E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 am

Tom, When you clear coat individual small parts like that, are you using a whole sprayer set up? or a Rattle Can?

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:28 am

Congratulations guys! What a special day for you all. Thanks for sharing as we all are anxious to see the truck on the road!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby huskidrive 359 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 pm

I just saw the link to the vidio of the maiden voyage its awesome!!! As is the 361 and all involved in the build.
huskidrive 359

Postby pat ardhiere » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

WOW!!! Beautiful!!! Love It!!!!!!!
Pat Archiere
pat ardhiere

Postby john gott » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:38 am

A very satisfying moment for all involved. Congratulations Tom and crew.

John G
john gott

Postby oldspwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:24 am

I’m glad to see everybody enjoyed the youtube video… I probably watched it a dozen times myself !!!

Emery, for the small parts like the aluminum air ports, I just use spray bomb clear like Duplicolor, etc. Just a light coat will prevent it from oxidizing and looking 'old' in a short amount of time.

So now that the truck is mobile I figured I better install the door latches. If you noticed in the video the doors were held shut with green masking tape. The bear claws came with plated steel pins, but I wanted stainless so I found these from Parr Automotive…

One of the mistakes I made on the 155W when I installed the bear claws was not installing a ‘striker’ plate behind the pin, so that when you make adjustments with the pin you do take the paint off. Originally I made a set from regular sheet metal but wound up making a set from some left over 2” wide flat stock from the fuel tank straps. I oval’d the holes for adjustment.

Then I installed the plates but used some very thin double face tape behind them so they wouldn’t move. We also installed the pins and adjusted the doors but now I have to make the mechanisms for the factory door handles to work the new latch. So stay tuned for that project…

After we finished the latches we dug the mirrors and mirror arms out of the basement. I had already ordered the SS hardware (acorn nuts, 1/4x28 bolts, etc) from McMaster Carr so all I had to do was polish them and make some gaskets…

Then we started installing the brackets…

And we able to finish both doors and install the 7” Delbar (HR-15) SS round mirrors as well…

So that’s another thing off of the list… More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:25 am

My Dad had talked about getting an original ‘Pull to Stop Engine’ cable that matched the ‘Water Control’ cable. So it turns out Richie had one in his collection of parts that was in nice condition. The only problem was that it was too short, by 2’. So I started thinking about how I could make it longer, possibly using a donor cable or something like that. So after searching eBay, I found a company called ‘Buyers Products’ that make both the engine shut off cable (R109) and a throttle lock cable (R108) for Macks. Finditparts had them cheaper online so I ordered a pair (my throttle lock cable is too short also…)

But I didn’t want to experiment with Richie’s cable, so I figured I would experiment with a broken Water Control cable I had… So this is what I started with…

The cable was tired but the chrome on the knob was in great shape. As you can see the inner core (.060”) was broke right at the end of the handle. So I started with cutting the crimped end off…

The using a 1/16” bit I drilled a new hole about 1/2" deep…

Then I cut the crimped end off of the brass tube…

And then cleaned both pieces on the wire brush…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 am

For a donor cable, I picked up a choke cable on eBay for a few bucks and then cut the handle off of it…

I thought about recrimping the .060” wire in the handle part but the crimper I had didn’t have enough sauce to make a tight crimp. I also thought about making a jig for the press but it you over crimp it and make it ‘out of round’ it won’t fit the tube anymore. So I decided to drill an tap the handle for (2) 6-32 set screws. So I started off by drilling (2) 7/64” holes…

And then tapped each hole…

And then fit both set screws. They were a little too long so I had to shorten them a bit but they worked well…

And then I filed the heads shortly so they were flush with the tube…

oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:29 am

Another eBay score was this set of dies for my wire crimpers. They are for some type of BNC connector and were only a few bucks and they worked perfectly…

And within a half hour I had a brand new Water Control cable!!!

Now that I was confident it the process we decided to tackle the Engine Stop cable…

And here is the donor cable, the Buyers Product R109. This cable has the plastic coating so I trimmed it off before I made the crimp into the brass tube.

And following the same procedure as the Water Control cable, we now have a new Engine Stop cable…

Well that’s it for now… I need to get one more batch of parts painted before it gets too cold to paint. I have to paint the brackets for the Farr air cleaner, the trolley valve and bracket, the brackets for the front fenders, and a handful of other small parts. So stay tuned for more progress!!!!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:28 pm

This past weekend was fairly busy and I was only able to get about 2 1/2 hours in the garage Saturday morning. So I started chipping away at the doors… I started with putting a layer of Dynamat down…

And then I decided to insulate them with Dynaliner. This is the same stuff I used on the firewall and roof but only 1/4" thick instead of 1/2". I thought the 1/2" would be too thick for the doors… This stuff is really easy to work with…

And here it is on the door…

Then on Sunday I decided to finish insulating the floor so that I could install a seat and go for another ride… So I cut the last few pieces I needed of the 1/2" material for the angle section of the floor…

After that was done I decided to dig out one of the seats. The one I was using is in my basement so I had the other one way up on the top shelf that we dug out…

We bought the pair of seats from Cook Bros was back in 2007 for my Dad’s Christmas present :)

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Before I set the seat in place I decided to fit the final piece of insulation on the floor. I know I sound like a spokesman for Dynamat, but I bought this piece of ‘Dynapad’ on eBay from a guy that had it in a roll, unlabeled… It is made for truck floors so I thought it would work best…

