E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby H762TL » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Emery Johnston wrote:Can't wait to see it in person at the show this summer. If it doesn't fit perfectly I'd be inclined to blame it on TomCat wearing that "off brand" cap !!
Nice as always, I love the SS stuff.

Emery

Absolutely nothing wrong with that brand!!
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby Sled Dog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 am

Tom; have you by any chance kept tract of the hours the two of you have put into the 361 plus the dollars ?
Sled Dog

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:23 pm

GROAN!! Peter it's a hobby and a spouse could use it against you!!
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:07 pm

I don't keep track of our time spent on the truck. If I were to guess, it would probably be around 1000 hours. That's exactly what I spent on the Batmobile. In saying that, the 155W took 6 years to complete and the 361 will be around 5. So I'm not working full time on the trucks, just when time permits after work and on weekends. And I work s l o w ...

I do have all the receipts for the truck but have not totaled everything up (and I probably won't). We are building this to keep... I do have all of my receipts in case I need to look something up or help someone else out with a part number, etc.

Counting hours and dollars would feel too much like work, so I try to avoid that when I'm in the garage :)
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 pm

This past weekend I decided to work on the cab skirts. Our original skirts were in rough condition so I decided to make new ones. They weren’t beyond repair, but they are only bent 16 gauge sheet metal so I figured it would be easier to make my own rather than repair the old ones. For some time I had this idea of making a stainless skirt to sit below the original skirt, similar to an aftermarket ‘Panelite’ kit you would buy today for a cab and sleeper on a Pete or Kenworth.

So I figured if I was making new skirts I would add a 1” lip to the bottom of them as well. To make sure they would work and look ok, I decided to make some cardboard mock ups…

After cutting the pattern out I bent all the correct angles…

Then I made another pattern to simulate the lower stainless piece… I made this 3” deep since you see about 3” of the factory skirt.

More to follow...
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:08 pm

With some clothespins and some masking tape I installed the mockup on the truck and was happy with the proportions. You can see how I followed the front angle down into the stainless…

In the meantime I ordered two 5’ x 4” pieces of #8 finish stainless steel from the same place on line that I got the fuel tank straps from. Once they arrived I had Cox Sheetmetal in Scranton bend me two pieces of 16 gauge, 6’ long each. When I went to pick them up, they also bent the stainless pieces I bought (my sheet metal brake is only 4’ long…)

So on Friday night here is what we started with…

More to follow...
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Then we started marking each piece…

And then starting cutting each piece with the 3” cutoff wheel and Dremel. I radiused all of the inside cuts, etc to make a cleaner looking piece…

When we were done with the back sides we moved to the front…

I also went over all of the sharp edges with 80 grit and here I am posing for the camera so my Dad could take some pics…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:11 pm

When all of the cutting was done, I started marking all the holes that needed to be drilled. First the factory mounting holes on top and then the holes on the bottom to mount the stainless…

I duplicated all the cuts on the stainless pieces and drilled the mounting holes as well. When they were done I bolted them to the top pieces…

I was just getting ready to put the pieces in the brake when I decided to drill the holes for the ‘Diesel’ script emblems. ..

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Then we marked where each bend needed to happen…

And then we moved and adjusted some of the fingers on the brake. My intention was to bend both the regular and stainless pieces together, so that the bends lined up perfectly. ..

And here is how the rear turned out, (1) 90 and (2) 45’s… Not too bad …

Then we moved onto the front bend which is only a few degrees…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:24 pm

After all of the bends were done, I trial fit the pieces and then marked the mounting holes in the floor. I replaced the rotted side pieces with 6” C channel, so I had plenty of thickness. So instead of nuts and bolts I drilled and tapped the holes to 1/4x28…

Then finally by the end of the day yesterday we installed both pieces… wow, what a lot of work, but we’re really happy with the way it turned out…

One thing is for sure, we will be using tons of green masking tape when we go to install these. They are very difficult to fit into place without scratching the back of the cab.

Well that’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:15 am

Looks great Tom! How much clearance do you think you will have over the top of the fuel tanks?
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 am

Good question Stan... Our battery boxes used to sit much higher that the top of the fuel tank. I did notice that most of them I looked at were flush with the top of the tank, so when I installed the new boxes I leveled them off. With my new cab mounts, etc, I should have about 2" between the top of the tank and the SS skirt. I measured it a dozen times but you never know :)
oldspwr

Postby paulgcgpr » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Looks great as usual. I never had thought about it before but I wonder what made them put the two 45's in the back corner instead of a radius to match the cab corner?
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 am

One of the things I wasn’t able to locate was a new Kysor of Cadillac decal for the engine shutdown system. I did some research and found out that Kysor was bought by Medallion Instrumentation Systems. I did contact them and this is what they had available…

I really wanted to use the correct decal so I scanned the original one and found a place online that could re-create it for me. So I contacted Nate at http://www.clickitandstickit.com and he made me a faithful reproduction that was reasonable priced. I did ask him to radius the corners (which I thought would help prevent it from getting caught on something when cleaning it, etc…

And here is the finished product installed… They really did a nice job on it…

I still had some loose ends to tie up with the cab skirts so I decided to sandblast the cowl extensions so I could mark and drill the front mounting holes…

After they were installed I drilled the front holes and then drilled and tapped the rear mounting holes as well…

I also did a little more trimming on them which made it 10 times easier to install. Like I mentioned earlier, they were pretty hard to install without scratching anything so the little bit of trimming I did really helped out…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:03 am

Duplicate...
Last edited by oldspwr on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 am

Now that the skirts were done I wanted to move onto the doors. In my 155W I replaced the factory latches with bear claws. Although they work well now, it took me some time to make everything right. I used a medium sized latch but had issues with the mounting bolts coming loose, etc. I really wanted to upgrade the latches on this truck as well but did want to have the same problems. I realize I could have upgraded to the push button latches from the later 300 series cabs but I like the turn down handles and already had the original ones re-chromed a few years back. So after some measuring I decided to order USA made full size bear claw latches. So on Saturday morning we pulled the driver side door of and started working on it…

I drilled the spot welds that held the original latch in place (but realized it is easier to just cut it out with a 3” cutoff wheel) Then I made a filler piece out of 16 gauge…

And fit it in place…

And then welded it in…

After it was welded in I started trimming the door to fit the latch…

And then did some filing and sanding…

And finally installed the latch…

After we finished the driver side we did the passenger side as well…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 am

Sunday was a good day… my buddy Mike started the body work on the cab! The roof was in decent shape (not like the 155W that looked like someone tap danced on it…) But there were a few dents and once fairly good one. So my Dad and Mike started working on the dents…

And the pictures give you an idea of our progress…

Well that’s it for now, it should be a productive week so I’ll keep you posted!
oldspwr

Postby DzlNut775 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:13 am

Lookin great Toms!! New bear claw latches look better (& safer) than factory! I heard you had a visitor over the weekend. Sorry I wasn't able to make it up, but at least I got the baby's room finished :mrgreen:
Rob Polcha - DzlNut775
Clark's Summit, PA
DzlNut775

Postby H762TL » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Looks great!! I like how that decal turned out.
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 am

Tom - great job as usual! Please post as much detail as you can on the latch modification, including what will need to be done on the striker post. That is a great idea and the oem Brockway slam latch is getting hard to find a good one.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion