E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

A general forum for all things Brockway.

Moderator: 359Huskidrive

Re: E361T Progress - NEW PROJECT!

Postby oldspwr » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm

We let the frame sit for a few days and finally had some time to work on in Friday night. We were planning on going to one of our local cruises with the 155W, but the weather forecast didn't look that great so we stayed home. So the first thing we did was move the frame back to it's original spot...

Once we had the frame in place I wanted to set the motor in place... I had the motor covered up over by my work bench and it was a tight fit getting it over to the middle of the garage...

After laying out a few blankets we carefully set the Detroit back in place. I used some heavy rubber under the front motor mount and used new polyurethane bushings from Craig M. on the rear mounts...

After we were done with the motor we installed the clutch. Stan had bought this clutch originally for his truck but decided to go in a different direction so we purchased this one from him... (thanks again Stan!) Stan also had a new input shaft for us, and you can see here that I used it to aline the clutch discs...

Then the first thing Saturday morning we installed the new input shaft in the trans. I think the hardest part of the install was getting the internal snap ring back into place...

After the shaft was installed we slid the trans under the frame and then used the cherry picker to install it...

We had some trouble with the fork going over the throw out bearing and we ran out of time so we packed it in for the night. Then on Sunday we picked up where we left off. I just walked in the garage when Russ Bachman called and asked if we were going to be in the garage. If you remember, Russ has the real nice yellow and green 360 that debuted at Harford last year. On a side note, he will be following us up to Cortland this year as well...

Anyway, Russ helped us line the trans up and it slid right it...

After installing the trans we cleaned up our tools and had a camp fire in the backyard. (We used a Dayton rim for the camp fire and this seems to be the best use of a Dayton rim that I have found to date.)

On Monday myself and Tommy drove the 155W in a parade in Clarks Summit to help them celebrate 100 years of being a borough. After the parade, we went back in the garage and started working on the radiator. I wheeled it over from the other side of the garage and uncovered it. You can see that I installed (2) eye hooks in place of (2) bolts on the upper tank...

Then using the cherry picker we lowered it into place...

It was a busy holiday weekend and by the end of the day yesterday we were ready to call it a night!

So that's it for now
oldspwr

Postby Huskiedrive361 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:45 pm

Looks better than it did on the line in 1970 !!!!!! Glad the clutch worked out for you. Not too much longer and you will have a full rolling chassis. Stan
Huskiedrive361

Postby Brockway700 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 pm

Looks beautiful, Keep up the good work!!
- Ted Bombola
Brockway700

Postby STRETCH » Tue May 31, 2011 8:28 pm

I know I keep saying it , "FANTASTIC"!!!!

Stretch 8)
STRETCH

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue May 31, 2011 8:29 pm

Well Tom, seems we finally got a rise out of you!!

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby 776brock » Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 pm

That looks beautiful!What color is the cab going to be and will it be the origional color? Are you going to install a/c? ( just thought I would ask ) I live in N.C. about 2 hrs north of Charlotte! Was 95 today.

Nick
776brock

Postby Emery Johnston » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:10 am

Nick, I've got a wedding in High Point this weekend. Is Graham near there?

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby woody » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Looks great! It's always fun when things are coming back together.
woody

Postby 776brock » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 pm

High point is only about 30 minutes.I lived in Charlotte from 1995 until 2002, was service manager and designed new shop on South blvd.for Arnold Palmer Cadillac. I lived near Piper Glen.Where are you at?

Nick
776brock

Postby Emery Johnston » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:17 pm

Nick, I lived down Carmel road until I seperated and now live on Tyvola road. My office is near Park Road Shopping center.

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby 776brock » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes,know the area well.I really miss living there.Lots of creature comforts and things to do, the traffic however,take some getting used to.My son still lives there in South Charlotte. I miss the Charlotte Checkers hockey games.

Nick
776brock

Postby brockwaytrucksofct » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:08 pm

As always Tom an Tom outstanding work.
brockwaytrucksofct

Postby paulgcgpr » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:17 am

Am I the only one who's dying for the next update from the boys from Gouldsboro, PA? :o
paulgcgpr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:17 am

Yes, you’re right, I am way overdue for an update!!!

When we last left off we had the motor, trans and radiator installed in the frame. After staring at it for a few days I decided that I wanted to bolt a grill shell on it to see what it would look like (keep in mind the truck has been apart since 2004... so these little things are a big deal...)

So I dug out a beat up chrome grill shell we scored off of eBay a few years ago...

After wrestling with getting the 5/16x24 bolts out, we cleaned it up with some brillo, chased all the bolts holes, installed a 361 badge, bolted a decent dog on and then finally set it on the radiator!

Then I decided to start installing some of the misc. brackets, like the bumper and fender brackets...

And the I bolted the rear crossmember on (that the fuel lines fasten to between tanks...)

And then we installed the brackets for the battery boxes as well as the exhaust section that bolts to the manifold...

While I was getting some other parts ready my Dad was fitting the new spring pins in the hangers...