You can see here that it is layered and actually pretty heavy…

So we marked and cut all the holes for the shifter and seat bolts, etc. and set it in place…

By that time Joe D. stopped by for a visit and we decided to fire it up and drive it around the yard a few more times! Then Paul Polcha and his wife stopped for a visit and watched (and listened) to us drive it around some more…

So this week we are going to work on the truss rods again and hopefully put the hood on, so that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 am

Nice Tom!! You don't have to apologize for speaking highly of Dynamat, you're doing a service to the members by letting them know. I recently redid the upholstery in my 56 Chevy PU and went thru the whole cab with dynamat. You'd think you were riding in a Caddy now! I'm a believer. I've used it in a few other projects but no other is running at present.
(I have to lower the window now to hear the pipes!)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:22 pm

Emery - make sure you don't pass gas while sitting in the pickup, you'll pop an eardrum!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:20 am

NOW you tell me!! Great timing Stan.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:45 am

We decided to install the hood but the first thing we needed to do was install the cowl and grill lace. The early 100 and 200 series used cloth, our 361 and a few other 300 series grills we had used rubber and our 700 used cloth. I had originally used rubber on the 155W, but the rubber made it difficult to open the hood sometimes because it ‘grabbed’. When we changed the radiator out this summer we replaced the rubber with cloth from Restoration Specialties and that worked much better. So for this truck we decided to use cloth… One of the issues with cloth is that the ends fray so we put a few drops of super glue on the ends after they were cut to try to prevent this. So here is what we started with…

And using a small hole punch we marked and punched all the holes for the rivets and trial fit everything…

After the lace work was done, we worked on the truss rods again. Like I mentioned before, we were struggling with these and weren’t having much luck this time around either. After taking numerous measurements, it turns out the bracket on the upper radiator tank was closer to the tank than on the original tank, or the new upper tank is not as deep. Regardless, using some 3/16” flat stock I made an extension (the one on the bottom of the pic) and then realized the hole needed to be about 2” apart, so we made another one (the upper one)

After installing the extension, things were starting to line up better… The hood was 54 1/2" long and we were trying to get an even 55” between the grill and the cowl. Now that we were close, we dug the hood out of my basement. The ends of the original chrome hinge were in tired shape but otherwise it was in perfect shape. So I used the original 361 hinge on my 155W and wound up buying a new one from Craig M. a few years ago at the Harford show. So we cut this one to the right length and joined the two halves together…

I taped up both the grill and the cowl and then covered the grill shell with several blankets to make sure we didn’t scratch it. Then with the help of my Brother and my Dad, we carried the hood over, carefully set it on the shell, and then I guided it into the chrome end pieces with Jason and my Dad on each side…

After the hood was on we realized the truck had a ‘nose bleed’ since the grill was too high. There was really no way to lower the grill (for several reasons), so I wound up raising the cab slightly. Once we raised the front of the cab we also had to lower the rear of the cab to close up the gap on the bottom of the hood (which you can only tell from the driver side due to the air cleaner on the pass side.)

One thing I should mention is that I drained the antifreeze from the radiator and removed the hoses. The hoses were preventing us from adjusting the shell properly. It took some time but we were finally able to line everything up and remove the tape. We also dug out the emblems for the hood as well. The gold emblems were an eBay score while the NOS dogs came from Craig M. a few years back. The original dogs were in great shape but we used those on the mirrors. I only had one or two speed or PAL nuts for the emblems and they were rusty, and it turns out McMaster Carr has new ones for $6 a box…

In the meantime my Dad removed the paint from the hood latch plates and polished them since they were stainless…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:47 am

So now that the hood was done, we took it for another ride and parked it by the 155W!

Last weekend our glass guy dropped off the door glass so we decided to set the vent windows into place. Fortunately the weather stripping was in decent shape since they are impossible to find…

And you guessed it, after that my Dad went for another ride!

I wanted to install the extensions for the cowl and the grill shell, so I dug out the rear braces for the cowl extensions…

And during the week we dug out the grill shell extensions and the brackets that keep them parallel to the hood…

And then finished the pass side…

And then the driver side…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

Then we moved onto the SS skirts we made to fit under the factory cab skirts. We installed the factory skirts two weeks ago along with the new Diesel emblems (another eBay score)… So we drilled the holes for the lights and chrome light guards and set one of the SS skirts in place…

We’ll save the driver side for another day since I need to notch it to clear the power steering hoses.

Now that it’s October, I figured I better get one more load of parts painted before it gets too cold. We have been really fortunate with the warm weather this past week so I decided to shoot for Saturday. So dug out some of the interior parts that needed to be completed, which include plates that hold the weather stripping in place, etc… The back side of the upper pass side plate was deeply pitted and if you remember I had to weld a new piece in the roof here. Fortunately it didn’t rust through…

I also disassembled the trolley valve so I could paint that as well, just like in the 155W…

And then started hanging everything…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 am

And then first thing Saturday morning we started shooting everything…

And then Sunday morning we laid everything out…

So that’s it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 am

Nice Tom! I'm lovin' those SS Cab Skirts!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:19 pm

Perfect Tom! Won't be long now! It's too bad we're coming up on fall and winter. With another month or two, you'd be done enough for a nice ride on the highway!
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion