and rear seals since everything was fairly dry, but after my Dad asked me about a million times whether or not we should change them, I went ahead and bought them. (I realize it was the right thing to do but don't tell my Dad that!!!)

So I started with the front seal since it looked easier to change than the rear seal...

In the meantime I cleaned the front gears and prepped the gasket surface... You can see that I taped off the gasket surface before I painted the block...

And here is another pic after I installed the cover...

In another post I asked about the front rubber torsion mount for the front crankshaft cover. I was able to find it at the same place I ordered the bearings, for only $8... Stan helped me out with the part number for this...

And then last but not least I started installed the balancer...

We were only able to work on the motor for a few hours over the weekend due to a visit with Santa Claus and Tommy's day care Christmas Pageant (where they played the same 5 Christmas songs for over 2 hours), but by the end of the day on Sunday we had made some decent progress!

So that's it for now!
oldspwr

Postby BorinquenSpecial » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

Tom, I'm not a person of many words and don't know better to described, but your work is AMAZING!!!!!!
BorinquenSpecial

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Lookin' good Tom. Glad that part number worked for you. Believe me, you'll be glad you changed those seals, especially if you had to tear the transmission back out to change the rear one, and the front one can't be changed without pulling the radiator. Guess father knows best!! Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby STRETCH » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Tom,

When are you going to start looking for "book publishing rights", you have the making of a restoration best seller here!

Photos, owner commentary, great looking dedicated cast of characters... and starring one of our favorite Cortland based heros. You've got it all. :lol:

The other thought that came to mind as I look through your posts is.....remember those early model kits you use to build as a kid?.... when I see all those parts disassembled, cleaned, then primed and ready to paint, I can't help to think of some of those old AMT truck kits I built as a kid . Trying to make those Detroit Diesel engines just the right shade of blue/green.
(Althought I think you kit costs a little more. :lol: ) The attention to detail, the time it takes, putting it all together, then seeing it completed the way you wanted it. Makes it all worth the effort.

Fantastic work , that keeps us all inspired!!!!

Thanks again!

Stretch
STRETCH

Postby DetroitDiesel1271 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am

Tom, looks great! When you hang the exhaust manifold, make sure your tabs on the lower part of manifold are just ontop of the tabs on block, or about a knife blade above. Many people crack the ears off when aligning the manifold. Did the cooler go together ok?
DetroitDiesel1271

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 am

Tom, looking at some picks of parts hung to dry, if I hadn't visited your shop and know about the forklift, I'd swear that diesel long block is hanging from the paint rack!! Really enjoy the updates.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:35 pm

Stephen is right about installing the exhaust manifold, you can easily damage it if it's not positioned right. Also, the exhaust manifold mounting studs pass into the water-cooling jacket of the head. Make sure to use some sealant on the threads if you have had the studs out. This is a common source of leaking when the engine is cold. Keep up the pictures - we need the inspiration! Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby ChristianCustoms » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Emery Johnston wrote:Tom, looking at some picks of parts hung to dry, if I hadn't visited your shop and know about the forklift, I'd swear that diesel long block is hanging from the paint rack!! Really enjoy the updates.

Emery

HAHA i thought the exact same thing..I was like now that is impressive
ChristianCustoms

Postby oldspwr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:22 am

Thanks for everyone's comments!

This past Saturday we only spent a few hours on the Detroit but were able to finish up a few things. I started with trying to install the lower pulley. As luck would have it, the crank bolt is the same size as my 42B Continental, so I was able to use the tool I made to install the balancer on the Continental...

This was actually my second time at trying to install the pulley... The first first time I had the damper on backwards and I couldn't figure out why the pulley wouldn't go on all the way... So with some rags carefully placed behind the pulley I was able to remove it with the puller I made. (This time it came off a lot easier since I coated the shaft with oil)

Then we moved on to the oil cooler... I had it full of parts cleaner for a few days to clean it out so after draining it and blowing it out it was almost ready to go...

I forgot that the edge of the cooler was exposed, so I taped it off and gave it a quick coat of paint (Duplicolor spray bomb!)

And here is a pic of the housing for the oil cooler...

And here it is installed... I also dry fit the water pump, etc., just to make sure everything lined up...

Well that's it for now. we'll see how we make out this weekend. We still have to install the oil pan and then make a quick stand for storage. Right now I have it sitting on stacked 6x6's on the main oil pan rails...
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:06 am

Nice Tom, why not just hang it back on the paint rack?
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am

Cleanest Detroit I ever seen! Tom - how's the blower coming? Look's like you're about ready for it. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14 am

I'm not familiar with Detroits but judging from the numerous comments I assume Harley-Davidson supplies the gaskets for them or at least war surplus from Aviation radial engines!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion