E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 am

Thanks for the comments Stretch!

This past week we removed the bumper so that we could paint the back of it…

This bumper is off of a 761 and although it’s not perfect, it’s not too bad. The chrome is pretty decent but there are marks in it where the grill guard was attached. But for now this is what we are going to use… After removing it we set it on some horses and removed the aluminum filler pieces we made last week. Then we wire brushed it and wiped it down with some thinner…

Using some foam brushes we first primered it with some Rustoleum…

And then the next night we finished it off with some deluxe ‘bright aluminum’ Rustoleum… This stuff takes a while to dry so we let it set until Friday night.

If you notice in the background, we have the truck covered with tarps. My buddy Mike was getting his truck ready to paint the rockers and cab corners we installed so we covered everything up in the garage.

On Friday we drilled the mounting holes for the stainless license plate frame…

And then we bolted the bumper back on the truck. I wanted to put a gasket between the aluminum infill pieces and the bumper, so I used a 1/2” self adhesive cork I bought from McMaster Carr. I put one piece on the bumper…

And one piece on the aluminum…

More to follow…
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 am

After we were done with the bumper we moved onto the aluminum pieces that mount on top of the fender. I found one of the original pieces and used it as a pattern for the mounting holes. I set the original pieces on top of the glass fenders and the ‘bolt heads’ that were in the glass lined right up with the factory aluminum piece. Here is the new piece compared to the old piece…

I then marked up the original piece with all the dimensions and then transferred the dimensions onto the new piece…

After we drilled the holes in both pieces, I radiused the corners, set them in place and drilled the mounting holes. I was getting ready to bolt them to the fender but decided to clean up the edges first… You can see how bad the edge is in this pic, so I looked at the original fenders and 761 fenders just to see what it was supposed to look like…

With the help of the 3” cutoff wheel and a board sanders, I wound up with this…

After I cleaned up the edges on both fenders, I moved onto the ‘diamonds’ that were part of the glass fender. So we needed to remove these so I could bolt the aluminum plates flush on the fender. So I pulled out our vintage belt sander and got to work…

Within a short amount of time we were down to this…

Then we bolted the new plates onto the top of the fender and dug out the new marker lights and side mirrors…

My Dad wants the factory side marker lights installed in the new glass fenders, so I made a pattern of the hole from one of the original fenders…

We spent some time lining up the lights and mirrors and then drilled all the mounting holes…

Then we mounted the fender back on the truck and took a picture with Maddie sitting on it just for Emery… (we got about 6” of snow so the kids were enjoying it while they could… it was 46 deg on Monday!!!)

That’s it for now!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:24 am

LOL!! Thanks Tom. Maddy looks like I felt as a kid. All bundled up to the point I could barely move. She's a sweetie Pie. I'm not sure how consistent she'll prove as a size reference though. She's getting bigger by the day. Oh Yeah!! And the fenders look good too!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:25 am

The picture taped to the grill?? Is that the paint scheme we're shooting for?
Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 am

Hi Emery...

You're very observant.... We will follow the paint scheme in the picture except the gold will be red and the red will be white. In other words, it will be painted just like my 155W except the red from the roof will continue down the door and continue across the very top of the hood.
oldspwr

Postby H762TL » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am

Looks fabulous!!! Thought it was going to be blue? I think the white and red will look good in that show truck scheme regardless!!!
Jeff Shaw
67 N257T-74-66269
03 Chevy Duramax work in progress
H762TL

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey! Haven't we seen Maddy in that show on TV called "Southpark" ?
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Jeff... you are right... our original intention was to paint it blue. But now my Dad wants our 'fleet colors', red and white!

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but you guessed it, we spent this past week working on the fenders again… Boy will I be glad when these are done!!! I figured I would share the good and the bad of the restoration so here is something we were struggling with…

At the end of last weekend the pass fender was 100% lined up and tightened in place… If you look at this pic, you can see how the aluminum filler plate is fairly parallel with the fender…

But on the driver side it was way out of line. At first I thought the fender was out of square (which it is a little bit), but after taking a handful of measurements it looked like the aluminum plate was not parallel with the bumper.