I bought new battery boxes from Paul P. and the mounting holes needed to be drilled. Our original boxes were heavily buckled from rust, so these were a great replacement. For whatever reason, our original boxes were mounted very high on the brackets, maybe 2-3" above the height of the fuel tank. I wanted them level with the tank, so I temporarily bolted on the passenger side tank and use an ATV floor jack with some 4x4's to position them in place...

I then decided to fabricate a bracket to hold the battery disconnect switch. I wound up buying a new Cole Hersee USA made switch off eBay... Unfortunately I think most of the new ones you find are made in Mexico...

More to follow!!!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:35 am

Now that we had all the painted brackets installed, I decided to install the shifter tower.

In my collection of parts I had the spring for the bottom of the tower along with a large O ring, but I quickly realized it was the wrong O wrong. A friend of my Dad's gave me the white book in the picture which is a rebuild manual for the RT910. The blue book was a parts book I scored of eBay for $9 and what a great help it has been. I was able to Google the correct O ring, find out the number was superseded (twice!), and then call the local distributor in Scranton and buy a new one with hardened washer for a grand total of $3.71!

After finally getting the large spring in place I went ahead and installed the shifter tower...

Then we moved on to the range selector. When we originally brought the truck home in 2004, the selector didn't work and we couldn't get out of the low side of the box. So at that time I found a new Fuller one on eBay and had stuffed it away...

Then we moved on to the air filter and regulator for the trans. This is an old Purolator PF-2001 unit that was extremely rusty and the aluminum was corroded. I was able to buy a new air filter from Napa but just recently realized some internal parts are missing. I believe they are the same as the ones used in a filter housing for a oil boiler, like a Unifilter Model 77 (or something like that...) so I will have to try to locate one...

More to follow!!!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:12 am

Two weeks ago I decided that this past weekend would be a good time to paint. I was tired of tripping over the 5th wheel in the garage, so I figured it would be a great time to work on it. So we gathered all the parts for the sandblaster...

So my Dad ran the parts over to the sandblaster and then we started working on other items to get painted. We made a plate to fit underneath the 5th wheel (since I liked how the plate looks on my 155W). Three edges were cut by me with a cutoff wheel but one edge was cut with a plasma cutter. It was a fairly clean cut but still wasn't right, so I put a skim coat of filler on it to make it right. (This is the part where Emery will bust my chops, just like feathering the paint on the radiator... just remember Emery... ANY JOB WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING RIGHT :) )

After my Dad picked up the sandblasted parts, I quickly remembered that I forgot to give him the air tank and fuel tank brackets... so I wound up throwing them in my booth to sandblast them. I don't mind, it just takes a lot of time...

While I was sandblasting, I took a break to let the compressor catch up, and saw my Dad hanging off of the drill press... Just a word of caution... nothing good can come from a guy hanging off a drill press!!!!!!!!!

So by the end of the week I was starting to get garage fever and realized I needed to take a well deserved break. So on Saturday morning I took a trip to the local U-Pull_It yard that now has a big truck section (D's U Pull It in Dunmore...) I was looking for a set of air tanks... Our truck originally had one split tank mounted on the rear frame rail and I wanted to upgrade to (2) separate tanks under the battery boxes. I got the brackets from the 361 with the jake so all I needed was decent tanks. (The original ones were rusted through...) I was started to get discouraged since most of the tanks I found were really rusty, but then I found a Freightliner with a leaky trans... jackpot! I scraped the oil off of a section to find nice clean paint under them! These tanks are 9" in diameter and around 27" long which are very close to the originals...

So my Dad quickly went to work cleaning them up...

Shortly thereafter we put them in the booth and started sandblasting them...

While my Dad was working on that I was trying to get everything else ready. I wanted to paint the clutch pedal assembly but couldn't find the small tab the spring fastens to. So after digging around a little I was finally able to find it. Looks like the springs was almost worn clean through!!!

So I fixed it quick with the mig welder...

More to follow!!!
oldspwr

Postby oldspwr » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:21 am

So later in the afternoon on Saturday we started hanging everything to paint...

We used the forklift to hang the 5th with a piece of 1/2" threaded rod...

Then we used the rack to hang a majority of the rest...

I also wound up taping off the top of the airbags to paint... when I ordered the bags we kep getting the wrong ones, and when the right ones finally showed up, they were two different finishes, so I figured I would just shoot them red...

And then we started off with the self etching primer and so on...

When I pulled the paint out I quickly realized I was short one gallon of basemaker for the color... I'm not sure what happened, but I would have bet money I had everything I needed. Once I realized just how much I had, I was only able to shoot a few parts. So I painted the 5th, the plate, the air bags and the tanks...

That's it for now!!!
oldspwr

Postby Emery Johnston » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am

Tom, As usual, Nice Job! Otherwise, "No Comment" other than "I Rest My Case!"

Emery
1949 260XW Resto Project
Emery Johnston

Postby DetroitDiesel1271 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Tom you and your father are inspiring, you can see the passion in all that work.
Stephen L.

"Like a Detroit Diesel pirate ship heading out again"

K361TL
U459TL
DetroitDiesel1271

Postby paulgcgpr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks guys, it's a pleasure following along to see the great work of three generations.
paulgcgpr

PreviousNext

Return to Brockway Trucks Discussion