So we took the bumper off again and checked the aluminum plates with a string line…

It turns out the holes on the top plate of the bumper are not identical on both sides (driver & pass) so when I used the pass side for reference, it put me way out of line on the driver side. So I made another quick cardboard pattern and re-checked it with the string line…

After I was happy with the pattern, I used it to mark the aluminum pate and then I trimmed it with the cut off wheel. In the meantime I had ordered stainless bolts from Totally Stainless in Gettysburg PA to mount the bumper. I ordered the bolts along with AN washers and AN lock nuts…

My buffing wheel was shot so I replaced it with a new one and started buffing the bolts. This isn’t a great pic, but you get the idea of before and after… The SS bolts and washers look great when polished…

After I finished polishing everything, we bolted the bumper back on the truck and decided to drill the last few holes we needed in the fenders… My Dad wanted beehive lights for the side marker lights so I picked up a pair of amber LED lights along with SS bezels from TruckLite…

We then drilled the mounting holes for lights…

And then drill the final mounting holes for the diagonal arms for the mirrors…

And here are the final pics of each side… We may replace the square lights with round lights since we have the side marker lights but I’m not 100% sure yet…

I really needed to work on something else besides the fenders so I figured I would rebuild the steering box. I was able to located a seal kit from a place in Texas called Steering Rebuilders and Truck Parts (http://www.srtp.us)

More on this to follow…
oldspwr

Postby anthony masone sr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi Tom! As usual everything looks good I wish I had your patience.
I am struggling with the alignment of the hood panels it seems as though there isn't much I could do after about five hours I just got it to a point and just left it alone. :?
:?: I have two questions Tom.
Rubber gasket on hinge side of the inside of door and bottom of door
(Restoration specialty) I have there catalog I can't seem to locate the gasket that would go in there could you help me out. Thanks Tony. :idea:
Tony's Brockway Pick Up
anthony masone sr

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Nice Tom!!It's really nice to see a 361 with square/plumb fenders!! :-)

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Hey Tony...

The door weather stripping is made by Bob Drake, 1/2 round hollow core, 3/8" wide... Here is the link... http://www.bobdrake.com Here is the page from their catalog...

The bulb seal, which is the weather stripping on both the top and bottom of the doors is available from McMasterCarr...

Here is the link... Refer to style 2...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=g18kxz
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Tom - while Brockway trucks were built by craftsman and are a quality truck, you are beginning to see some of the many variables that plagued the assemblers. There are so many pieces to line up, that it can get to be a tough job to make it nice. Your's is certainly NICE! That is going to be one of the best 361's built (rebuilt?) Keep up the good work! Again, we all thank you for taking the time to take pictures of everything and then explain the process. Your project is the "hit" of our site and is an inspiration to all of us.
Last edited by Huskiedrive361 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Augustine

V360TL
Huskiedrive361

Postby STRETCH » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:43 pm

I WILL CERTAINLY 2nd and 3rd THAT MOTION THAT STAN HAS STATED!!!!

THANKS FOR THE INSPIRATION!!!and DOCUMENTATION!!

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby BrockwayNick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 pm

WOW! I look forward every chance I get to look at this post for updates, and I'am never disappointed. You guys do better work than the factory. Your attention to detail is awesome. I just have one suggestion. All the lights on the truck are round ( roof markers, side markers, and headlights ) I think it would look better with the round style lollipop turn/ marker lights on top of the front fenders. Just my opinion though. By the way I'am good friends Fred Richards two boys, Fred and Paul. We work together pulling dump trailers. I mentioned your name and Fred said you live down the road from them. Would it be alright if the next time I'am up to there house I could stop by and see your build in person? I would love to pick your brain about some Brockway stuff.
BrockwayNick

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

Yeah!! What Stan said!!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby oldspwr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:58 am

Thanks for everyones comments...

Brockway Nick... you are always welcome to stop by... I'll PM you my cell #...

At the end of my last post I mentioned I was able to find a rebuild kit for the Sheppard 592 power steering box. So this Saturday we decided to rebuild the box. The box is crazy heavy, so I used the cherry picker to set it up on the work bench, along with the manual and the rebuild kit…

Here is a pic of the kit I bought from Texas. It includes all the o-rings, seals and gaskets for the box…

The rebuild is fairly simple, and we tore right into it…

Here is a pic of the piston… I was surprised to see that it didn’t have any rings, but I talked to Stan and he mentioned that it wasn’t uncommon in some of these boxes…

We also pressed the actuating shaft out of the bearing cap so that we could replace the seals… The bearing was tight and in good shape so we reused it…

After we had completely stripped the housing, chased all the threaded holes…

Then I took it outside and wire brushed it…

After the box was cleaned, I brought it back in and wiped it down with thinner… Here is a pic with Maddie (just so Emery can understand just how big this box is!!!)

After the housing itself was clean, we focused on cleaning the remaining parts in the parts cleaner, and when we were done this is what we had…

And then we started reassembling it…

The bearing cap was a little confusing, since there were a total of (3) seals and a washer. One seal was an outside dust seal and the other two were internal separate by a washer. When I knocked the old ones out they hit the bench before I could see that order they were in (and I didn’t realize there were more than one inside…)

Then after reassembling the last few parts and picking up some new bolts, this is what we wound up with…

Not too bad for a days work! That’s it for now…
oldspwr

Postby anthony masone sr » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:26 am

Nice job Tom! as usual the details are always perfect.
:roll: Looking back when I put the steering box in the 358 you reminded me of how heavy it was and working by myself.
:roll: Looking back it's always a pleasure. thank you Tony
Tony's Brockway Pick Up
anthony masone sr

Postby Emery Johnston » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks Tom!! We all appreciate a pretty girl. One question?? Does it work?

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby brockwaytrucksofct » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Looking great Tom you guys do great work.
brockwaytrucksofct

Postby oldspwr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm

This past weekend we decided to start working on the front axle. I originally planned on holding off until spring, but with the way the weather has been, I figured we might as well get the front end back under the truck and make the truck a ‘roller’ again…

This was the front axle we bought from Stan a while back. It’s from a ’76 760 and is a Rockwell FF931. I had it stored on two car dolly’s which made it fairly easy to move around. Notice the minor ‘toe out’ :)

The first thing we started on was removed the tie rod. We needed some muscle to remove the 1 5/16” nuts so Tommy came out to help us…

After the nuts were off, I used a GM pitman arm removal tool to press the tie rod ends out. The first one came easy and popped right out. The second one wasn’t as easy and took some effort, but after a while it came out…

Since the tie rod had a pretty good curve to it we decided to use the original one from the 361 axle. I had moved the axle outside last summer to make some room in the garage…

The tie rod ends also came off fairly easy and we took it in the garage and worked on removing the ends from the shaft… It took some heat to break it use and fortunately the last guy who worked on it used Never Seize on the threads. I also cut the tack weld that held the clamps on so I could remove those as well…

We also dug out the drag links that connect the pitman arm to the spindle and removed the tie rods ends from those as well. I am pretty sure that none of these will work since the short ones are from forward axle trucks (760 and 385) and the long one is the original one from the manual steering on the 361. So more than likely it I will have to shorten the long one. I plan on using Quadbox’s 361 for a reference since he also has power steering.

After we were done with the tie rod ends we decided to remove the king pins. Even with the tie rod removed, you could barley move the spindles with a large rubber mallet. I planned on replacing the king pins regardless, so it wasn’t a problem. I knew we had to use the press to remove the pins, so we dug out the cherry picker to help lift and move the axle.

After a little ‘maneuvering’, we were able to get everything lined up…

The first pin came out easy but the second one took a little more effort. After both pins were out and the axle was back on the ground, I realized this axle originally had 4” spacers under the springs. To keep the spacers in line, they used short 1” pins in the holes the center bolts of the springs would usually line up in. These little pins took almost as long to remove as the king pins!

So when all was said and done for the weekend, I decided to roll over one of the steer tires and mock it up under the truck and then take some overall pics…

That’s it for now!
oldspwr

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion